Posted by pkoopman on 3/2/2018 9:13:00 AM (view original):
It has been used here for a while by some coaches. Other coaches - and I am by no means the only one - point out that it’s use fosters misunderstandings about the game. It means something illegal or unfair happened (unless you’re using it figuratively as the other form of the verb, to boil in its shell, in which case, carry on, I guess). There is nothing illegal or unfair about a D1 team coming in late on a player that another team thought they were in good shape on. It’s absurd to think that a D1 can “poach” a recruit from a D3 team. That’s why I said something.

Some people will call this nerdy, and would be disappointed if I didn’t point out word usage is grammar, not science. I don’t care about word usage because I need everything to be correct. 9 Times out of 10, I don’t care about the misuse of words. This one in particular jacks people’s expectations in this game. One could make a convincing case that a big part of 3.0 dissatisfaction is rooted in a misguided belief that when a coach pulls out in the lead on a player, that player is their possession; and when someone moves in on said player, someone is trying to take something from them. Enjoying this version of the game requires getting over that notion, IMO.
Well stated.
3/2/2018 9:49 PM
Why not +1 or ?
3/3/2018 6:45 AM
Posted by Benis on 3/1/2018 9:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/1/2018 9:05:00 AM (view original):
As an example, there are 10 in Iba. The top DIII player in that world has a 903 rating. I also found 6 in Naismith but none in Knight.
903! Jeeez and that guy is only a Junior.

Remember when people said D3 teams weren't going to get better with the transition to 3.0

ha.
This has taken the fun out of the lower levels.
3/5/2018 10:44 PM
Does it? I don't think so at all. At every level of sports, excluding professionals, you often find one man playing against boys.

FWIW, my guy has 6 double doubles in 7 games and missed the other by 1 rebound. I'm finding his numbers quite enjoyable.

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Richard Randall - Game Log - Smith - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

3/6/2018 6:28 AM
Posted by poncho0091 on 3/5/2018 10:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 3/1/2018 9:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 3/1/2018 9:05:00 AM (view original):
As an example, there are 10 in Iba. The top DIII player in that world has a 903 rating. I also found 6 in Naismith but none in Knight.
903! Jeeez and that guy is only a Junior.

Remember when people said D3 teams weren't going to get better with the transition to 3.0

ha.
This has taken the fun out of the lower levels.
Yeah I agree. This is why I dropped my D3 teams, it's just not different enough to be worth playing IMO. I find the overall competition to be much higher in D1/D2 than D3. The easy credits are really nice though.

I'd enjoy playing D3 if all the players had ratings in the 300s and 400s. I think that could be a lot of fun to try to make use of players who aren't great all around and are just good at one thing. It would be so much different than D1/D2 that you would actually want to play it for being unique.
3/6/2018 7:15 AM
I still really like D2 and D3. I prefer playing in competitive conferences but I still think recruiting and game planning is different than D1 (although not as much as it used to be).
3/6/2018 8:42 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/1/2018 8:31:00 AM (view original):
A little "Look at me" here but is it even somewhat common? I just checked the top 25 in Smith and it looks like there might be a couple more before the season is done but, right now, I think Randall is the lone club member.

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Richard Randall - Ratings - Smith - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3854567

My 800 in D3 is a Junior. Look at me! (ratings mean nothing, I know)
3/26/2018 12:08 PM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.