I need help with both depth chart and game planing Topic

I'm a new coach on a new team playing with some friends. I need some help so that I can at least stay competitive this season even though I have a lot of work to do in recruiting.

1. Below is my current roster. The AI wanted to start Fair @ SG and Frances @ PF, but I thought this was ideal.
PG J. Berry (PG) E. McIntee (SG) G. Cobb (PG)
SG E. McIntee (SG) M. Fair (SG) E. Smith (SG)
SF R. Hampton (SF) M. Fair (SG) E. Smith (SG)
PF J. Longo (SF) L. Smith (PF) D. Frances (PF)
C C. Thompson (C) D. Frances (PF) L. Wilson (PF)
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=13391

2. Right now I am using a 123 system for the play distribution. 3 - Berry, McIntee, Hampton. 2 - Fair, Thompson, Longo. 1 rest of roster. Not sure how you would do it but im sure it needs adjusted.

McIntee is +2 3pt, Hampton is +1 3pt, the rest are 0 or below.

3. I know my team's defense is very bad and wanted to switch to a zone or HC press/zone to help hide some of them but it looks like it would be better to stay at full court press for IQ reasons. Stamina as a team seems decent but I don't have the depth to run uptempo so I run a normal tempo. Should I run slow down so that my starters get more minutes? Please give me some feed back.

3/3/2018 9:21 PM (edited)
I think your lineup is more or less as good as you can put together with the team you have.

For distribution, I’d move McIntee up to 5 or 6, have Berry, Hampton and Thompson at 3, and everyone else either 0, 1, or 2 depending on IQ. For 3pt, McIntee at +2 is fine. I’d put Berry at 0, Hampton at -1, and everyone else at -2.

I love HCpress/zone, but you’ll take a hit for a couple years building zone IQ. I would probably play slow down to keep your starters on the floor.
3/3/2018 9:44 PM
I appreciate you taking time to help a noob like me. I will make some adjustments and see how I do from there.
3/3/2018 10:06 PM
Welcome. Keep asking stuff best way to speed up your team progress. Gl recruiting
3/3/2018 10:48 PM
Wowza, you took over a SIM team with some duds. This will be a tough rebuild. Here's what I'd do

Looks like you're already doing Flex/Press - which I really like at all levels. I'd stick with that personally.

You're pretty limited on lineup options but what you have is fine. I might switch McIntee to starting PG and Berry as backup with Cobb as starting SG. This gets Berry coming off the bench where his weak ath/def won't hurt as much.

For your cut list- I'd dump these players

Frances
Vaughan
Wilson
Smith

I saw you Redshirted Vaughn but honestly it's a waste. His ONE athleticism is unbelievably bad. You can do MUCH better - 100% guaranteed.

I'd give Mcintee either +1 or +2. Hampton and Berry -1 and the rest -2. For rest of distribution, I usually do out of 100 or close to it. Here is what my distro for NMSU looks like .

I like this way because it lets me jack up the distro for guys coming off the bench who I want to score in limited minutes.
3/4/2018 9:18 AM
Good job asking for help moneil. This game has a slight learning curve that, I believe, is impossible to overcome without assistance from more experienced coaches. I wish more new coaches would spend a few minutes to post on here for advice. It will definitely get them to establish winning squads in a short amount of time.
3/4/2018 12:14 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 3/4/2018 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Good job asking for help moneil. This game has a slight learning curve that, I believe, is impossible to overcome without assistance from more experienced coaches. I wish more new coaches would spend a few minutes to post on here for advice. It will definitely get them to establish winning squads in a short amount of time.
Ditto. Looking back at my first 2 seasons in 3.0 on my own, in comparison to the rest of my seasons since I've reached out for help, is like night and day.

I needed to be taught how to compete. Never would've learned on my own. At least when it comes to how high to reach for recruits. Shout to my mentors reading this
3/4/2018 3:32 PM
I need help with both depth chart and game planing Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.