Saber Question Topic

One of the things I love about WIS is stumbling across statistical oddities. Recently I ran across two pitchers from the same season:

Pitcher A: 198ip; ERA 2.87 ERC# 3.37; OAV .266 OAV# .274; WHIP 1.19 WHIP# 1.25
Pitcher B: 201ip; ERA 2.97 ERC# 3.35; OAV .268 OAV# .276; WHIP 1.19 WHIP# 1.25

About the same in all other statistical categories as well. The only significant differentiation is that Pitcher A had a record of 15-7 while Pitcher B went 7-16. If I'm a manager facing Game 7 of the World Series (real life, not SIM), and both these guys are well rested, I'm probably starting the guy with the better record even though it's a pretty meaningless statistic. I'm thinking about the team having more confidence in the pitcher and things like that. Can someone make a cogent argument that there's another reason to start one over the other? I'm perfectly willing to change my mind on this if someone can convince me.
3/5/2018 6:31 PM (edited)
Ignore the w-l, use your best...
3/5/2018 6:44 PM
Did one of them face significantly tougher opponents?

Does one of them do a lot worse the 3rd time through the order? It's game 7, so give me 5 innings of a guy who gets lit up the 3rd time through, and I'll pull him before he gets there.

This assumes that they both throw with the same hand.
3/6/2018 4:53 PM
Saber Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.