'Mega-Yarnell' Invitational (100) - Iba D2 Topic

Delayed tonight due to any internet outage...

The showcase Wayne St - Kennesaw St game with Yarnell title implications last night stayed even more or less until mid-way through the 2nd half. At 12:38, teams were knotted at 56-56. From that point, Kennesaw St started to edge ahead, building a 7 point lead, before Wayne St narrowed the game back to 2. Kennesaw tried to put it away, moving to an 11 point lead with less than 4 minutes remaining, before Wayne St again wouldn't go away getting to within 3 points. In the end, there wasn't enough time for Wayne St as Kennesaw St. hit all their free throws to ensure the victory and clinch the Yarnell.

One game remains, but Kennesaw St. has clinched the Mega-Yarnell title and will get the auto-invite for season. Still some good contests tonight. #21 Northeastern St. at #9 Wayne St would be the headlining game of the night. There remains a chance for a tie at the top (that Kennesaw St. would win anyway) if Bellarmine can pull of a victory. Longwood would need also to win against Dominican to draw even. While I would have liked to have seen another Northern Sun take the Yarnell this year, congrats to adlorenz and Kennesaw St on winning the Yarnell title this season with the expanded 10-team field. Fantastic job!!

STANDINGS
Kennesaw St. 7-1
Wayne St. 6-2
Longwood 6-2
Northeastern St. 5-3
Seattle 5-3
Bellarmine 4-4
Central Arkansas 3-5
Concord 2-6
Dominican 2-6
Gannon 0-8

ROUND NINE
#21 Northeastern St (6-3) +1 @ #9 Wayne St (7-2)
Gannon (1-8) +10 @ Central Arkansas (4-5)
#2 Kennesaw St (8-1) -10 @ Bellarmine (5-3)
#8 Longwood (7-2) -9 @ Dominican (3-6)
Concord (2-7) +10 @ #19 Seattle (6-3)

ROUND EIGHT RESULTS
Gannon 45 @ Northeastern St 68
NSU - K Dyson 16 (POG), B Weston 17/3blk
GU - D Mitchell 12, R Hayes 11

Wayne St 79 @ Kennesaw St 86
KSU - M Deck 27/4A (POG), R Silvia 12/11R
WSC - W Cole 16, K Azimi 11

Central Arkansas 50 @ Longwood 65
LU - D Baker 17 (POG), P Lass 15
UCA - A Bello 12/2blk, T Ray 8/8R

Bellarmine 103 @ Concord 83
BU - D Frank 18 (POG), M Lis 12/4A/4S
CC - R Kerns 18, T Jones 13

Dominican 67@ Seattle 70
SU - T Johnson 11/7R (POG), P Schoch 13
DC - J Garner 25, D Edgell 7/7A
3/15/2018 12:06 AM
Thanks for setting this up again long_ge, I realize it was a lot more work than normal, but I have to say it was pretty dang fun.

Good luck everyone who played and davidcrone, I want a rematch!
3/15/2018 1:08 PM
Congrats adlorenz, well done!!

HUGE thanks to long_ge for doing all the work to make this happen and do all the write ups as well. Lots of fun!!
3/15/2018 4:24 PM
With Kennesaw St already crowned Yarnell Champ for season 100, last night teams were mainly playing for pride (as well as positioning for the NT later). We saw perhaps the most exciting game of the tournament as Gannon took Central Arkansas into a second OT before prevailing 74-72. This game saw a 3 at the buzzer by Gannon to send the game past regulation, a 3 in the waning seconds of the 1st overtime by Central Arkansas to keep them game going into a second overtime, and then a shot with 1 second left in the second OT to win it for Gannon.

I just wanted to thank everyone for participating in this year's Mega-Yarnell. I kid you not when I say it was a minor miracle to make sure all the games got scheduled correctly - one mistake and it wouldn't have come off as well. I think this Yarnell was really fun and a great success. We might have to return to the 10-team Mega-Yarnell format every once in a while. Good luck to everyone on representing Yarnell teams well in the post-season, and whatever you do, don't go to D1...lol. I hope to see everyone back in the Yarnell in the future, and let me know if you ever think your team looks like it will be especially good in 2 seasons. It is hard for me to judge that far out and I cannot see potentials.

For anyone not in Iba D2 thinking about taking a team, again, it is a great D2 world with lots of history, competition, and active cc's. You have 2 power conferences in the Peach Belt and CVAC, but you also have plenty of conferences that are strong and maybe are only a couple of quality coaches from challenging the top tier. Of course, the Northern Sun leads the way there (I can say this since we currently are the 3rd ranked in RPI), and you also have several others (forgive me if I leave someone out) Cal CAA, Central Atlantic, GLV, Heartland, Lone Star, North American, NE10, Rocky Mtn, and West Va, among others.

Thanks to everyone and congrats to adlorenz and his Kennesaw St. squad.

STANDINGS
Kennesaw St. 8-1
Wayne St. 7-2
Longwood 7-2
Northeastern St. 5-4
Seattle 6-3
Bellarmine 4-5
Central Arkansas 3-6
Concord 2-7
Dominican 2-7
Gannon 1-8

ROUND NINE RESULTS
Northeastern St 60 @ Wayne St 81
WSC - R Coleman 19 (POG), W Cole 13
NSU - A Russo 13, N Smith 11

Gannon 74 @ Central Arkansas 72 2OT
GU - D Mitchell 21 (POG) D Roan 13
UCA - A Bello 26, D Pilliam 19/3S

Kennesaw St 66 @ Bellarmine 47
KSU - M Neal 12/7R (POG), R Keach 12
BU - C Sawyer 13, W Chen 9

Longwood 78 @ Dominican 74
LU - D Baker 16 (POG), L Walker 15
DC - E Wright 15, J Garner 14

Concord 65 @ Seattle 72
SU - T Matson 17 (POG), J Gengler 8/3S/2blk
CC - R Kerns 16, J Gaffney 9/14R
3/15/2018 6:20 PM
Posted by adlorenz on 3/15/2018 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for setting this up again long_ge, I realize it was a lot more work than normal, but I have to say it was pretty dang fun.

Good luck everyone who played and davidcrone, I want a rematch!
As long as it doesn't take place before the Final 4....haha.
3/17/2018 11:21 AM
Those SOS’s are starting to soar.
3/18/2018 10:36 AM
◂ Prev 123
'Mega-Yarnell' Invitational (100) - Iba D2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.