Minor League Overpaid Stiffs Topic

When taking over a team with a bunch of junk pitchers at AA that you demote (with their AA salaries) to RL or LoA and then leave them there (where they belong), what will their salary be next season?
3/7/2018 1:40 PM (edited)
I'm a newbie, but I don't think salary goes down for these players.
3/7/2018 1:10 PM
If they don't retire and their not minor league free agents it'll be whatever level their at
3/7/2018 1:11 PM
Posted by Hoss379 on 3/7/2018 1:11:00 PM (view original):
If they don't retire and their not minor league free agents it'll be whatever level their at
This is correct.

3/7/2018 4:31 PM
Salary is commensurate with the level. But guys are more likely to retire if kept at a much lower level after being at a higher level.
3/7/2018 10:01 PM
In my experience this is not true. A minor league player's salary will be the salary of the highest level he's ever reached. So, if you demote a AAA guy to High A, he's still going to get $55K.
3/8/2018 10:26 AM
Posted by lvnwrth on 3/8/2018 10:26:00 AM (view original):
In my experience this is not true. A minor league player's salary will be the salary of the highest level he's ever reached. So, if you demote a AAA guy to High A, he's still going to get $55K.
This is true in the season in which the player is demoted. But when season rolls over to new season, then the salary is set at the level at which the player is (so 3A $54K will be reduced to 2A $38K at new season roll over).
3/8/2018 10:36 AM
The most bogus part of free agency are the six-year minor league free agents. Somebody needs to explain to these guys and their agents that if they weren't able to get out of the minors in six years, they're not getting a multi-year deal at $3M a year. So, they sit out a year, and...if they don't retire...they come back for $60K, give or take.
3/19/2018 3:38 AM
Posted by jt2xTTU on 3/8/2018 10:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by lvnwrth on 3/8/2018 10:26:00 AM (view original):
This is true in the season in which the player is demoted. But when season rolls over to new season, then the salary is set at the level at which the player is (so 3A $54K will be reduced to 2A $38K at new season roll over).
Actually lvnwrth was correct. It appears that minor leaguers retain their higher salary into subsequent seasons as long as they remain in that club's minors.
4/5/2018 11:19 AM (edited)
I looked over one of my teams after seeing this thread. Apparently, I have Player Profile: Earle Cohen - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports ,who has never been higher than AA, making AAA money.
And Player Profile: Justin Beirne - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports, no higher than HiA, making AA money.

Anybody have any theories or explanations?

4/5/2018 1:12 PM (edited)
I'm not sure. Players on the 40-man roster jump to at least $54,500, but that doesn't seem to the case with Cohen. Perhaps he was added to the AAA roster without getting ABs at one point (I don't think promotion/ demotions are retained from prior years on the player card). Perhaps after a couple seasons at one level of pay they get advanced to higher pay regardless.
4/5/2018 2:19 PM (edited)
I do my promotions/demotions after the playoffs and I like to keep developing prospects at the level they start with. If I do promote them, I leave them up and they play to help with development. Those guys are defensive C, which I like to have, so I wouldn't juggle them around and risk rating penalties.

I do have players making above- level pay on my teams, bit they're career minor leaguers or tryout scrubs I sign for injury insurance. Those 2 I listed don't fit that bill so it's a little strange.

A side note... I didn't find any other examples from my other 2 worlds.
4/5/2018 2:42 PM
They both have 2+ years at a single level so perhaps the salaries go up after two full years at a given level.
4/5/2018 2:49 PM
Thanks, opie. Maybe that's it and I never paid attention before... I'll have to test that scenario sometime if I remember.
4/5/2018 3:06 PM
Minor League Overpaid Stiffs Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.