Tournament of Champions Topic

What is the deal that in the Tournament of Champions, the $80 million dollar capped teams are being thrown in against teams that have $100 million capped teams? My team won 112 games in my league and lost in 7 games in the World Series. Number 1 seeded team and face a number 8 seed team and get beat in 3 games by a combined score of 28-9. How is that even close to being fair?
3/7/2018 2:59 PM
1. $100M TOCs include teams with salaries between 90,000,001 and 100,000,000. AAA players' real life salaries are factored into this total, which is why you see 80M teams in 100M TOCs (i.e., the real life AAA salaries push the team total to at least 90,000,001).

2. Every team in a TOC is a World Series finalist, so even the lowest seeded teams are good. Also, seeds don't mean much when you remember the teams all come from different leagues.

3. Upsets, especially in a short series, happen. What I've been doing (since about 2016 anyway) when a team of mine gets knocked off by a team I consider inferior is shout "FAKE NEWS!" at my computer screen. Try it! It actually makes you feel better!
3/7/2018 3:17 PM
I don't think so. These are THEME type of teams. The team names are like 96 FLA Tex Balt Mon Phi. It also isn't lost on me that the person who beat me has played over 90,000 games, which equals BIG SPENDER, vs. someone like me 1500 games who can't afford to play multiple games at a time. Didn't think this game would end up being just like all the other App's or online games where they cater to only the big spenders. They have sucked their last $ from me!
3/7/2018 3:38 PM
In fact, I'm right. Click on World Series results and the team came from MLB 120762, $100 million dollar THEME league. That ain't right!
3/7/2018 3:45 PM
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying $100M teams with no AAA are placed in $100M TOCs with $80M teams that have AAA (and thus are "bumped" to $100M TOCs)?

Or are you saying something different?
3/7/2018 3:58 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying. That $20 million is too big of a difference for us to survive. If there aren't enough folks playing the $80 million game, they need to either raise that salary cap, or lower the amount of teams to fill out a bracket for like capped teams and if need be, lower the amount of $ credits we can win if they're looking at their bottom line. Simple solution compared to this cluster.
3/7/2018 4:27 PM
Okay, but it's not a $20M difference if you factor in your AAA players. It's less than a $10M difference.

You may not believe this, but OL teams, even with the salary disadvantage, tend to do better in TOCs than teams from theme leagues and especially progressives.
3/7/2018 4:34 PM
While I don't have the experience crazy does, I'm somewhere in between him and you in terms of experience, munsonmanor. Everything he's saying matches with what I've experienced. I've had OL teams just barely scrape over $90M when factoring in AAA players and end up in a $100M TOC. But, it really is a crapshoot in a short series. I've had 120 win teams get swept out and 84 win teams get hot at just the right time and win the world series.

As an anecdote against any "pay to play" shenanigans, the first TOC I was ever in saw me reach the top 4. Since then, I've been in the TOC 22 more times, and never gotten past the top 8. I certainly haven't gained any favor by playing for almost 10 years now and paying in more money than I care to think about.
3/7/2018 5:04 PM
@ Crazystengel - You do have a point. My "scrubs" came in at 14,655,699 and his at 5,681,158, just under 9 million in difference. However, let's be realistic. In any short series, other than pinch hitting or an extra inning affair, the scrubs hardly come into play. When the game starts and it's starters vs. starters, they had a little over $16 million advantage, period.

@ mattedesa - That's good to hear. Hoping others chime in as I would HOPE I'm not right. When you consistently churn out teams that are very good (only had one losing team since I started) and ALWAYS lose in the end, it gets old QUICK!
3/7/2018 5:20 PM
Tournament of Champions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.