scouting opponents Topic

Have been experimenting with settings and lineups and matchups (R/L...better defensive INF for GB pitchers/lineups, etc.) to try to capitalize on opponents' trending weaknesses. I started to wonder if anyone has ever had much luck adjusting settings according to your opponent's players?

In other words, especially in a progressive, if I know a team is a likely favorite in the division, I want to try to maximize my head-to-head against that team. I'm not asking for all of your in-house secrets--I am just as interested to know if it is possible? How much control do we really have? (Anyone ever completely run the table consistently against an inner-division foe?)
3/8/2018 12:44 PM (edited)
Sure, pitching matchups in key series. If I need to use a spot starter, I try to do that in a game against the other league, preferably against a weaker opponent. ..my lineups are already set LH/RH, but I look for fatigue...
3/8/2018 4:27 PM
I start a catcher with a great arm against teams that can steal, or plan ahead for teams that can steal. But that’s about it. I just like seeing my record against other teams.
3/9/2018 12:44 AM
I play matchups often. Saving your best for a key opponent is a good one. Good matchups surely gives you some small advantages but maybe not enough to notice in a short series. Short term stats can be wild.
3/9/2018 4:23 PM (edited)
Sometimes if I have a really good, low-PA or low-IP player, I'll make a point of using him against key opponents in my division (or a wildcard opponent). But the one matchup I know has worked out well is saving a low-PA, high-SB guy for opponents with terrible catchers (and setting him to a 5 for base-stealing aggressiveness). Looking up old stats from a 1984 team, I had Jeff Stone (27 SB, 5 CS, 199 PA, .362 BA real-life) get 41 starts plus 31 PH or PR appearances. He wound up with 58 SB, 5 CS, 52 RS, mostly against the bad catchers. I think he had a few individual 3-game series with 10+ SB.
3/22/2018 12:31 AM
My most amusing matchup story was 1908 Sammy Strang in a low cap league. In RL he hit .094 with a pile of Walks. I spotted him against high BB pitchers some of whom were fatigued. He had obp over .600 for half the season. eventually it fell to "only" a little above .500
3/24/2018 2:39 AM (edited)
scouting opponents Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.