Ist season roster management Topic

This is my 1st season. I signed up 6 players and my roster is full. I have 10 or 11 players I could continue with next season. Do I have the 1st offer on the players I want to keep? I have 2 or 3 that I want to sign long term. Will they sign for their asking price for multiple years w/o a significant bonus? Is there any reason to keep anymore than 18 on the roster if my plan is 11 resigns and 7 FAs? Are there any other recomendations? Thanks.
3/8/2018 11:43 PM
1. You only have the first offer on players if you offer them a contract during the season. If they are released before you can offer a contract, then they are free game.
2. Usually they won't sign for their asking price if you are offering more than a one year contract.
3. If you are talking about letting your roster drop below 18 going into FA signing, that is perfectly fine. I just started a second team and am in my second season right now. I kept maybe 2 of the original players that I started with and went into season 2 with 8 on my roster. I filled my roster with rookies or short term experienced players to get me through the first couple seasons.

Hope this helped!
3/9/2018 12:39 PM
Posted by geekee on 3/9/2018 12:39:00 PM (view original):
1. You only have the first offer on players if you offer them a contract during the season. If they are released before you can offer a contract, then they are free game.
2. Usually they won't sign for their asking price if you are offering more than a one year contract.
3. If you are talking about letting your roster drop below 18 going into FA signing, that is perfectly fine. I just started a second team and am in my second season right now. I kept maybe 2 of the original players that I started with and went into season 2 with 8 on my roster. I filled my roster with rookies or short term experienced players to get me through the first couple seasons.

Hope this helped!
Just to clarify your point #2... players below the age of 27 will always want an increase above their demand if you want to do a contract beyond the current season. The longer the term, the bigger the increase. Once they hit 27, you can usually re-sign them for next season at their demand. At that point, very productive players will continue to increase their demands each season but will continue to re-sign if offered demands. Lesser players, say, backups, will not increase demands at all and just keep re-signing as long as offered contracts.

3/9/2018 2:42 PM
I have 15 players signed up for season 2, I still have 2.6 mil left. I'm in a league w/6 human owners. I'm going to have to sign 3+ different players to start next season but I don't know about how much $ I'll get in attendance, and how much league $ I'll get at the start of next season. I'll build up stadium seating slowly as needed (I understand that it should be less than 2 mil). In order to estimate how much I should spend on FAs, can anybody give me a ballpark estimate of $/game and 2nd season league $ ? Thanks
3/11/2018 6:32 PM
Posted by TBill7 on 3/11/2018 6:34:00 PM (view original):
I have 15 players signed up for season 2, I still have 2.6 mil left. I'm in a league w/6 human owners. I'm going to have to sign 3+ different players to start next season but I don't know about how much $ I'll get in attendance, and how much league $ I'll get at the start of next season. I'll build up stadium seating slowly as needed (I understand that it should be less than 2 mil). In order to estimate how much I should spend on FAs, can anybody give me a ballpark estimate of $/game and 2nd season league $ ? Thanks
Sorry, didn't see your post till now.
Assuming the other owners in your league are more established than you are, and they're actively playing, they probably have cash to go after premium free agents. You're not likely competing with them. You should concentrate on acquiring younger, cheap players. The best 18 year olds are usually overpaid, you want the ones just behind them. Even an unimpressive 42-overall 18 year old can theoretically become a 66ish (or better) pro if you play him a lot from the start. Build young and cheap.

Because...

While you're actually building young and cheap you should be investing in your stadium as much as you can. I never really tracked game-by-game income but you want to reinvest from the start while your roster's cheap, so you can get your per-game income boosted. If your roster's cheap, you could spend the first 2/3 of the season (till Week 38) just reinvesting. Then keep the income from the last 1/3.

League payout at the start of the season is usually a flat 4 million.

3/20/2018 2:13 PM
Thanks, I'll be interested in seeing how extensive the recruiting choices will be. So far we're getting about $80k/game. I've now got 18 guys signed up for season 2, 29k seats and about 980k left after 13 games. I'm not going to build much beyond my attendance (I've got one sellout at 27k seats.) I think I'll have the budget to get some reasonable players.
3/26/2018 12:55 PM
Ist season roster management Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.