What do you look for in a D3 triangle SF? Is it better to have a guy that is essentially a PG with like 70 ATH/SPD/BH/P, or a guy that is a traditional SF with about 50 or so REB and around 40-50 BH/P/SPD and around 70 ATH. Those seem to be two molds of players that come around quite often.

This question comes from my Wooden team, where I have lots of good guard depth, I don't really like my SF's, and I had to start the freshman SF, so I couldn't experiment throughout the season. But, this is also a general question, because I run Triangle with all but one of my teams.

Assume the defense is man to man.
3/9/2018 8:51 AM (edited)
Could also depend on the defense. In zone, I'd want strong strong rebounding. But in press I'd want more athletic guard type
3/9/2018 8:48 AM
Assuming that you are asking about what your topic said. And not your first line of your question. Topic says SF But then you wrote PG
3/9/2018 8:49 AM
My bad, I fixed it, and I added other information to the bottom to have the question make more sense.
3/9/2018 8:51 AM
I'm a triangle/man guy. And my opinion would be if you have good guard depth, i would recruit a SF with better rebounding. For roster flexibility. In matchups against teams that have guard-like SFs, you can throw one of your guards in that slot.

But I'm someone who values rebounding a LOT. Recently i averaged 4.5 rebounds higher than my opponents for the season. And my SF averaged just that. I view my SF as a "team need" position often when recruiting.
3/9/2018 9:01 AM
I do a fair amount of triangle man. This is how I recruit for a SF, usually.

1. Defense first. At D3, I want a minimum of 120 combined ATH/DEF with a speed above 40. I mostly ignore block but I do value it a little. Maybe 10% of the equation? I rank the attributes something like DEF 35, ATH 30, SPD 25, BLK 10.

2. Scoring next. If available, I like to have my SF be one of my main scorers. I look for 60+ ATH/LP with BH above 30 or SPD/PER above 70 with BH above 40. If the double green LP/PER guys is there I will fight for him. The 60+ LP and PER with good secondary skills (AT/SPD/BH) is a stud.

3. If there isn't a scoring option, I look for pass (these are rare). I want a really high PASS (70+) to make this work. I have played a couple 40 SPD, 70 PASS guys at D3 with good success.

4. If none of that is available, I will go with the Green Perimeter guy and try to back door into a D and 3 type of player. These guys take 3 years to develop but a high ATH/DEF/PER SF is kinda neat.

I virtually ignore rebounding. I have no qualms about playing a 10-20 REBOUND guy at the 3.

With that being said, I occasionally play my project freshmen at the 3. I sometimes promise starts to guys who will be my PG in a year or two so my SF is a dude with a lot of 50's on their way to being 70s.
3/9/2018 9:26 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/9/2018 9:26:00 AM (view original):

1. Defense first. At D3, I want a minimum of 120 combined ATH/DEF with a speed above 40. I mostly ignore block but I do value it a little. Maybe 10% of the equation? I rank the attributes something like DEF 35, ATH 30, SPD 25, BLK 10.

2. Scoring next. If available, I like to have my SF be one of my main scorers. I look for 60+ ATH/LP with BH above 30 or SPD/PER above 70 with BH above 40. If the double green LP/PER guys is there I will fight for him. The 60+ LP and PER with good secondary skills (AT/SPD/BH) is a stud.

3. If there isn't a scoring option, I look for pass (these are rare). I want a really high PASS (70+) to make this work. I have played a couple 40 SPD, 70 PASS guys at D3 with good success.

4. If none of that is available, I will go with the Green Perimeter guy and try to back door into a D and 3 type of player. These guys take 3 years to develop but a high ATH/DEF/PER SF is kinda neat.

I virtually ignore rebounding. I have no qualms about playing a 10-20 REBOUND guy at the 3.

With that being said, I occasionally play my project freshmen at the 3. I sometimes promise starts to guys who will be my PG in a year or two so my SF is a dude with a lot of 50's on their way to being 70s.
Would you ignore rebounding also if it was with zone?
3/9/2018 9:37 AM
So to give an example, which one of these would you choose?

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Michael Nuckolls - Ratings - Wooden - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Theodore Domenech - Ratings - Wooden - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

I think it is Domenech, he would be a Passing type player that checks the D box. Thought in his first start last night he played for 28 minutes and the box score basically says he didn't do anything.

Nuckolls will eventually be a solid player, he's just taking a while to develop, his PE is still green so he could still become a scoring option.
3/9/2018 9:53 AM
I would take Nuckolls, especially if you're trying to develop him and he could use the starts. I wish he had more BH, though.

The all-around SF types - guys with almost every rating at 50+ - tend to not put up particularly impressive stats, but I've noticed that when I have one my teams always seem to overperform relative to my expectations. At least against tough human-coached teams. I feel like it can make it tougher to exploit your team, and obviously helps to fill in any gaps.
3/9/2018 10:01 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 3/9/2018 9:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/9/2018 9:26:00 AM (view original):

Would you ignore rebounding also if it was with zone?
Yup.

In a 3-2 absolutely, in a 2-3 they types of guys you want kinda always have some REBOUNDING so it takes care of itself.
3/9/2018 10:11 AM
Pete Walker, is my pretty standard non-stud SF. Very Good Defense (will be a 68 ATH, 75 SPD, 100 DEF), little scoring (68 ATH 55LP) not bad guard skills (50 BH 45 BH). He'll be about a 20 REB but I would probably play him even if that was a 1.

Damek Eastern European Name, is what I consider a stud. Solid Defense (will be a 70 ATH, 65 SPD, 90 DEF), excellent scoring (55 LP, 85+PER), decent guard skills (45 BH, 60 PASS). He will also be about a 20 REB but that's by accident.

Walker's what I shoot for, on most of my teams I am happy if he's the starter. The Ukrainian is a stud , IMO. He's the type of guy who can carry a team and be a 20 ppg type guy. He'll get my highest distro his JR/SR years.
3/9/2018 10:20 AM (edited)
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 3/9/2018 9:54:00 AM (view original):

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Michael Nuckolls - Ratings - Wooden - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Theodore Domenech - Ratings - Wooden - Hoops Dynasty Basketball | WhatIfSports

I think it is Domenech, he would be a Passing type player that checks the D box. Thought in his first start last night he played for 28 minutes and the box score basically says he didn't do anything.

Nuckolls will eventually be a solid player, he's just taking a while to develop, his PE is still green so he could still become a scoring option.
I would play Domenech vs Press teams and the other dude against man and zone.
3/9/2018 10:22 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/9/2018 10:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 3/9/2018 9:54:00 AM (view original):

I would play Domenech vs Press teams and the other dude against man and zone.
I agree with this for the most part. But another post from you leads me to some thread hijacking.

About the zone. You ignore rebounding for 3-2 in a SF but you say in a 2-3 the guys you aim for would have rebounding...

So wouldn't you want one of each SF?! Or when you run zone, do you only run one particular set, and recruit exclusively for that? I ask because I'm just starting a zone team (season 2). And i want the option to run both 2-3 and 3-2 during the season. So i would think I'd would need a guard-like SF and a big-like SF to do so successfully. Is that wishful thinking to be able to succeed at a high level?
3/9/2018 11:04 AM
In a perfect world, yeah it's nice to have one of each. In my reality, it's to hard to land a starter quality 3-2 SF and 2-3 SF. Now you need to have 6 starter quality players which isn't easy to do.

Now, take that with a grain of salt because I am not an elite recruiter or planner. I play the game by sense of smell alot. The plany plany types might be able to do this much easier than I can.
3/9/2018 11:30 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.