Eliminate RPI system Topic

Team A Overall 15-13 RPI 73 Record vs Top 100 RPI 0-13
Team B Overall 24-9 RPI 74 Record vs Top 100 RPI 8-8

It needs to be adjusted so SOS doesn't have too much of an impact. Not a complaint thread, I'm actually Team B, but knew what I was getting myself into when I scheduled cupcakes.

And what I mean by eliminate the RPI system, doesn't just go for this game, goes for real life as well.
3/9/2018 10:59 AM
As long as the projection report works well (and I think it works really well), the RPI itself isn't THAT important.
3/9/2018 11:42 AM
Posted by Benis on 3/9/2018 11:42:00 AM (view original):
As long as the projection report works well (and I think it works really well), the RPI itself isn't THAT important.
Oh yeah, definitely. The projection report is 10x better than the RPI. But you have to admit the above example is a bit troubling.
3/9/2018 12:42 PM
Not really because you didn't post all of the information such as SOS.
3/9/2018 12:48 PM
Not only did you schedule cupcakes but you scheduled them at home. Why would you do that?
3/9/2018 12:49 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/9/2018 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Not only did you schedule cupcakes but you scheduled them at home. Why would you do that?
Boost my home court advantage. Jack up my preferences for the players I"m recruiting without taking an L. And I knew I had the projection report to fall back on, which included very strong in defense.. I wasn't getting past the 1st round with a bunch of first and second year players anyway.

We missed out on the NT by a few spots, but don't regret doing it for a second.
3/9/2018 1:00 PM (edited)
This was Kansas St, the other team.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Schedule.aspx?tid=13883
3/9/2018 12:59 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/9/2018 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Boost my home court advantage. Jack up my preferences for the players I"m recruiting without taking an L. And I knew I had the projection report to fall back on, which included very strong in defense.. I wasn't getting past the 1st round with a bunch of first and second year players anyway.

During the regular season you beat the team who would end up winning the title. Then you lost by 2 to that team in the CT. So you definitely would have been able to win a game or 2 in the NT.

Seems like you underestimated your boys.

But your team. Your call.
3/9/2018 1:01 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/9/2018 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/9/2018 1:00:00 PM (view original):

During the regular season you beat the team who would end up winning the title. Then you lost by 2 to that team in the CT. So you definitely would have been able to win a game or 2 in the NT.

Seems like you underestimated your boys.

But your team. Your call.
It's all good. Just telling you what I was thinking. It might be somewhat out of the box on my end.

We were a young team and very inconsistent. If we scheduled tougher, we probably would've made it, you're right. But I suppose a Final 4 PI appearance is better than nothing. I would rather keep the prestige down a notch, although we didn't move during the offseason, to prevent from players leaving early. I'm thinking we should have a good 2 year run over the next couple of seasons and hopefully after a few close calls, finally win the damn thing.
3/9/2018 1:14 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the RPI. It does some things well and others not so well.

But I do have to laugh a bit when you say that the RPI sucks and then your evidence to why it sucks is to present top 100 records... which uses the RPI to calculate.

3/9/2018 1:34 PM
I don’t think anything needs adjustment on the game end. You made a choice to go after preferences and boost win percentage, home court, etc. Valid choice, but comes at a cost, which put your RPI and projection status at risk.
3/9/2018 1:42 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/9/2018 1:42:00 PM (view original):
I don’t think anything needs adjustment on the game end. You made a choice to go after preferences and boost win percentage, home court, etc. Valid choice, but comes at a cost, which put your RPI and projection status at risk.
System works fine. It's about decisions. I have been lazy scheduling so I just hope my confs do well.
3/9/2018 1:47 PM
LOL. Guys just respond to this. To clear up any confusion, let's just say this is a real life basketball example which could possibly happen. All I'm asking is do you think the RPI system has a major flaw in it?

Team A Overall 15-13 RPI 73 Record vs Top 100 RPI 0-13
Team B Overall 24-9 RPI 74 Record vs Top 100 RPI 8-8
3/9/2018 2:20 PM
Of course it's flawed. Everyone knows the RPI has flaws.

I only counted 0-12 for K State and 7-8 for your team btw.

But you have to put the rest of the information. If the team's RPI was only based upon those games, then yes, something is seriously messed up and it's worthless. You're literally leaving out half of the games played from your example plus where they were played.
3/9/2018 2:33 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/9/2018 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Of course it's flawed. Everyone knows the RPI has flaws.

I only counted 0-12 for K State and 7-8 for your team btw.

But you have to put the rest of the information. If the team's RPI was only based upon those games, then yes, something is seriously messed up and it's worthless. You're literally leaving out half of the games played from your example plus where they were played.
Yeah, I didn't think it was that important, because all of the rest of the games were against 100+ RPI teams and probably shouldn't have a huge impact when comparing double digit RPI's. Technically it was the top 102 RPI, but even then 0-12 vs 7-8 is pretty significant. I mean how do you compare a win vs an RPI team of 125 vs an RPI team of 324 other than margin of victory. I'm just saying RPI shouldn't be factored into any system, because it is so flawed. How many times have you seen in the projection report 50 places off from their RPI?
3/9/2018 2:59 PM
12 Next ▸
Eliminate RPI system Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.