Eliminate RPI system Topic

How could you not think it was important? You think that there is a difference between #1 RPI and #100 RPI but not between #100 RPI and #300 RPI?

Plus the home/away factor needs to be considered.
3/9/2018 3:04 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Huh? Beating good teams shouldn't matter? WTF? Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?
3/9/2018 3:48 PM
First off, I'm not debating about how the RPI system works. I'm fully aware. I'm also not saying that beating an RPI team of 100 shouldn't be rewarded compared to playing an RPI team of 300. I'm saying the formula is way off. See example below.

I'm just stating the flaws of the RPI. In the above example I listed an A team and a B team, where one team was clearly better than the other vs the RPI Top 100. In my opinion, I also stated that Team A beating RPI teams 100-200 by say 3-5 points shouldn't have that much weight compared to beating RPi teams from 250-324 where that team is winning by 20+ points when it comes to two teams with a double digit RPI . And the results of the flaw is one team is 0-13 vs the RPI Top 100 vs another team that went 8-8. Again, only talking about the flaws of the RPI system and applying to real life.

I suppose the purpose of this thread was to agree or disagree of how the RPI system works. I also wanted to point out the absurdity of how one team is ahead of the other team with that kind of disparity playing against the Top 100, where playing top 100 teams should be given a lot more weight.
3/9/2018 5:41 PM (edited)
Nobody cares.
3/9/2018 6:08 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 3/9/2018 6:08:00 PM (view original):
Nobody cares.
Hahaha! Funny, but brutal!
3/9/2018 7:26 PM
It's a coaching skill to improve your RPI and PR standing. It's called scheduling and I'd say its like 7% of the game. I'd highly recommend talking to someone like long_ge, ftbeagles, or the0nlyis as I see them as the best 3 schedulers in the game.
3/9/2018 9:33 PM
So I decided to put it into 2018 selection committee terms because I wanted to see the comparison. Somehow I missed one game while watching UNC-Duke, but it doesn't make a difference.

Kansas
Tier 1: 4-6
Tier 2: 3-2
Tier 3: 5-1
Tier 4: 11-0

Kansas St
Tier 1: 0-12
Tier 2: 1-0
Tier 3: 5-1
Tier 4: 9-0

So you're right in the fact that there wasn't much difference overall in your schedules, and maybe it's not a very good metric, but as others have said, you did bring it upon yourself. I don't think you're arguing that, just wanted to share the numbers I came up with.
3/9/2018 11:56 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/9/2018 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 3/9/2018 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Not only did you schedule cupcakes but you scheduled them at home. Why would you do that?
Boost my home court advantage. Jack up my preferences for the players I"m recruiting without taking an L. And I knew I had the projection report to fall back on, which included very strong in defense.. I wasn't getting past the 1st round with a bunch of first and second year players anyway.

We missed out on the NT by a few spots, but don't regret doing it for a second.
Had you scheduled those home games away you would have made the NT.
3/10/2018 9:49 AM
I guess this is why I find wiz’s beef a little confusing. K State and KU end up with almost identical RPI. Kansas just misses the big dance, K State is shut out of the postseason. So the projection report is clearly taking the higher tier records into account. RPI is just a piece of the puzzle.

The game gives you all kinds of data, some of it conflicting or counterintuitive, and doesn’t specifically tell you what to do with it. It’s our job to take it, interpret it, and use it according to the ways we want to play. RPI is one measure by which to judge relative success, but it only *matters* to the extent that it affects the projection report and prestige. If it’s “flaw” bothers you, don’t look at it, I guess?
3/10/2018 9:50 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/10/2018 9:50:00 AM (view original):
I guess this is why I find wiz’s beef a little confusing. K State and KU end up with almost identical RPI. Kansas just misses the big dance, K State is shut out of the postseason. So the projection report is clearly taking the higher tier records into account. RPI is just a piece of the puzzle.

The game gives you all kinds of data, some of it conflicting or counterintuitive, and doesn’t specifically tell you what to do with it. It’s our job to take it, interpret it, and use it according to the ways we want to play. RPI is one measure by which to judge relative success, but it only *matters* to the extent that it affects the projection report and prestige. If it’s “flaw” bothers you, don’t look at it, I guess?
This
3/10/2018 10:07 AM
Posted by damonh1992_ on 3/10/2018 9:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/9/2018 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 3/9/2018 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Not only did you schedule cupcakes but you scheduled them at home. Why would you do that?
Boost my home court advantage. Jack up my preferences for the players I"m recruiting without taking an L. And I knew I had the projection report to fall back on, which included very strong in defense.. I wasn't getting past the 1st round with a bunch of first and second year players anyway.

We missed out on the NT by a few spots, but don't regret doing it for a second.
Had you scheduled those home games away you would have made the NT.
That's most likely true, but don't regret scheduling weaker, as mentioned it allowed me to manipulate the preferences. We still made a deep run in the PIT, which is close to a 1st round loss.

Ended up with the #2 and #4 overall recruits and literally lost on a coin flip on the #3 overall ranked player. But no regrets, we should be in good shape for the next couple of seasons.

3/13/2018 12:03 PM
◂ Prev 12
Eliminate RPI system Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.