With the 1st Pick - 1 Round draft Topic

Posted by SAKABAKBRG on 3/10/2018 4:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alanasdad on 3/10/2018 2:14:00 PM (view original):
From the original rules post: "3. There will be a rookie salary cap. Your exclusive #1 overall pick is exempt from the cap, but everyone else must have a salary between $1 million and $6 million."

With the 23rd pick - My #1 overall won't be much of a pick (likely won't have a season outside the $6 million cap. So my question is this - can our first round pick be anyone drafted in the first round (not necessarily a #1 overall) that can be exempt from the salary cap?
After looking at it a bit deeper, I am lowering the salary cap to $5 million per player, but your #1 overall is still exempt.
That wasn’t in the rules 4 months ago
3/10/2018 9:55 PM
Posted by edge2012 on 3/10/2018 9:55:00 PM (view original):
From the original rules post: "3. There will be a rookie salary cap. Your exclusive #1 overall pick is exempt from the cap, but everyone else must have a salary between $1 million and $6 million."

With the 23rd pick - My #1 overall won't be much of a pick (likely won't have a season outside the $6 million cap. So my question is this - can our first round pick be anyone drafted in the first round (not necessarily a #1 overall) that can be exempt from the salary cap?
After looking at it a bit deeper, I am lowering the salary cap to $5 million per player, but your #1 overall is still exempt.
It has been there since day 1. The only thing that changed was I lowered it from $6million to $5million today.
3/10/2018 10:05 PM
"I lowered it from $6million to $5million today."
I'm really not trying to be difficult Sak - I've posted a couple of times what a great idea this league is....but I think this rule change further hurts those that draft late in that exclusive first round. Not only won't they get an exclusive pick that could possibly surpass the $6 million threshold - now they can't make up for it with any players between $5 and $6 million!

To be honest - I don't see why changing the rule to allow everyone to get an exclusive first round (as opposed to a first overall) would be that big a deal? All it would do is make the playing field more even.

Regardless - still a great theme idea and will still be an interesting team to draft. I'm hoping Michel Plasse will still be around by pick #23 so none of you guys can use him!! LOL

3/10/2018 10:29 PM
Posted by SAKABAKBRG on 3/10/2018 10:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by edge2012 on 3/10/2018 9:55:00 PM (view original):

It has been there since day 1. The only thing that changed was I lowered it from $6million to $5million today.
You changed the rule after Mario was drafted. Where was that 4 months ago
3/10/2018 10:40 PM
Posted by alanasdad on 3/10/2018 10:29:00 PM (view original):
"I lowered it from $6million to $5million today."
I'm really not trying to be difficult Sak - I've posted a couple of times what a great idea this league is....but I think this rule change further hurts those that draft late in that exclusive first round. Not only won't they get an exclusive pick that could possibly surpass the $6 million threshold - now they can't make up for it with any players between $5 and $6 million!

To be honest - I don't see why changing the rule to allow everyone to get an exclusive first round (as opposed to a first overall) would be that big a deal? All it would do is make the playing field more even.

Regardless - still a great theme idea and will still be an interesting team to draft. I'm hoping Michel Plasse will still be around by pick #23 so none of you guys can use him!! LOL

I agree. He changed that after the draft already started which is a huge no no
3/10/2018 10:46 PM
I'm don't want to be part of the problem. Prefer to be part of the solution. I didn't really see it till we started to draft and actually checked over the 1st Overall choices. That's when it hit me. So, I apologize. It is a great theme, and I can see where this draft is problematic.

Thanks!
3/10/2018 11:51 PM
Posted by SAKABAKBRG on 3/10/2018 9:23:00 PM (view original):
I've gotta ask - since the league was first posted 4 months ago. (November 7)...why were none of these questions asked until the league was finally full and the draft announced? I mean, you had 4 months to read the rules, and re-read them, and re-read them again. If you were unsure of anything, you had 4 months to get clarification.
Honestly, till we just started drafting and I looked at the available players, I didn't realize how thin the selection pool would be. More misses than hits in the 1st overall position.
I'm still in though.
Is there a way to even things out so that guy that got $10,000,000 Mario Lemieux and the guy that gets $5,000,000 lesser player can find peace? That's quite a drop off.
Thanks.
3/10/2018 11:55 PM
Let’s all just do the best we can with what we have available
3/11/2018 7:59 AM
So how much time does dexter_honk get? Starts Monday or 12 hours from 1st pick was made?
3/11/2018 2:22 PM
Posted by mapleleafs4l on 3/11/2018 2:22:00 PM (view original):
So how much time does dexter_honk get? Starts Monday or 12 hours from 1st pick was made?
He's on the clock until 12pm Monday.

Just FYI - I'll be away taking care of some things between Monday morning through late Wednesday night with extremely limited internet access.
3/11/2018 5:07 PM
My vote is to leave things they way they were; take one 1st overall (that is the league's theme after all) but leave the cap per player at 6 million. The only way managers who pick late in the draft (I'm at 18) can compensate is to try to strategically spend off some of the money that Mario and Lafleur's etc. teams won't have.
3/11/2018 7:50 PM
Dexter made his pick (Lafleur) - he just made it in the classified ad
3/12/2018 7:57 AM
Denis Potvin
3/12/2018 10:14 AM
C Gilbert Perreault
3/12/2018 12:09 PM
C Pierre Turgeon
3/12/2018 12:33 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
With the 1st Pick - 1 Round draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.