Jumping from DIII to DI Topic

Hey all, looking for a little advise. I am currently at Brooklyn in Naismith. During the current job period a handful of D1, D- programs show me as qualified to apply. For long term success would be better to take a low level D1 school to learn the ropes of D1 recruiting or wait it out for a few more seasons at Brooklyn then jump to a D+ or C- level program? The only D1 program that I am currently qualified for that holds any interest for me is Columbia

Thanks!
3/10/2018 3:30 PM
You're probably get a bunch of different answers on this topic. Ultimately it depends on what your final goal at D1 is. If you want to try and build a low level team into a contender then you could take on a D- or D job. If you want to jump to a big 6 job (and a decent one, at that), then I'd probably try and find a team with a higher baseline prestige. Teams in Conf USA, MWC, MVC, A-10, Horizon, and MAC have higher baseline prestiges than other non-big 6 schools.

Also, it's easier to win the CT and get to the NT in an emptier conference. Conversely some enjoy playing in a fuller conference more than beating up on sims but if you go that route it's likely going to take longer to start making the post-season.

Here's a list of baseline prestiges for D1.
3/10/2018 4:40 PM
Thanks for the reply!

My eventual goal would be coach in a power 6 conference but not adverse to building a strong mid-major program first. Was thinking I can hop from the Ivy to a mid major program after a few seasons. My concern would be if I bomb out at a D- program would those mid major programs open up anyway after a few seasons or would I need to go back to D3 or D2 to get my prestige back before making another run at a D1 program?
3/10/2018 6:14 PM
If your goal is D1, take the D- job. If you're the type of coach who'll end up at a top D1 school, you'll pick up low D1 pretty quickly.
3/10/2018 6:39 PM
I'm going to agree with tkimble. Make the jump now and start learning D1. I made the same jump in Naismith and had zero intention of staying at Vermont as long as I have, but you learn to like where you are at.
3/10/2018 6:51 PM
Thanks joey and tkimble. I put in my app.

Nice NT win at VT Joey.
3/10/2018 7:15 PM
Jumping from DIII to DI Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.