High rated players underperforming Topic

On my CSULA squad in Knight, ratings wise I am very confident in my current lineup. But I have an 82 REB Big who is out rebounding my 93 & 98 REB starters.
My team in playing phenomenally this season but it’s a head scratcher to me as to why my 98 REB is only averaging 5 RPG and every other Big is out performing him. Is this common? could this be due to how the engine assign rebounds? Because I rarely lose on def rebounding margin to my opponents with this squad.

Would it be ridiculous to bench a higher rated player who isn’t performing as expected?

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=13096

3/10/2018 5:12 PM
Athleticism and IQ (and defense for defensive boards) also factor in to rebounding. That likely explains your upperclassmen outperforming your sophomore center on the boards.

As for your other sophomore getting 7 rpg with lesser attributes and no significant IQ advantage, keep in mind that your starting C is likely fighting for boards against your opponents’ best rebounders, while the backup is up against other backups. Matchups also play a big part of how rebounds are assigned. I wouldn’t adjust anything, you’re rolling pretty well.
3/10/2018 5:31 PM
He's also playing 10% less minutes.
3/11/2018 9:51 AM
Woah defense factors in for rebounds? So would a Big with 90+ REB but nonexistent DEF rating struggle to get boards against a big that has a mix of both? ex : 70 REB , 70 DEF? I always thought a successful big only needed high rebounding or defense.
3/11/2018 11:28 PM
Defense matters for getting defensive boards, so only on the other guys side of the court. It’s not a large part of the equation, but it’s a part. A 90 rebounding big with decent athleticism (like your guy) is going to be a good rebounder pretty much regardless of defense. But a guy who is also an excellent defender, and especially with a higher IQ, can over-perform based on raw rebounding attributes.
3/12/2018 12:46 AM
I'm almost positive the DEF rating has absolutely nothing to do with the rebounding equation. IQ matters for everything, but not defensive talent. Although I suppose, if you're looking at fractions of a rebound per game, a better defender will cause his opponents to miss more shots, which will make more rebounds available. So a better defender might get a tangible boost to his rebound total, but not his rebound share.
3/12/2018 7:56 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/12/2018 12:46:00 AM (view original):
Defense matters for getting defensive boards, so only on the other guys side of the court. It’s not a large part of the equation, but it’s a part. A 90 rebounding big with decent athleticism (like your guy) is going to be a good rebounder pretty much regardless of defense. But a guy who is also an excellent defender, and especially with a higher IQ, can over-perform based on raw rebounding attributes.
I'm not sure this is true, shoe. Defensive IQ affects defensive rebounding but I've never heard of the defensive rating affecting defensive rebounding. There's a dev chat somewhere that lists all of the factors that go into rebounding and I do not believe def rating was ever listed.
3/12/2018 8:30 AM
Defense doesn't matter at all.

It's REB, ATH, IQ, Defensive positioning, type of defense, fatigue.
3/12/2018 9:27 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/12/2018 7:56:00 AM (view original):
I'm almost positive the DEF rating has absolutely nothing to do with the rebounding equation. IQ matters for everything, but not defensive talent. Although I suppose, if you're looking at fractions of a rebound per game, a better defender will cause his opponents to miss more shots, which will make more rebounds available. So a better defender might get a tangible boost to his rebound total, but not his rebound share.
Right. The premise is that a better low post defender will have more opportunities for boards, because he’ll be in position on more missed shots.
3/12/2018 11:32 AM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 3/12/2018 8:30:00 AM (view original):
I'm not sure this is true, shoe. Defensive IQ affects defensive rebounding but I've never heard of the defensive rating affecting defensive rebounding. There's a dev chat somewhere that lists all of the factors that go into rebounding and I do not believe def rating was ever listed.
Yep defense isn't used for rebounding equation.
3/12/2018 12:32 PM
3/12/2018 12:32 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/12/2018 12:32:00 PM (view original):
“a better low post defender will have more opportunities for boards, because he’ll be in position on more missed shots”

Agree or disagree?
3/12/2018 1:09 PM
In the real world? Maybe.

In HD absolutely disagree. The engine is not nearly that complicated. There is nothing in the engine resembling position on the court. This is why a guy can airball a 3 and grab his own rebound. Who gets the rebound is a statistical decision based exclusively on the factors listed by TJ above.
3/12/2018 1:39 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/12/2018 1:39:00 PM (view original):
In the real world? Maybe.

In HD absolutely disagree. The engine is not nearly that complicated. There is nothing in the engine resembling position on the court. This is why a guy can airball a 3 and grab his own rebound. Who gets the rebound is a statistical decision based exclusively on the factors listed by TJ above.
Certainly there is something in the engine resembling position on the court. It’s why players have “positions”, and their positions in the lineup affect how many rebounding opportunities they have, among other things. More missed field goals without fouls means more rebounding opportunities, and those rebounding opportunities are not divided equally among positions, right?

ETA, because I think you may be getting hung up on my wording here, I’m not saying the player’s defensive rating gives him better “positioning” for the rebound. Only that weaker low post defenders get fewer rebounding opportunities, because they are giving up more successful field goals, and fouling more.
3/12/2018 2:10 PM (edited)
"Only that weaker low post defenders get fewer rebounding opportunities, because they are giving up more successful field goals, and fouling more."

Well, yeah, I guess that works indirectly. Just like the defensive value of your guards will cause more or less missed shots, or tempo, or general fatigue level of your team and the opponents team.
3/12/2018 2:27 PM
12 Next ▸
High rated players underperforming Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.