High rated players underperforming Topic

Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/12/2018 2:27:00 PM (view original):
"Only that weaker low post defenders get fewer rebounding opportunities, because they are giving up more successful field goals, and fouling more."

Well, yeah, I guess that works indirectly. Just like the defensive value of your guards will cause more or less missed shots, or tempo, or general fatigue level of your team and the opponents team.
This is why they created Rebounding %

3/12/2018 4:39 PM
Some other ratings that you probably didn't know impacted rebounding-

LP - this one is obvious. You want a poor LP rating so you'll miss lots of bunnies and set up easy offensive rebounds - preferably tip ins (or as I call them - double dipping on the stats).

BH- also obvious. You need good BH so you don't turn it over before you're able to get the shot off.

Pass- Not obvious and little tricky. You want average passing skills so you can avoid the turnover but not TOO good or else you'll set up teammates for open shots and eliminate opportunity for offensive rebounds.

Block- the trickiest of all. You might think a high block is the way to go here so you can alter the shot and get more offensive rebounds. Two problems with this strategy. 1) blocking a shot into the 3rd row is obviously a nice feat but you're not gonna get an offensive rebound that way. 2) your player will be so intimidating that they'll be afraid of even taking the ball into the paint (think Patrick Ewing here). This leads to jumpers and 3 point shots which creates long rebounds which your big shot blocker will be out of position for. Aim for above average but not elite BLK rating here.

derp derp
3/12/2018 5:57 PM (edited)
Posted by Benis on 3/12/2018 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/12/2018 2:27:00 PM (view original):
"Only that weaker low post defenders get fewer rebounding opportunities, because they are giving up more successful field goals, and fouling more."

Well, yeah, I guess that works indirectly. Just like the defensive value of your guards will cause more or less missed shots, or tempo, or general fatigue level of your team and the opponents team.
This is why they created Rebounding %

The game doesn’t provide that metric. If it did, maybe people wouldn’t be asking whether they should bench their 98 REB C because he’s getting outrebounded by teammates. Maybe they’d tangibly see that better defenders create more rebounding opportunities, and tallying rebounds is not a game-winning tactic on its own.

Derp, derpy, derp
3/12/2018 6:21 PM
I interpreted the OPs original question as looking for advice on what impacts rebounding ability. The defense attribute can garner more rebound opportunities but I guess my point was it does not directly factor into rebounding ability.
3/12/2018 7:30 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 3/12/2018 7:30:00 PM (view original):
I interpreted the OPs original question as looking for advice on what impacts rebounding ability. The defense attribute can garner more rebound opportunities but I guess my point was it does not directly factor into rebounding ability.
That’s fine. I take the OP at face value, worried about his 98 Reb C, wondering if he should bench him. My answer is no, don’t remove that guy and replace him with the guy with lesser attributes just because he’s getting more rebounds per game. There are other things going into those raw numbers.
3/12/2018 9:17 PM
◂ Prev 12
High rated players underperforming Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.