First Four in Dayton Topic

Go Orange! I hope Benis and anyone else going has a great time... lucky!
3/14/2018 7:05 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/14/2018 6:54:00 PM (view original):
Because they don't want things handed to them on a silver platter? Being a Duke or UNC fan is basically the same thing as deciding to be a Real Madrid fan when you start watching European soccer. Or being a Yankees fan.

It doesn't take any real spirit to support a team with massive inherent financial advantages and which has to massively screw up to not be competitive for more than a season or two.
Just a tad retarded. I became a Yankee fan in 1969 as a 6 year old. My favorite player was Horace Clarke. Look up how the late 60s/early 70s Yankees played. And look up Horace Clarke.

Now I'd be on board if someone became a Yankees fan in the mid-90s or a Patriots in in the 2000s. But almost every other team has had up/downs over the last 20-40 years.
3/14/2018 7:07 PM
I was 6 when I started rooting for UNC... I dont remember exactly but I assume I liked them because of their color.. I should get a pass. I also started rooting for the Cleveland Indians in 95 as a 6 year old after finishing up my first season of baseball, was a catcher. Sandy Alomar Jr was and will always be my favorite baseball player.
3/14/2018 7:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/14/2018 7:07:00 PM (view original):
Because they don't want things handed to them on a silver platter? Being a Duke or UNC fan is basically the same thing as deciding to be a Real Madrid fan when you start watching European soccer. Or being a Yankees fan.

It doesn't take any real spirit to support a team with massive inherent financial advantages and which has to massively screw up to not be competitive for more than a season or two.
Just a tad retarded. I became a Yankee fan in 1969 as a 6 year old. My favorite player was Horace Clarke. Look up how the late 60s/early 70s Yankees played. And look up Horace Clarke.

Now I'd be on board if someone became a Yankees fan in the mid-90s or a Patriots in in the 2000s. But almost every other team has had up/downs over the last 20-40 years.
You're the type of person to use the word ret*****
3/14/2018 7:18 PM
Back to the topic, I think Trae could go off tonight and beat Syracuse. If not 'cuse wins.
3/14/2018 7:19 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 3/14/2018 7:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/14/2018 7:07:00 PM (view original):

You're the type of person to use the word ret*****
You're the type of person who worries what nameless, faceless people on the internet think of them.
3/14/2018 7:22 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 3/14/2018 7:19:00 PM (view original):
Back to the topic, I think Trae could go off tonight and beat Syracuse. If not 'cuse wins.
Hurley sure did not expect his shooters to wear down as the season progress, he should of worked a lot more inside-out. I think ASU wins tonight. As much as I like Syracuse, it's not a good team.
3/14/2018 8:07 PM
Fork ‘em! Even though as an ASU fan I’m not optimistic...
3/14/2018 9:01 PM
Congrats Benis! Ugly game, Syracuse controlled the pace and deserved to win. We'll get you next time!
3/14/2018 11:17 PM
Depends on what kind of UNC fan he is. If he is a reasonable fan, that's fine. If he's one that blames 2012 on Creighton, then I'd rather he be a Dook fan.
3/15/2018 1:37 AM
GG kc! Man, that was pretty fun, not gonna lie. Ugly game which is Cuse's style so it was perfect. We went out after and I didn't get to bed until almost 3am so I'm pretty beat right now but totally worth it.

A couple thoughts about the game and Dayton

- The place was sold out and supposedly biggest crowd for a First Four game. I'd say 20% cuse, 5% ASU and 75% Don't give a ****.
- It was such an odd mix of people that everyone was just sitting on their hands most of the time - which ****** me off. We were able to get rowdy towards the end but man, it was weak sauce for most of it.
- The architect of that building is an idiot. They have so many chokepoints it turns into such a clusterf*ck getting around. Maybe they're not used to have so many people there, I dunno but it sucked.
-Didn't serve beer. Also sucked.

On to TCU and that POS Jamie Dixon!
3/15/2018 8:21 AM
Posted by Benis on 3/15/2018 8:21:00 AM (view original):
GG kc! Man, that was pretty fun, not gonna lie. Ugly game which is Cuse's style so it was perfect. We went out after and I didn't get to bed until almost 3am so I'm pretty beat right now but totally worth it.

- The place was sold out and supposedly biggest crowd for a First Four game. I'd say 20% cuse, 5% ASU and 75% Don't give a ****.
- It was such an odd mix of people that everyone was just sitting on their hands most of the time - which ****** me off. We were able to get rowdy towards the end but man, it was weak sauce for most of it.
- The architect of that building is an idiot. They have so many chokepoints it turns into such a clusterf*ck getting around. Maybe they're not used to have so many people there, I dunno but it sucked.

Dayton has always had a population that will come out to watch sports in masses. Like their minor league baseball team, the Dayton Dragons, who have the record sellout streak for professional sports. I had some family at the games last night (I'm originally from the Dayton area), but they are not fans of either team, so you could lump them into that 75%. I've always thought that if you put the first four somewhere other than Dayton that you'd have a hard time getting as big of crowds as they do there. even if a large percentage of them don't necessarily have a dog in the fight.

UD arena is pretty dated, but they're in the process of $72 million renovations that will alleviate many of those concerns you have. They're totally used to sellout crowds, as Dayton always has a passionate basketball fanbase for Flyers games. https://transformudarena.com/
3/15/2018 9:48 AM
at most NCAA tunament venues, all of them that I have been at, they dont serve beer

I love going to first and second round - usually the crowd adopts teams - especially if an underdog makes a run. I suppose an issue in first four is that there are not underdogs - the games are mostly well matched ish.....

Some of the most entertaining games I have attended have been first and second round games where underdogs make a run - in Brooklyn a couple of years ago, SFA was hot and my friends and I joined thousands chanting SFA....SFA...

Long ago, I watched Richmond defeat Cuse, the first time a 15 seed beat a 2. My ears rang the next morning from the volume of the crowd.

but you wont get that in first four....still some good games at least on tv
3/15/2018 10:13 AM
Posted by BergPride on 3/15/2018 9:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 3/15/2018 8:21:00 AM (view original):

Dayton has always had a population that will come out to watch sports in masses. Like their minor league baseball team, the Dayton Dragons, who have the record sellout streak for professional sports. I had some family at the games last night (I'm originally from the Dayton area), but they are not fans of either team, so you could lump them into that 75%. I've always thought that if you put the first four somewhere other than Dayton that you'd have a hard time getting as big of crowds as they do there. even if a large percentage of them don't necessarily have a dog in the fight.

UD arena is pretty dated, but they're in the process of $72 million renovations that will alleviate many of those concerns you have. They're totally used to sellout crowds, as Dayton always has a passionate basketball fanbase for Flyers games. https://transformudarena.com/
Yeah it wasn't a bad arena. Didn't seem like a dump or anything. I actually really liked it when you were in your seats - just the layout was wack. I had seats on the baseline in the 2nd section and thought it was great.

Hopefully that reno will open up the flow a lot better.
3/15/2018 10:20 AM
My HS graduation ceremony was in that arena, about 35 years ago. In June. Prior to air conditioning.
Glad you had a nice time.
3/15/2018 10:25 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
First Four in Dayton Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.