What leads to fouls? Topic

Posted by mullycj on 3/19/2018 7:35:00 AM (view original):
Looking at your team, the real reason has nothing to do with your defense.

For a team as good as you, you suck at rebounding and you suck at ball handling. For the season you give up an average of extra 11 possessions from turnovers and 6 extra possessions from offensive rebounds. So its not like you foul much more per possession, but that you have to defend an extra 17 possessions each game.

The box score you posted is a PERFECT synopsis of your season so far as it matches your YTD averages in both those stat categories.
It was the only game they’ve played so far, so of course it matches YTD. Otherwise, I agree completely. When you have a good defensive team getting in foul trouble, it usually means your opponent is winning the possession game, and the fouls are a result of the extra opportunities. That seems to be the case in this example.
3/19/2018 9:12 AM
Completely agree with you on the BH and rebounding. I had never thought of that before, more possessions. I will keep an eye on that.
3/19/2018 10:01 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/19/2018 9:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 3/19/2018 7:35:00 AM (view original):
Looking at your team, the real reason has nothing to do with your defense.

For a team as good as you, you suck at rebounding and you suck at ball handling. For the season you give up an average of extra 11 possessions from turnovers and 6 extra possessions from offensive rebounds. So its not like you foul much more per possession, but that you have to defend an extra 17 possessions each game.

The box score you posted is a PERFECT synopsis of your season so far as it matches your YTD averages in both those stat categories.
It was the only game they’ve played so far, so of course it matches YTD. Otherwise, I agree completely. When you have a good defensive team getting in foul trouble, it usually means your opponent is winning the possession game, and the fouls are a result of the extra opportunities. That seems to be the case in this example.
LOL......well I DID think it was a coincidence ....second LOL
3/19/2018 10:42 AM
I have limited experience compared to some here, but it seems to me that even with decent ATH/DEF at the 3-5 positions, going beyond -1 or -2 on defensive positioning (towards -5) results in a lot of fouls.
3/19/2018 12:14 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 3/19/2018 10:01:00 AM (view original):
Completely agree with you on the BH and rebounding. I had never thought of that before, more possessions. I will keep an eye on that.
Yeah, with this particular team, I think the best reason to run slowdown is lack of ball-handling. I’m not nearly as concerned about the fouls as I am the turnover potential.
3/19/2018 12:37 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/18/2018 4:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 3/18/2018 8:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/18/2018 1:56:00 AM (view original):
Defensive setting as well....- defenses draw more fouls.
I don't think this is exclusively true. If your team is perfectly well balanced and your opponents is too, this may be the case, but when your opponent has high distro to his guards and you have a slower backcourt if you run a + your perimeter defenders are more likely to foul.

That said, I think speed does play a factor in perimeter defense. Not sure if it's on par with ATH, DEF, and IQ but it's definitely a factor. IQ is also way more important than some people realize. I've had senior starters with sub-40 DEF and 40-60 ATH with A+ defensive IQ's average fewer fouls per game than freshman starters with 70+ ATH/DEF and D/C IQ's.
Are you certain this is true? I have never observed this effect. I used to run analyses that pulled data from all accessible box scores and I have never seen anything to suggest that fouls do anything but monotonically increase as positioning moves toward -.
Certain? No. But for man and press teams I have observed many of my teams more often than I thought they would in extreme - defenses.

I rarely get into foul trouble at -1.
3/19/2018 3:31 PM
◂ Prev 12
What leads to fouls? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.