What leads to fouls? Topic

What ratings lead to fouls?

I notice that my teams always have a lot of fouls, even with surperior ATH/DEF. I don’t emphasize SPD, so I am guessing it is that.
3/18/2018 12:11 AM
Normally lack of athleticism, IQ, defense and stamina. Which team?
3/18/2018 12:55 AM
The style of defense you play matters as well. Pressing usually produces the most fouls and Zone leads to the fewest fouls on average.
3/18/2018 1:34 AM
Defensive setting as well....- defenses draw more fouls.
3/18/2018 1:56 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/18/2018 1:56:00 AM (view original):
I don't think this is exclusively true. If your team is perfectly well balanced and your opponents is too, this may be the case, but when your opponent has high distro to his guards and you have a slower backcourt if you run a + your perimeter defenders are more likely to foul.

That said, I think speed does play a factor in perimeter defense. Not sure if it's on par with ATH, DEF, and IQ but it's definitely a factor. IQ is also way more important than some people realize. I've had senior starters with sub-40 DEF and 40-60 ATH with A+ defensive IQ's average fewer fouls per game than freshman starters with 70+ ATH/DEF and D/C IQ's.
3/18/2018 8:37 AM
Agree completely. My teams tend to play more of an inside game offensively, and tend to be among the top teams in my conferences from season to season in free throw attempts.
3/18/2018 10:26 AM
Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Game Boxscore - Colorado vs. Nebraska Wesleyan
I notice it will all of my teams, except VT, and I have started running a lot of slowdown which has seemed to help with it, so there isn’t a good example right now to look at box scores. All man teams. All extremely high ATH/DEF, usually highest or top 3 in their division.

That box score at the top is an example of fouling a lot on an inferior team.
3/18/2018 11:34 AM
Because of this I rarely run - defenses.
3/18/2018 11:40 AM
I have started to get the sense that my style of team (Currently my Colorado’s, and GVST, Grand Canyon isn’t there yet) does better at slowdown because uptempo and normal lead to a lot of fouls. But I can’t determine why, because I have really high ATH DEF on all of my teams, and I don’t have aweful SPD, but certiany not great. I dont run normal or uptempo against teams with higher stamina and/or more players, and my teams generally have pretty good stamina. I put 20 into each OFF/DEF, which might be a little lower than some people have, but I do it to put more into stamina and DEF and such. I rarely run - positioning on D.

3/18/2018 11:48 AM
Your Colorado teams average 13 and 14.8 fouls per game. Certainly not a lot, relatively speaking. Top 15 most years, I suspect.

As to the question, I echo sol_phenom that IQ is often a bigger factor than folks give it credit for.
3/18/2018 4:02 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 3/18/2018 11:40:00 AM (view original):
Because of this I rarely run - defenses.
If you have a solid defense you don’t need to worry about it.
3/18/2018 4:58 PM
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 3/18/2018 8:37:00 AM (view original):
I don't think this is exclusively true. If your team is perfectly well balanced and your opponents is too, this may be the case, but when your opponent has high distro to his guards and you have a slower backcourt if you run a + your perimeter defenders are more likely to foul.

That said, I think speed does play a factor in perimeter defense. Not sure if it's on par with ATH, DEF, and IQ but it's definitely a factor. IQ is also way more important than some people realize. I've had senior starters with sub-40 DEF and 40-60 ATH with A+ defensive IQ's average fewer fouls per game than freshman starters with 70+ ATH/DEF and D/C IQ's.
Are you certain this is true? I have never observed this effect. I used to run analyses that pulled data from all accessible box scores and I have never seen anything to suggest that fouls do anything but monotonically increase as positioning moves toward -.
3/18/2018 4:59 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/18/2018 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Your Colorado teams average 13 and 14.8 fouls per game. Certainly not a lot, relatively speaking. Top 15 most years, I suspect.

As to the question, I echo sol_phenom that IQ is often a bigger factor than folks give it credit for.
That’s because I have been running slowdown. In the past and especially in the NT when I wasn’t running slowdown I had real problems with fouls. I don’t like the solution being having to run slowdown because it makes my dominant teams less likely to beat worse teams.

I wish I could pull up boxscores from 2 seasons or so ago to give you a better idea of what I am talking about but sadly I can’t.
3/18/2018 5:22 PM
Looking at your team, the real reason has nothing to do with your defense.

For a team as good as you, you suck at rebounding and you suck at ball handling. For the season you give up an average of extra 11 possessions from turnovers and 6 extra possessions from offensive rebounds. So its not like you foul much more per possession, but that you have to defend an extra 17 possessions each game.

The box score you posted is a PERFECT synopsis of your season so far as it matches your YTD averages in both those stat categories.
3/19/2018 7:35 AM
12 Next ▸
What leads to fouls? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.