16x16 v22 Draft Topic

After writing all of this, I am now contemplating making the following roster change...

In: B/Giles, P.Guerrero, J.Weaver
Out: E.Averill, R.Santo, J.Tudor

Advantages, I get 40 more usable innings with slightly better whip. Get another RHP (I have too many LHPs). The offense is upgraded (especially at 3B)
Disadvantages. Defensive downgrade (especially at CF). Weaver allows 0.95 hr/9 compared to 0.62 for Tudor (I am playing in -1 ballpark for HRs). Also, I will have to use a terrible Uribe (.264 obp) at 3B to offset the 100 PA I am losing going from Santo to Guerrero. Or I could cut Hargrave and pick up '85 Madlock (.360/.428/.452 in 128 PA) to make up the PA at 3B. but then I have to play Kendall 100% at C.
I think I just talked myself out of making this swap. Man, the permutations of this theme can drive you crazy.
4/7/2018 12:26 PM
Here are some specifics of the next 16x16 version in case you want to start thinking about your next player nomination...

$130 M salary cap
DH = Yes
Must use an all-star season of the player you nominate (so no playing time rule on your nominated player)
9 hitters and 7 pitchers will be nominated (instead of the usual 8 and 8)
Blacklist will include players making playoffs, players selected more than once and players used in the last 3 versions.

The additional blacklisted players (to be added to the most recent blacklist) include C.Hubbell, J.Smoltz, J.Pizarro, L.Tiant, D.Eckersley, G.Carter, H.Davis, W.Randolph, J.Collins, K.Lofton, E.Roush, W.Cooper, T.Hudson, C.Hough, R.Marquard, M.Stanton, M.Grant, B.Boone, T.Clark, L.Castillo, A.Rodriguez, V.Wertz, A.Pafko, A.Pettitte, F.Jenkins, T.John, W.Williams, W.Masterson and anybody selected in this most recent version.

Don't post anything in this thread. Wait until I open up a new thread in the classifieds. I will send a site-mail to everybody who played in this league when I post.

4/7/2018 12:42 PM
I just noticed that, rather ironically, I ended up with only 5 guys who play any OF at all. In fact, my defensive versatility is close to nil. 12 of my 14 hitters played only one position, and the only "extra" position the other two played are SS where I already have a big wasted Foli to suck up any needed PA. Forget double-switches ...

Also, Foli is now my fastest runner at 78. Biggio was caught stealing 17 of 32 times, too. We'd better hit the ball out of the park a lot.
4/7/2018 12:48 PM
My strategy in Schwarze's draft is to try to skunk my friend, PedroCerrano in every single round. In this draft it was even more important, since Pedro nominated the dreaded Whitehill. After seeing Pedro's write up, that I didn't get to him even once, I realized that my I have failed terribly. Love my hitters, pitchers are weak but with the pitchers nominated it couldn't be avoided, and I tried to avoid them. Next draft, I may need to nominate Barry Bonds, one of Pedro's favorites, just to make up for this!

"Might be time to awaken Jobu"

4/7/2018 1:29 PM
My thoughts per round. . . .

Initial nomination: I have had some luck with 2002 Derek Lowe in other themes and I saw that he had quite a few below average seasons in the $2-5M range so figured he was as good as any to nominate. Plus a bunch of teammate potential including Nomar, Man-Ram, Johnny Damon, Pedro, and Tim Wakefield. I ended up taking Nomar and Pedro as teammates. . . .I intended to use Manny Ramirez but made a last minute switch to 02 Larry Walker for the improved defense.

Round 1: 1940 Willis Hudlin - I had a fairly late pick and really wanted to clear one of the crappy pitchers off my board with a cheap season. . . .I saw a cheap Hudlin with the 40 Indians which got me a nice 337 IP Bob Feller so couldn't pass that up.

Round 2: 1966 Bob Friend - Again wanting to cut costs, I can see that Bob Friend is going to get expensive quickly so I decide to act early and get a relatively cheap 1966 Mets version, although there is no teammate help here.

Round 3: 1928 Earl Whitehill - This one I struggled with. I want to start grabbing some good offensive seasons, but my tunnel vision on these bad pitchers makes me notice there are only 2 sub-$5 million seasons left for Whitehill. I can't help myself and grab 1928 which is $150K more than the other option (1936 season), but I see potential teammates in Charlie Gehringer and Harry Heillman (ended up using neither). . . . .plus this puts an end to my issues with Friend, Hudlin, and Whitehill. Thank God. Note that the 1936 version gets snagged by Donburgh 2 picks later so I feel good with my selection here. The next Whitehill doesn't get picked until round 11.

Round 4: 1947 Warren Spahn - Again I want to go offense, but I just can see problems getting 1200+ quality innings with what is left on the board. I carefully look at Spahn's remaining seasons and decide to splurge on 1947 which provides 305 very good (not great) innings. . . .but certainly better than anything Hudlin, Friend, Whitehill, or remaining Hershisers will give me. There are also several potential offensive teammates on this team, of which I ended up using two: C Phil Masi and 3B Bob Elliot who will be my primary third baseman..

Round 5: 1927 Al Simmons - Finally a hitter! I know that with teammates plus the remaining picks of Mcgee, Williams, and Foli, I will have plenty of PAs in the outfield so I grab this ridiculous 482 PA version of Simmons. . . .with a SLG+ of 162, an OPS+ of 144 and a contact rate of .926 I expect him to mash. I also got the added bonus of potential teammates in Mickey Cochrane and Ty Cobb. I ended up using neither, I was all set to use Cochrane but salary dictated a step down to 47 Phil Masi instead to platoon with Kendall.

Round 6: 1997 Craig Biggio - I already have the highest salary (and thus last pick) but that doesn't stop me from taking this $8.4M version of Biggio, Quite frankly I'm surprised he is still on the board, this is an amazing season both offensively and defensively and he will bat leadoff for me all season. Potential teammates Jeff Bagwell and Billy Wagner end up not being used.

Round 7: 1996 Jason Kendall - There has been a run on Kendalls and honestly this is the last decent lower PA/salary season I see so I grab it. No teammate options here at all.

Round 8: 1988 Andres Galarraga - I now realize that my situation dictates I will need a usable full season version of Andres at 1B, and this version appears to be my best option, not only for his offensive numbers but also because I REALLY want 88 Pascual Perez on my staff. This may have been the easiest pick of the draft for me.

Gotta run but don't want to lose this so hopefully to be continued. . . . .

4/7/2018 3:34 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23
16x16 v22 Draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.