theme leage query Topic

ive always liked the black list leagues. but what about a reverse blacklist league. A must have league. a league where the owner would provide X amount of players that you hade to choose from to make your team. I'm sure this has been thought of before but ive never done one and id like to.
3/21/2018 12:20 AM (edited)
Posted by lucko on 3/21/2018 12:20:00 AM (view original):
ive always liked the black list leagues. but what about a reverse blacklist league. A must have league. a league where the owner would provide X amount of players that you hade to choose from to make your team. I'm sure this has been thought of before but ive never done one and id like to.
Let me mull this around for a few days. That Alphabet soup league is a bit like that. half full now..
3/29/2018 6:57 PM
I was in a league similar to this idea before. Everyone submitted a player that every other team had to use. The submitting team couldn't use him though, so nobody wanted to give out the popular big name guys.
3/29/2018 8:44 PM
Posted by donaldjl on 3/29/2018 8:44:00 PM (view original):
I was in a league similar to this idea before. Everyone submitted a player that every other team had to use. The submitting team couldn't use him though, so nobody wanted to give out the popular big name guys.
THAT sounds like FUN. I'd start with Steve Thomas or or Patrick Roy
3/30/2018 10:44 AM (edited)
Definitely see different players. The downside being the same 24 names for the entire league. Just have to decide which version to use.
3/30/2018 12:44 PM
Depends on the players accepted into it, I guess. If it's just full of all the players blacklisted in the No WiS All Stars league then I'd probably pass because I'm sick of those players.

I really like donaldjl's idea. Or some spin on it. As mentioned you'd see the same names on every team though, but they could also be different years (assuming) so that helps. That doesn't necessarily bother me though, if they're all the same, but it might for some users. To fix that, we could have everyone submit maybe 3 players, and then that becomes the pool of players you can choose from. Something like that?

Maybe everyone submits 1 line: 3 forwards, 2 D and a goalie. People don't have to draft them all together, but this is just to add names to the pool of available players to choose from. So overall each user is adding 5 players in this scenario.
3/30/2018 1:45 PM (edited)
Back in the day of bigbuzz and sikboy21 (among others I can't recall at the momemt), we had extravagantly mastered theme leagues which would cause minor brain damage during the draft process. We also had a slew of users willing to subject themselves to these leagues time and again.
Sadly, SLH was left floundering for whatever reason, and people stopped playing. Now we have theme leagues that are mediocre as a challenge (no offense to those creating leagues now), thus resulting in stale, cookie-cutter type leagues, and not enough people willing to keep coming back for the same thing.
It's a real shame what happened to a once populous and active community here.
3/30/2018 2:05 PM
id like to create a list. say, 100 players. picked by me. and all owners would have to pick from that list. there are some names id like to see that i really never do. like Mike Gartner or Darryl Sittler. I don't see Denis Savard or Marcel Dionne or Ray Bourque. something like that.
3/30/2018 3:25 PM
Posted by lucko on 3/30/2018 3:25:00 PM (view original):
id like to create a list. say, 100 players. picked by me. and all owners would have to pick from that list. there are some names id like to see that i really never do. like Mike Gartner or Darryl Sittler. I don't see Denis Savard or Marcel Dionne or Ray Bourque. something like that.
Just filter all centers who are over 20% shooting.. and all wingers over D 65 who are also over 20%. Then you will see more of Gartner, and etc... and owners can still grab a Robitaille and/or a Goulet... and you could still make a list and tell us to pick 3 players from it

I have one in the making and it filters out over $9m on one wing, over 80d on another wing and over 20% up the middle..might cap them all at 8 million if over 20%.. and I love making a line like the d 92 Leach, with maybe kryskow, and the 89 d rated Gilmour. Another line might be Rick martin in his 90D 45 goals season with Mcnab 13% and about 78 points, or so. BUT then someone hits me with Wayne and Bossy and we are toast
3/30/2018 9:24 PM (edited)
Posted by donaldjl on 3/30/2018 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Back in the day of bigbuzz and sikboy21 (among others I can't recall at the momemt), we had extravagantly mastered theme leagues which would cause minor brain damage during the draft process. We also had a slew of users willing to subject themselves to these leagues time and again.
Sadly, SLH was left floundering for whatever reason, and people stopped playing. Now we have theme leagues that are mediocre as a challenge (no offense to those creating leagues now), thus resulting in stale, cookie-cutter type leagues, and not enough people willing to keep coming back for the same thing.
It's a real shame what happened to a once populous and active community here.
I could make a theme league real nasty to draft from, but people like two things: Variety (meaning fewer of the cookie cutters) and simplicity. Some themes; I take a look and just say FORGET IT, because although some twists and conditions are good, drafting should be FUN, not tedious

Another thing I could do is just block out Bossy Kurri Gretzky and Mario, and a few others.. but leave a few of those in .. at less than say 8 million, and allow just ONE winger over 20% and also limit centers to say 81 D if over 6.5 million or so. That would allow Savard, and the D 92 Adam Oates, or Peter Mcnab at his D 90 rate.. but some would opt for a lower D rated C like Stastny or Nilsson, and remember just one forward can be over 20% so maybe that might fit the bill better? Limit the defencemen to 74 and goalies to 3 million and maybe 89.7%... and let 'er roll
3/30/2018 9:31 PM (edited)
They weren't nasty or tedious drafts, but required.a lot of thinking and tinkering. They were also fun which is why they filled. I'm talking about themes such as the 24 rules leagues and the rule of 5 (or 6) leagues that had you scrambling to fit players across multiple rules so you could try to fit in a ringer or 2.
The majority of the theme leagues now are basically blacklist leagues or use players from a single criteria (i.e. Swedish born players). Even with the blacklist, the next tier of players end up on most teams so it's still a limit on variation.

I'm just waxing nostalgic here and ******** about the current state of this game. And I'd rather try to fit 23 players into the 24 or more total rules from the leagues I mentioned above, than just follow the basic open league strategy with slight modifications.

3/30/2018 10:06 PM
Posted by donaldjl on 3/30/2018 10:06:00 PM (view original):
They weren't nasty or tedious drafts, but required.a lot of thinking and tinkering. They were also fun which is why they filled. I'm talking about themes such as the 24 rules leagues and the rule of 5 (or 6) leagues that had you scrambling to fit players across multiple rules so you could try to fit in a ringer or 2.
The majority of the theme leagues now are basically blacklist leagues or use players from a single criteria (i.e. Swedish born players). Even with the blacklist, the next tier of players end up on most teams so it's still a limit on variation.

I'm just waxing nostalgic here and ******** about the current state of this game. And I'd rather try to fit 23 players into the 24 or more total rules from the leagues I mentioned above, than just follow the basic open league strategy with slight modifications.

I played in some of them. I am aka Lostnfound74 and Highstyx5 (HS account closed, and I made this one) They were fun, and The thing is, when you make such a league, you spend a lot of time checking the teams, and if you miss something, it gets weird. I make a lot of leagues, and will see if I can come up with something. Take a peek at the Alphabet soup league... 100m and you might like that one

Cheers
3/30/2018 11:40 PM
theme leage query Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.