2018 Predictions Topic

3/29/2018 3:26 PM
Samardzija back late April/early May, Bumgarner back late May/early June. Even if they're in a small hole, there's a lot of season left at that point. They're clearly going for it with all the salary they added this offseason, so they'll go get more bullpen help if they need it. That team's gonna be a total wreck in 2-3 years, but for right now I think they can make a run into a Wildcard spot. I think both NL wildcard spots are really up for grabs - there's the appearance of one really good team in each division and then a bunch of teams that need some things to go right for them.
3/29/2018 4:50 PM
They’ll definitely be a fun team to twist, but that’s all they’re good for. Bunch of over the hill veterans. But I’ll be rooting for Austin Jackson.

edit: as I say that...
3/29/2018 7:10 PM
I'm not a fan of the Giants, so I won't be sad if you're right. I just don't see it how you do. You talk as if the Giants players are years removed from high-level performance. These guys hit last year. There are more players in their regular lineup who had an OPS+ over 120 in 2017 (3) than guys who had an OPS+ below 100 (2). By contrast, the Cubs project to start 3 guys who had OPS+ under 100 and only 2 who had an OPS+ over 120. And those 2 under-100 Giants are Brandon Crawford, who had an OPS+ over 100 each of the three previous seasons and has now won 3 straight gold gloves, and Hunter Pence, who had previously had an OPS+ over 100 in each of the first 10 seasons of his career. Pence may be legitimately over the hill - with his aggressive approach he was never a good bet to hit well in his mid-30s - but I think Crawford still has a lot left to offer. Frankly, outside the projected division winners, no team in the NL has the lineup depth the Giants do. And they get to pair that with 2 aces for 2/3 of the season in Bumgarner and Cueto, and a decent third starter in Samardzija.
3/29/2018 7:57 PM
Forgot to mention, one of the very best managers in baseball. Not worth a lot, but not quite nothing.
3/29/2018 8:25 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/29/2018 7:57:00 PM (view original):
I'm not a fan of the Giants, so I won't be sad if you're right. I just don't see it how you do. You talk as if the Giants players are years removed from high-level performance. These guys hit last year. There are more players in their regular lineup who had an OPS+ over 120 in 2017 (3) than guys who had an OPS+ below 100 (2). By contrast, the Cubs project to start 3 guys who had OPS+ under 100 and only 2 who had an OPS+ over 120. And those 2 under-100 Giants are Brandon Crawford, who had an OPS+ over 100 each of the three previous seasons and has now won 3 straight gold gloves, and Hunter Pence, who had previously had an OPS+ over 100 in each of the first 10 seasons of his career. Pence may be legitimately over the hill - with his aggressive approach he was never a good bet to hit well in his mid-30s - but I think Crawford still has a lot left to offer. Frankly, outside the projected division winners, no team in the NL has the lineup depth the Giants do. And they get to pair that with 2 aces for 2/3 of the season in Bumgarner and Cueto, and a decent third starter in Samardzija.
yeah, but MadBum is out till at least June and Samardzija is out till later this month. As long as they don't dig themselves too much of a hole they could be alright. Their offense has to do better than 2 runs in 4 games though!
4/2/2018 12:22 PM
The Tigers 3B JEIMER CANDELARIO will contend for, if not win, the ROY in the AL. Ohtani may relegate him to 2nd.
4/3/2018 12:08 PM
I have high hopes for Candelario, but Ohtani is pretty much a lock for ROY
4/3/2018 2:38 PM
4/3/2018 3:28 PM
I figured the Royals would be in contention with the Tigers and Marlins for the worst record, but how is Chicago and Baltimore SOOO BAD! They’re way more talented. What’s going on!
5/13/2018 2:15 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 3/22/2018 2:04:00 PM (view original):
Ight here we go.

AL East

Yankees - x
Red Sox - y
Orioles
Blue Jays
Rays

AL Central

Indians - x
Twins
White Sox
Royals
Tigers

AL West

Astros - x
Angels - y
Mariners
Rangers
Athletics

NL East

Nationals - x
Phillies
Mets
Braves
Marlins

NL Central

Cubs - x
Brewers - y
Cardinals
Pirates
Reds

NL West

Dodgers - x
Diamondbacks - y
Rockies
Giants
Padres

AL Wildcard
LAA @ BOS - Boston wins

NL Wildcard
MIL @ ARI - Arizona wins

ALDS
Houston defeats Boston in 4
Cleveland defeats New York in 4

NLDS
Washington (again disappoints me) defeated by Arizona in 5
Los Angeles defeats Chicago in 5

ALCS
Houston defeats Cleveland in 7

NLCS
Los Angeles defeats Arizona in 5

World Series
Houston defeats Los Angeles in 6

Accolades

AL MVP: Mike Trout

NL MVP: Paul Goldschmidt

AL CY: Garrett Richards

NL CY: Max Scherzer

Yankees break ‘97 Mariners All Time Record mark of 264 homers in a season

AL ROY: Shohei Ohtani

NL ROY: Ronald Acuna

AL Comeback POTY: Garrett Richards

NL Comeback POTY: Carlos Gonzalez

More Predictions

Most HR AL : Giancarlo Stanton (46)

Most HR NL : Nolan Arenado (44)

Most SB AL : Dee Gordon (68)

Most SB NL : Billy Hamilton (59)

Most RBI AL : JD Martinez (122)

Most RBI NL : Nolan Arenado (133)

Most Wins AL : Justin Verlander (22)

Most Wins NL : Max Scherzer (23)

Most K AL : Chris Sale (281)

Most K NL : Noah Syndergaard (258)

ERA Leader AL : Garrett Richards (2.43)

ERA Leader NL : Max Scherzer (2.28)

BA Leader AL : Jose Altuve (.331)

BA Leader NL : Daniel Murphy (.326)

Draft Order

1. Tigers
2. Marlins
3. Reds
4. Rays
5. Royals
6. Padres
7. Athletics
8. Braves
9. Rangers
10. Pirates
11. Blue Jays
12. White Sox
13. Giants
14. Mets
15. Mariners
16. Orioles
17. Rockies
18. Twins
19. Phillies
20. Cardinals
21. Brewers
22. Diamondbacks
23. Angels
24. Red Sox
25. Yankees
26. Cubs
27. Dodgers
28. Nationals
29. Indians
30. Astros

(did draft order cuz too lazy to do W-L for each team)
3 quarters of the way thru. Overestimated the steals. Nailed the NL Central and possibly the NL West. Nats disappointed me again but not in the way I thought. And I’m never betting on an Angels pitcher ever again
8/17/2018 2:32 PM
You needed to quote a post that big just to say that?

THREAD KILLER!!
8/17/2018 2:50 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 3/22/2018 5:33:00 PM (view original):
also a wrong one.
Yes
8/17/2018 9:30 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 3/22/2018 6:58:00 PM (view original):
Maybe. I predict JD Martinez does not have anywhere close to 122 RBI
No
8/17/2018 9:30 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/29/2018 12:12:00 PM (view original):
I'd say Chris Davis should be in that conversation, but I think Prince Fielder just wins. Period. Insurance is covering what, about 40% of his salary? The Rangers and Tigers are still combining to pay him about $15 million a year for the next 4 years.
Yes
8/17/2018 9:34 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
2018 Predictions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.