Importance of day of the week consistency Topic

How important is it to everyone for the day of the week that the season timeline events fall on be consistent season to season? For example: the day of the week that recruiting starts.

Seble made a comment in one of the announcement threads this week that the repeating of the day of the week season to season wasn’t intentional and could very well change. I do not understand his comment, as it would have to be intentional for the seasons to fall out as they do.

It’s important to me, and is fairly core to me being able to play the game well. Not getting the impression that Seble thinks that it’s important. Maybe I’m of a minority opinion here, so posting the question.
3/28/2018 10:01 PM
You should set up a poll. For me, it's fairly important, but not a deal breaker.
3/28/2018 10:10 PM
How important is it to you that season timeline events occur on the same day of the week from season to season? (for example: the start of recruiting)
Votes: 117
(Last vote received: 11/29/2019 5:23 AM)
3/28/2018 10:17 PM
i think that for some it is going to be very important. for them its the reason they play certain worlds. and moving it back the way it should be would be a simple fix. just remove one day out of the new coach sign up, or the two warmups after signings on the same day, one at night and one the next afternoon. also i think they need to make it standard across the board that if youre going to stop the site and push stuff back a day that you push EVERYTHING back a day. dont postpone games a day but only push back signings 12 hours. that part i really didnt like at all. seeing as it cost me 2 players i had plenty of funds to win. but didnt get the chance because they signed over night before i looked at 9am of what should have been right before signings should have started.
3/29/2018 8:21 AM
The 1st day of recruiting is the single most important factor in choosing which worlds I play. My work schedule is very hectic and to be available on the 2nd day of recruiting in the afternoon is crucial for me to be able to recruit properly. Any change of days leaves me re-evaluating whether I can play in that world.
3/29/2018 8:53 AM
I could care less what day it's on. If the day of the week was a problem for me I would just change worlds.

Here's a solution: Let people submit support tickets to join new worlds at any level they want.
3/29/2018 9:34 AM
Jeff, problem with that is even if they could , they would still start from wherever their new team was as far as quality.
And no one wants to give up the time and effort they have put into their original team .
So I can see where this is a real problem for the many where the days of recruiting matter. And I'm not sure if there "is" an answer that will make everyone , or even most of the coaches happy.
3/29/2018 10:36 AM

There are two separate but related issues. The first is the lost day caused by the transition this week. The other is Sebel's apparent perception that there isn't a requirement for the day of the week to be consistent. In the "Issues in the new environment" thread under Critical News, Sebel posted the following:

As for GD, I'll consider adjusting the schedule, but it may not be possible. It's not easy to adjust schedules in GD because it can cause unintended problems.

With that said, the game was never designed to run on the same day of the week. That was purely a coincidence. It's very likely that in the future the schedule will change, and this will no longer be possible anyway.

I created this thread primarily to explore the second issue, as my perception of it is that there is a requirement for the day of the week to be consistent, and if I'm not of the minority opinion on this, we should be sure to make it known that this is a requirement for a lot of people so that Sebel can keep that in mind in the decisions he makes for the game going forward. I also think all the worlds should be adjusted back to their day of the week start dates before the transition that occurred this week.

3/29/2018 1:02 PM (edited)
Posted by jms245 on 3/29/2018 1:02:00 PM (view original):

There are two separate but related issues. The first is the lost day caused by the transition this week. The other is Sebel's apparent perception that there isn't a requirement for the day of the week to be consistent. In the "Issues in the new environment" thread under Critical News, Sebel posted the following:

As for GD, I'll consider adjusting the schedule, but it may not be possible. It's not easy to adjust schedules in GD because it can cause unintended problems.

With that said, the game was never designed to run on the same day of the week. That was purely a coincidence. It's very likely that in the future the schedule will change, and this will no longer be possible anyway.

I created this thread primarily to explore the second issue, as my perception of it is that there is a requirement for the day of the week to be consistent, and if I'm not of the minority opinion on this, we should be sure to make it known that this is a requirement for a lot of people so that Sebel can keep that in mind in the decisions he makes for the game going forward. I also think all the worlds should be adjusted back to their day of the week start dates before the transition that occurred this week.

Part 2 of that definitely needs to be explored a bit. The "poll" question above does not quite get to the heart of this potential problem with future scheduling.

Right now.....I don't really care if the whole schedule slips one day. Yeah, its a pain in the butt, but I'll live.

NOW: if we have "inconsistent" scheduling in the future...meaning that the overall world cycle is anything other than multiples of 7 days....then THAT WOULD BE A MAJOR PROBLEM FOR ME.
3/29/2018 1:47 PM
Programmatically, I can see this being a nightmare to fix. The code probably runs the data independently for each world. It would take a pause for all worlds for basically a week to make the easiest transition if that is even possible, plus I would miss my daily WIS fix... Otherwise, taking a day out of each schedule would still have to be completed on a schedule. (Aka don’t run Warner today to remove the day, etc...)

In either case, it is a pain for me as I prefer the Sunday recruiting for the overlap worlds I have. Certainly, I am in several but that is now problamatic. Monday is the busiest day of the week and I am recruiting in two worlds simultaneously. Not good. So much for Sunday afternoons and beer....
3/29/2018 3:17 PM
I can’t see why it would be a problem to lop off the last day of recruiting (too long anyway) to bring every league back to the ‘correct’ day. Or to put it simply have a 34 instead of 35 day season at the first opportunity.
3/29/2018 4:48 PM
Agree recruiting, and the off season is too long as is. If they were planning on improving the game and making it more interesting to play they would add something to do in off season. Especially for Div 1A. 13 - 15 games and a couple of days recruiting is not enough for a 35 day season, or whatever it is.
Too much downtime = loss of interest.
3/29/2018 5:39 PM
"Programmatically, I can see this being a nightmare to fix. The code probably runs the data independently for each world. It would take a pause for all worlds for basically a week ..."

I think you're right, and they have bigger fish to fry. And as Seble has repeatedly pointed out, if a world had an exact number of weeks that was by accident, not design, and was never promised. I think all the whining is pointless.
3/29/2018 10:03 PM
Everyone will decide what's important to them, but for me, a regular schedule is a must. Weekends are the only time when I can focus on the start of recruiting. And I've spent my time and dime building the teams I have to the way I want them; I have no desire to start over in a different world. So, if this shift in schedule that the server migration caused sticks, or if the season schedule is changed and the start of recruiting falls on a different day each season, then I'll be one of those heading towards the door. Not trying to convince anyone else to walk; just stating the reality for me. Though I suspect the exit could end up being a little crowded anyway.
3/29/2018 10:22 PM

And as Seble has repeatedly pointed out, if a world had an exact number of weeks that was by accident, not design, and was never promised.

Originally by accident or by design, promised or not promised, these distinctions are irrelevant. It's the way it is. A lot of people like it, and wouldn't have been able to play the game if the situation was different. When something gets coded, it often happens that seemingly small details to the makers can end up being major details to sets of users. There is no wisdom in ignoring these learned requirements.

3/30/2018 12:11 AM
12 Next ▸
Importance of day of the week consistency Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.