Importance of day of the week consistency Topic

I don't have a problem if Wilkinson/Dobie started on Thur now instead of Wed as it has. I don't have a problem with them starting on Thur this time and on a Tue next season and a Sun the next time. Same with my other 4 worlds. These seem to be the two concerns of the board.

As long as every world changes in lock step with each other I am okay. I just dont want recruiting in one world to start overlapping playoffs in another when it hasnt been, that would create a time constraint I dont now have. I dont see this problem occurring, so I'm good.

Carry on.
3/30/2018 12:41 AM
Posted by jms245 on 3/30/2018 12:11:00 AM (view original):

And as Seble has repeatedly pointed out, if a world had an exact number of weeks that was by accident, not design, and was never promised.

Originally by accident or by design, promised or not promised, these distinctions are irrelevant. It's the way it is. A lot of people like it, and wouldn't have been able to play the game if the situation was different. When something gets coded, it often happens that seemingly small details to the makers can end up being major details to sets of users. There is no wisdom in ignoring these learned requirements.

Well said. For those of us who feel affected, it is an issue, not just complaining to complain. Will it run me out of WIS? Probably not, but I may drop a few teams. I will not reinvest again to build in different worlds to be honest. I suspect that there are many like myself who feel the same.

I left last time due to an engine change that in my opinion ruined the game “for me”. I returned after a long stay because I hoped the engine was repaired. I am enjoying the game, but I did choose specific worlds due to recruiting schedules. I am sure it is apparent to most that the time constraints of recruiting in the first 24-48 hours are important and if the real world prevents someone from being effective, it is like pouring money and time down the drain.

I have little of either to spare. I uunderstand it may not be an easy fix, but many have suggested shortening the seasons anyway. Take one day from all worlds during recruiting. From a WIS perspective, this is actually a projected “growth” in revenue as a shorter season means more seasons overall per year/annum. This is a cash flow boon with little to any backlash from users VS the current situation.

Just a thought.
3/30/2018 10:47 AM
Cutting one day means about 3% more seasons per calendar year. Will 3% of the coaches drop because of the irregularity of the starting dates? So the revenue growth you seem to see is not likely.

I have played over 200 seasons, so I have spend easily over $1,000 on GD. Putting it like that, I feel that I have some "skin in the game" and my views should have some influence.

I want the seasons to roll over on the same day of the week. I want recruiting to start on the same day of the week. Will I reduce my level of participation if seble keeps rolling it like he has? That is highly likely.

I quit when JConte screwed the pooch. I came back when things had settled down. I can do that again...
3/30/2018 12:17 PM
If you take 1 day from recruiting, each world would then be on a 27 day cycle instead of 28 and everything would be on a different day every season and I think that would be worse for most people.
3/30/2018 12:35 PM
It looks like there are two ways to do this. WIS can go to each world individually, and delete a day of the job change period for just that cycle. That would put the schedule back to normal without permanently changing the 28 day cycle. The problem would be if the code was written so that all worlds had to be adjusted at the same time, which would mean the deleted job-change day in one world could be the NC game day in another world. I don't know how hard it would be to rewrite the entire scheduling code to accommodate it, but at the very least we'd be subjected to innumerable bugs in the new code. It'd be pretty expensive, and probably not worth the potential unintended consequences.
The other option would be to pause all the worlds for an additional six days, pushing us forward into the old cycle. This would involve no programming or potential bugs, only a temporary drop in revenue. Temporarily losing six days revenue has to be cheaper than losing up to a quarter of their customers, who have indicated that the change is a major issue for them.
Surely the new owners of WIS can look back to the revenue impact of J Conte's reign and see that ******* off a large group of coaches is a BAD THING. WIS still hasn't bounced back from the coaches who left after the 2.0 and 3.0 screw-ups. Do they really want to take a chance on that, right now, when all the coaches are watching them to see if they'll be any better than their predecessors?
3/30/2018 12:58 PM
I don't think GD is bringing in much money as it is. Take a look at Seble's recent posts. They are either in the main forum in the update thread, or in the Hoops or Hardball Dynasty forums. The revenue GD brings in doesn't justify the expense of having someone look into things here.
3/30/2018 1:06 PM
Jeff and Al, are you guys for real? 28 days? It has been five weeks. That is 35 days. No wonder sebel doesn't care what the users think...
3/30/2018 8:06 PM
Posted by jeffn48 on 3/30/2018 12:35:00 PM (view original):
If you take 1 day from recruiting, each world would then be on a 27 day cycle instead of 28 and everything would be on a different day every season and I think that would be worse for most people.
Of course, my apologies I was being a little facetious but it didn’t carry into text. I meant do it once....lol....I think the comments above about leaving before and doing it again are certainly true for me, but it took almost 5 years for me to return and I don’t want to have to invest multiple seasons again to get back to a competitive level. Fun it may be, but pouring money down a hole it is...
3/30/2018 10:29 PM
Posted by Al_Percolo on 3/30/2018 12:58:00 PM (view original):
It looks like there are two ways to do this. WIS can go to each world individually, and delete a day of the job change period for just that cycle. That would put the schedule back to normal without permanently changing the 28 day cycle. The problem would be if the code was written so that all worlds had to be adjusted at the same time, which would mean the deleted job-change day in one world could be the NC game day in another world. I don't know how hard it would be to rewrite the entire scheduling code to accommodate it, but at the very least we'd be subjected to innumerable bugs in the new code. It'd be pretty expensive, and probably not worth the potential unintended consequences.
The other option would be to pause all the worlds for an additional six days, pushing us forward into the old cycle. This would involve no programming or potential bugs, only a temporary drop in revenue. Temporarily losing six days revenue has to be cheaper than losing up to a quarter of their customers, who have indicated that the change is a major issue for them.
Surely the new owners of WIS can look back to the revenue impact of J Conte's reign and see that ******* off a large group of coaches is a BAD THING. WIS still hasn't bounced back from the coaches who left after the 2.0 and 3.0 screw-ups. Do they really want to take a chance on that, right now, when all the coaches are watching them to see if they'll be any better than their predecessors?
I agree that the temp stop is the easiest fix. But, I would possibly go,crazy from no WIS...lol
3/30/2018 10:31 PM
◂ Prev 12
Importance of day of the week consistency Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.