It's early yet, but... Topic

Posted by combalt on 4/1/2018 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 4/1/2018 2:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by donaldjl on 4/1/2018 10:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/1/2018 9:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 4/1/2018 2:07:00 AM (view original):
Does this include other sports or just baseball? Cuz I’d nominate Tyronn Lue and Mike Tomlin.
Lue I can definitely see, but I don't know how you put Tomlin anywhere near that list. He's coached for 11 years in a league with general fiscal parity and never had a losing season. I'm not sure I'd call him one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL, but I'm not sure I wouldn't either.
From a Steeler fan perspective, Tomlin has moments that leave me shaking my head. For the most part though, he's done his job well and I have never hoped he'd be replaced.
I still feel that they won on superstar talent alone, in spite of the coach. The locker room has become a cancer which resulted in them underperforming, in the regular season and playoffs. So maybe he was good when he was first hired, back when I didn’t give two ***** about football, but that’s what I’ve noticed to last 3-4 years.
There have been 100 coaches who have coached 100+ games in NFL history ... only 10 of them have a better career winning percentage than Mike Tomlin.
Mike Tomlin has a better career winning percentage than all of the following coaches:

Bill Cowher
Bud Grant+
Joe Gibbs+
Marty Schottenheimer
Bill Walsh+
Tom Landry+
Andy Reid
Sean Payton
Mike Holmgren
John Harbaugh
Pete Carroll
Hank Stram+
Don Coryell
Bill Parcells+
Chuck Noll+

It is really hard to see how you could call a coach with that kind of record 'one of the worst coaches'

He may not be a particularly good 'in game' coach (and some of his in game decisions are often head scratching) sure seems like he's doing something else right though.

BTW if you up the number of games coached there are 59 coaches who coached more than 150 games, only 6 of them have a better winning percentage than Tomlin 5 of them are HOF coaches and the 6th is Belichick
Well did they win cuz of him? Or in spite of him? Cuz Jim Caldwell was the first Lions HC to have a winning pct over .500 in god knows how long, but he’s still a **** coach who was never prepared and always banked on Matt Stafford or Teryl Austin to bail him out
4/2/2018 1:22 AM
Does this include other sports or just baseball? Cuz I’d nominate Tyronn Lue and Mike Tomlin.
Lue I can definitely see, but I don't know how you put Tomlin anywhere near that list. He's coached for 11 years in a league with general fiscal parity and never had a losing season. I'm not sure I'd call him one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL, but I'm not sure I wouldn't either.
From a Steeler fan perspective, Tomlin has moments that leave me shaking my head. For the most part though, he's done his job well and I have never hoped he'd be replaced.
I still feel that they won on superstar talent alone, in spite of the coach. The locker room has become a cancer which resulted in them underperforming, in the regular season and playoffs. So maybe he was good when he was first hired, back when I didn’t give two ***** about football, but that’s what I’ve noticed to last 3-4 years.
locker room cancer

tell me more
4/2/2018 4:25 AM
Posted by The Taint on 4/1/2018 7:00:00 PM (view original):
The Mariners look legit.
they look 500, they don look zurencik

maybe that's what you mean

there is food on the table

there is no one to keep the dogs off

4/2/2018 4:37 AM
21 pitchers in 3 games? Ist use of a non-pitcher to pitch in the first 3 games since 1924

LaRussa on steroids
4/2/2018 6:39 AM
Posted by d_rock97 on 4/2/2018 1:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by combalt on 4/1/2018 2:37:00 PM (view original):
There have been 100 coaches who have coached 100+ games in NFL history ... only 10 of them have a better career winning percentage than Mike Tomlin.
Mike Tomlin has a better career winning percentage than all of the following coaches:

Bill Cowher
Bud Grant+
Joe Gibbs+
Marty Schottenheimer
Bill Walsh+
Tom Landry+
Andy Reid
Sean Payton
Mike Holmgren
John Harbaugh
Pete Carroll
Hank Stram+
Don Coryell
Bill Parcells+
Chuck Noll+

It is really hard to see how you could call a coach with that kind of record 'one of the worst coaches'

He may not be a particularly good 'in game' coach (and some of his in game decisions are often head scratching) sure seems like he's doing something else right though.

BTW if you up the number of games coached there are 59 coaches who coached more than 150 games, only 6 of them have a better winning percentage than Tomlin 5 of them are HOF coaches and the 6th is Belichick
Well did they win cuz of him? Or in spite of him? Cuz Jim Caldwell was the first Lions HC to have a winning pct over .500 in god knows how long, but he’s still a **** coach who was never prepared and always banked on Matt Stafford or Teryl Austin to bail him out
I'm not convinced it's possible for an NFL team to win in spite of a coach. We're not talking about baseball here - the coaches have a big role in personnel decisions and player development. He ultimately determines what the playbook looks like. Maybe for the first 2 or 3 seasons you could ride the coattails of your predecessor if you didn't try to change the offensive or defensive systems very much. Mike Tomlin has been in Pittsburgh for 11 seasons. Big Ben is the only remaining remnant of the prior administration. Tomlin's not riding anybody's coattails now. The aspects of the game at which he's most successful may not be related to offensive play-calling, but that doesn't mean he isn't doing positive things for the team.
4/3/2018 1:20 AM
◂ Prev 12
It's early yet, but... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.