Branch Rickey's scouting reports Topic

One of many clues I missed. Here's one for you -- though a terrible player, Sparky Anderson does hold one MLB record (as a player). What is it?.
4/4/2018 1:05 AM
I know he played a lot in his one and only season, so I'm going to guess most something or other by a player who played only one season? Games, at bats, strikeouts?
4/4/2018 1:09 AM
Wow. Impressive, Mr. Stengel. Most plate appearances (527) for a player who played only one season. Very cool.
4/4/2018 1:19 AM
I lived across the river in Windsor when Sparky was managing the Tigers. Saw a lot of him on TV, heard all the stories. He was quite a character. He was not a fan of sabermetrics, however. He once described Bill James as "a little fat guy with a beard who knows nothing about nothing."

James responded, "Actually, I’m seven inches taller than Sparky is, but what the heck, three out of four ain’t bad, and it sure beats being described as 'the guru of baseball statistics.'"
4/4/2018 1:24 AM
Hahahaha. Bill James didn't think much of Sparky either. One of my favorite lines was when James and Sparky were arguing about Tiger first baseman Enos Cabell and James said, "Sparky is so focused on all that attitude stuff that he looks at an Enos Cabell and he doesn’t even see that the man can’t play baseball. [He] can’t play first, can’t play third, can’t hit, can’t run and can’t throw. So who cares what his attitude is?"
4/4/2018 1:55 AM
◂ Prev 12
Branch Rickey's scouting reports Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.