Dual Era Double Progressive Partial-Keeper League Topic

Posted by all3 on 4/9/2018 4:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cjok1051 on 4/9/2018 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Just the simple fact that this is a "keeper" league I think will better distribute the talent throughout the league. I would still have a weighted draft to some degree though.
The more I hear (here and via site-mails), the more I don't think 24 owners would go for totally random drafts.

Literally ever other way I can think of determining Draft order leaves reason for tanking on some level. Anyone got something that doesn't?
I don't want to turn this into a referendum on tanking, but I think in any progressive you have to accept there will be some amount of tanking. As long as it's close enough to rebuilding. I think we're talking team building, not in season game play or benching players. That you can handle with owners who police each other. Any league with 24 will have 5 to 10 going for it, 5 to 10 on the way up or down and 5 to 10 rebuilding. It's just the nature of it.

What I like about the cap is it keeps the top teams from having too much talent, which will trickle down and create more balance and I think you can hope more teams going for it because is capped, you'll have more teams with a chance to win.
4/16/2018 10:25 PM
Thing is, in addition to minimizing tanking as much as possible, I'm looking to create a League where it's more like 20-2-2 than 8-8-8 as far as competitiveness. I believe having a 4-season, 2-era player pool gives plenty of depth in talent to do so, and limiting every team to only 6 keepers should ensure that talent is distributed enough to make teams even. Given those parameters, a salary floor would probably do more to maximize competition than a salary cap. Maybe something like giving the worst 4 records less chance at #1 than teams 5-8 in a slightly weighted lottery would help too. Still haven't come-up with, seen, or heard anything that has sold me as THE way to go.
4/17/2018 9:59 AM
Posted by all3 on 4/17/2018 9:59:00 AM (view original):
Thing is, in addition to minimizing tanking as much as possible, I'm looking to create a League where it's more like 20-2-2 than 8-8-8 as far as competitiveness. I believe having a 4-season, 2-era player pool gives plenty of depth in talent to do so, and limiting every team to only 6 keepers should ensure that talent is distributed enough to make teams even. Given those parameters, a salary floor would probably do more to maximize competition than a salary cap. Maybe something like giving the worst 4 records less chance at #1 than teams 5-8 in a slightly weighted lottery would help too. Still haven't come-up with, seen, or heard anything that has sold me as THE way to go.
I think the additional players will help as you said. A salary floor should help further. I still think you keep draft picks somewhat traditional. Maybe just weight it slightly less where the worst record only gets 1 more ping pong ball than the 2nd worst and so on.
4/17/2018 12:59 PM
the PCL didn't have a tanking problem at all because it was basically the UPL with a cap. Everyone from all eras played from the start, so subsequent draft classes weren't exactly delicious, so nobody tried to lose.

God, I miss the UPL. If running one prog wasn't such a pain in the ***, I'd try & run another UPL variant.

I like the idea of a double era, double season prog. I especially like the idea of a cap, but the cap needs to be pretty low honestly to keep people from hoarding talent. I'd shoot for $47m. Many of my double era or double season teams that have been really good/champs would still be possible at even $50m. $47m will still allow for peaks of talent level, but it won't allow teams to hoard guys forever, which is what makes dynasties easier to maintain. "Do I cut this guy and be better this year by getting that guy, or do I keep him, not be as good this year but be better next year?" Those decisions don't exist in any current progressive. That's what the PCL did... but the PCL didn't have good draft classes. So combining the PCL with the DEPL [I renamed seapilots' league to avoid confusion since I'm in both of the dspls] or the DSPL (or both, as all3 has proposed) would introduce that.

Pretty sure this is all moot since I'm in 4 progs already, one of which I run, and the thought of another one is quite daunting. I'm not saying no, however... just not ready to say yes.
4/17/2018 4:35 PM
The UPL was my first progressive, it was awesome. Loved those pacific division battles with sly, which I usually lost.

All - just my two cents, but there's a quite a few progressives going right now. A dual double is definitely interesting but I think to generate enough interest a salary cap component could put you over the top with interest. I'm probably in either way.
4/21/2018 9:51 PM
◂ Prev 12
Dual Era Double Progressive Partial-Keeper League Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.