Promised Start Screw Up--Help! Topic

Last season with my first recruiting class, I foolishly promised two players they'd start as sophomores. One was a QB who was a bit worse than my current senior starter. I've kind of played them both. Last game the sophomore started the whole game and so far this season he's started 48% of the snaps. Anyway, after last game, his work ethic dropped 27 points to 23 and he sent an angry letter. I had planned to get him up to 60% later in the season as he was developing faster than the starter.

At LB, it's more of a problem. The guy who I promised to have start dropped 31 WE points to 21. He's tied for my 5th best LB and I've only gotten him in 30% of the snaps.

Have I just killed these two players? If they play more and get up to starter snaps will their work ethics return? Are they just busts now? Very confused about how to progress.
4/9/2018 3:52 PM
If you get them promised starts going forward, after a couple (sometimes 3) games they will send you an email saying that they are happy again and they will gain back a portion of the lost WE.

If you are DIV II or above, you can manipulate substitutions such that your promised starts always get their % of playing time to qualify for a start. You should also review what qualifies as a start in each game. Sometimes (depending on position) you can manipulate who plays at the end of the game so that you get a qualified start even without a high %.

Hope this makes sense.

nitros (James)
4/9/2018 5:09 PM
Remember, starts and percentage of playing time are two different things. Related, but discrete.
4/9/2018 7:42 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 4/9/2018 7:42:00 PM (view original):
Remember, starts and percentage of playing time are two different things. Related, but discrete.
So they want actual starts, not a number of plays?
4/9/2018 8:07 PM
Posted by cpspalding on 4/9/2018 8:07:00 PM (view original):
They want to get a certain number of plays. I believe the "start 1st half" and counting it as a start went out the window with an update. Players seem to get starts based on % of plays a game. I haven't seen it be if a player goes in the first play of a game it counts for quite a while.
4/9/2018 8:12 PM
cpspalding read the link below. It should help you with some GD facts and help you along your way.
https://www.whatifsports.com/knowledgebase/KB_Article_Details.aspx?kbid=674

This happened to me when I was new so I feel your pain. I think it takes 3 games of promised starts to have your WE improve. You'll realize this because the player will send you a letter saying thanks for keeping your promise. You must keep those promises or it will come back to bit you again! In addition your WE will increase but expect it to be around -5 or -6 from the original WE. You can slowly recover more by giving them extra playing time during the season.

Here are a few thought on playing time for your scenarios.

QB - Your SR at 85% and Sophomore the same during the first half. You want your better QB to hopefully give you a good lead before the second half. Then your Soph at 95% and SR at 85. This should get you that Start.
LB - Make him your 4th LB in the first half so he gets some playing time. Then in the second half make him your 3rd LB but adjust him to 95%. Keep playing with those number and you'll find what works for your team as you gain more experience.

All the best!

Talonino
4/9/2018 11:14 PM
Read GD Guide and Fantastic Advice . Both are threads pinned to top of GD forum . They can help anyone . But especially coaches that are new to the game !
4/10/2018 5:14 AM
Thanks for all the help everybody! I have to say the forums here are much friendlier than in some other online sim games.
4/10/2018 10:30 AM
Not exactly. A certain minimum threshold of plays is counted as a start. If all you promised was playing time, the threshold doesn't apply.
4/10/2018 1:50 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 4/10/2018 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Not exactly. A certain minimum threshold of plays is counted as a start. If all you promised was playing time, the threshold doesn't apply.
I wouid think my QB would be really close.. He's got the green starter check in 5 of 7 games.
4/10/2018 5:57 PM
Give him green check marks in the next 2-3 games, and he should get back to 80-85% of his original WE. Don't doddle. Make him know he is loved.
4/10/2018 6:51 PM
Just don't do it in the shower
4/10/2018 8:23 PM
Thanks, after showing both players some non-showerly love, the QB is at -5 WE and the LB is at -9. That's much better.
4/13/2018 1:38 PM
Promised Start Screw Up--Help! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.