Big Board Guessing Game Topic

I don't really see too many threads about the Big Board and what influences that position/number projection. I'm curious to see how good others are determining where a player will land on the big board based upon ratings and class.

I have a few guys on the big board right now so take a guess at what they're currently listed at. The numbers are 9, 59, 65, 70, 75 and they're all "bigs".

Hopefully it's not too difficult to do 5 players at once but give it a shot. Mostly just for fun but maybe we learn something.

Players
4/10/2018 12:17 PM (edited)
pretty darn good, five NBA quality bigs!
4/10/2018 12:33 PM
Flaherty - 9
Baxter - 59
Numbers - 65
Gibbons - 70
Wheeler - 75

Tough call. 59-75 really doesn’t matter, of course the big question is who is the lottery pick. The best bet is Flaherty, I think. He has the best scoring combo, which fake NBA teams value highly, and the rebounding/defense block is all 90+ elite. Fake NBA teams value athleticism a bit less than human HD coaches do. But 79 is pretty low for the lottery, so it is not a sure thing by any means. The others seem like longer stretches, but Numbers or Gibbons wouldn’t totally shock me.

Depending on where they are in the season, and how they grow, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gibbons jump up into the first round, or even lottery, especially if his LP/per combo grows significantly this year. But I’d be mildly surprised if he’s currently the lottery pick.
4/10/2018 1:08 PM
Gibbons is going to be likely staying moving in to on the fence during the season, so I put him at 50. Numbers is on the fence, probably staying there or maybe going to likely going if he gets his rebs higher...

The others all have flaws, tough to see what the NBA wants but I would go with higher ath-lp first so Baxter is the highest.

Honestly, it's a good thread. It will make me learn something.
4/10/2018 1:28 PM
It is not so uncommon to see lottery picks with low-ish (by our standards) athleticism, which is the only real knock on Flaherty. Hard for me to see Baxter as a lottery pick with his rebounding that low. If he had SF perimeter skills, maybe. But it would be pretty surprising to me, as it stands.
4/10/2018 2:39 PM
No one else wants to play? Sad.
4/11/2018 9:17 PM
Who's your apparel sponsor?
4/11/2018 10:42 PM
I guess we need to complain about EEs to get people to post around here.

People complain about forums being toxic but those are the threads that get the most action. Kinda funny.
4/12/2018 8:51 AM
1. Flaherty- The next Christian Laetner is the top pick. Loved him in college. Terrible pro. High pick.
2. Baxter
3. Gibbons
4. Numbers
5. Wheeler
4/12/2018 9:42 PM
Flaherty
Baxter
Wheeler
Gibbons
Numbers

They're all so close in so many ratings. It would be nice to see their stat lines, assuming stats make a difference.
4/13/2018 3:01 AM
Some good guesses here but looks like everyone was way off on Baxter. He was actually last on the list.

Flaherty - 9
Gibbons - 59
Numbers - 65
Wheeler - 70
Baxter - 75

And actually Baxter has dropped in the past two days and is now sitting at #83.

I think Baxter and Wheeler being so close together on the big board does seem to indicate that it values LP about as much as it values Rebounding for bigs.

Then you got Numbers who is about 20 spots higher than Baxter with slightly less ath, speed, blk and LP but slightly more rebounding, BH but a big difference in PER.

Interesting stuff.
4/13/2018 11:02 AM (edited)
Posted by mlitney on 4/13/2018 3:01:00 AM (view original):
Flaherty
Baxter
Wheeler
Gibbons
Numbers

They're all so close in so many ratings. It would be nice to see their stat lines, assuming stats make a difference.
Haven't had any reason, yet, to put much thought into EE's.
But the stats question definitely interests me.
Do the stats make a difference?!?
Maybe I should know, but I don't.
Couldn't put a draft position on the 5, but I could rank the order I think they should go.
A- Wheeler
B- Gibbons
C- Baxter
D- Numbers
E- Flaherty
Really don't see how Flaherty at 79/50 has any chance of being drafted higher than the other guys except maybe Numbers.
I need an explanation of how he should go higher.
4/14/2018 4:08 AM (edited)
No, stats do not factor into big board rankings. From the FAQ

Q: How do underclassmen decide whether to enter the NBA draft?
A: All players are ranked based on ratings, national awards (e.g. All-American team), team success, division, and prestige. Underclassmen then make their decision based on where they project combined with their current class. So a sophomore would require a higher projection than a junior in order for them to leave for the draft.
4/14/2018 7:17 AM
Big Board Guessing Game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.