Short Pass Defense vs. Medium or Long Pass Defense Topic

Thanks for the responses on my post regarding Short Pass vs. Medium Pass game plans (https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=508186). It seems as though there's a general consensus that most coaches rely upon the medium pass in a pro set formation. If that's the case, which is the best defensive coverage setting: short, medium, or long? Again, looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks!
4/10/2018 1:11 PM
I think the answer to this depends on the defensive formation and the quality of the personnel. I rarely play Long (allows too many completions underneath). I play mostly medium...but I'll play short if the WRs are not getting looks.

As I understand it..this setting really impacts how "deep" the Safeties are playing.
4/10/2018 6:06 PM
Also, don't expect people to give away all of their personal secrets.
4/10/2018 6:34 PM
And...this is the most important defensive question currently in the game.

I will say that Pete posted the best overview of how to approach this issue and certainly it greatly influenced my approach to this issue. His main point is that you have to view the defense as if you were looking at it from very high. This lets you visualize where your players begin (pre-snap) and where they move based on what you think your opponent will be doing.

I suppose I could write several paragraphs on this one issue, but ultimately the formula is primary defensive unit vs. WR/TE/RB modified by next closest defensive group. Remember, all pass defense is zone so you have to look at your CB/S/LB as groups, not individual players.

nitros
4/11/2018 1:11 PM
Short Pass Defense vs. Medium or Long Pass Defense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.