Recruiting CB vs DL Topic

I run the 3-4 because I am under the impression that it is harder to find good DL than LB. Is this considered to generally true?

I don't find myself getting burnt by deep passes running the 3-4 as much as I am getting burnt by long runs.

If I switch to running Nickel, then I add a DL, which I assume can help me with my run defense and I add another CB, all of which which is at the expense of two LB. Switching to the 4-3, adds one DL at the expense of one LB.

My top tackler is one of my ILB, followed by one of my CB and then one of my SAF. The only DL in my top five tacklers is one of my DE and he is fourth on the team. My DT ranks 8th in tackles.

Rambling here, so back to my question: is it harder, generally, to find good DL or LB?
4/12/2018 7:04 AM
I run the 3-4 and generally the stud DL will cost more than a stud LB. HOWEVER, many coaches have moved to the 3-4, which puts more recruiting pressure on the LB pool. So....IMO, its pretty tough to fill a roster with STUD LBs....you can find plenty of decent ones...but those guys become critical in the 3-4 (and gnerally undervalued across all defensive sets). So....It becomes a bit of a wash...not quite as clear cut as it might have been a few years ago.
4/12/2018 8:04 AM
Since you may run 3-4 , if you do you will give lb's more playing time. More starters brings more backups. I go for best lb's I can find. But if I dont find him special, I am happy with just a nitch under the best and growing them which is why I mentioned the extra playing time .
The dilemna between 3-4 or Nickel or 4-3(which also uses the 4 DL) is an old one. Personally I don't find it harder or easier to recruit for one than the other.
As Harris said, there are probably more LB's available.
But there is also(IMO) more people using the 3-4 than the 4-3 so more demand for the LB's.
4/12/2018 9:16 AM
Thanks for all the input...my next season is going to be a big rebuild year due to some recruiting issues last season and the amount of FR that will be starting next season. I guess next season would be a good time to make a change formation-wise?
4/12/2018 10:30 AM
I've found it easier to recruit DL than any other position. Which is strange since when I last played, DL were so hard to get since everyone was trying to stop overpowered running games.

I'm thinking of switching to the 5-2 now lol
4/12/2018 11:00 AM
I think one of the advantages of 3-4 is that you can use it exclusively. Because of that, you can recruit a variety of different types of LB's. And, in turn, the recruiting competition for LB's is very mixed. For example, a coach may value fast/agile LB's leaving the high STR guys untouched, whereas another coach may be after the big strong LB's. So, it's different than recruiting for say DL's where everyone values STR and TAK
4/13/2018 1:43 PM
Recruiting CB vs DL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.