Why isn't this pitcher much better??? Topic

With these kinds of questions, I always go look at the defense first thing. Your pitcher isn't doing that badly or anything, but I see where you're coming from.
Your SS is below average, I'm not sure what's going on in CF and the catchers have lousy pitch calling values. All those things can conspire to submarine a pitcher's performance. Imho.
4/12/2018 2:27 PM
Take out the Tacoma and Burlington guys, they play in extreme pitcher parks.

In addition to what hypno mentioned, your guy is solid but his 5 main pitch ratings aren't quite elite. It seems to me that mediocre VEL and GB/FB ratings have more of an impact when this is the case.

If you shore up your defense I would think he should avg below a 4 ERA
4/12/2018 2:49 PM
I agree with hypnotoad. You have a 63 range in CF and a 64/65 range/glove at 2B not to mention both corner OF's are 1B.
4/12/2018 2:53 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 4/12/2018 2:53:00 PM (view original):
I agree with hypnotoad. You have a 63 range in CF and a 64/65 range/glove at 2B not to mention both corner OF's are 1B.
Not meaning to pile on, but your fielders just aren't getting to any batted balls.

4/12/2018 3:26 PM
1. I am currently resting guys and some players are currently playing out of position. My 2B is an 81/81
2. I am listed in the top high of my league in defense
3. I have had Cy Young award winners in previous season, so.....................

For some reason, this pitcher is just underperforming and I cannot figure out why
4/12/2018 7:29 PM
Your SS has 14 minus plays and 0 plus plays with a .955 fielding percentage. Your main CF has a range of 63. If you think that is ok and doesn't hurt your pitchers, then good luck.
4/12/2018 9:39 PM
To be fair, he's 84-61. It looks like you chose offense over defense, which seems to be working. You will just have to accept the fact that your pitchers will underperform. I would play Pineda at SS too with those offensive ratings. Dudes a stud.
4/13/2018 10:27 AM
No disagreement here - the fun part of the game are the choices and their benefits & consequences.
4/13/2018 11:02 AM
But my other pitchers don’t suffer, I have had several Cy You g winners and candidates throughout the seasons. This guy should have an ERA in the high 3’s at and be consistent from season to season. The only reason Bennett’s ERA is as low as it is this season is because I have started using him in relief.

My pitching is usually in the top 3 every season. The only reason it hasn’t been as good this season is because I turned over 40% of my roster this season.

My qualms with Bennett are not about this season, but with his entire career. He is very up and down and should be much more consistent based on his ratings and in comparison with other pitchers I have had on my roster.

I do do believe in defense but will take some offense over defense most of the time. But this issue has not affected my pitching staff, only Bennett.
4/13/2018 12:28 PM
I'm not sure what makes you believe Bennett should be consistent. He doesn't have elite pitches, he has good but not elite command, doesn't have the ability to strikeout his way out of jams or get double plays reliably, and has a huge platoon split. His performance is more likely than most starters to be all over the map.
4/13/2018 12:53 PM
Home runs for one.. too many, and average pitches.

Just look at the one really good season he did have and look at the slg%. Elite pitchers will generally have a slg well below .400. OAV way too high for elite.. bad defense mostly.

Also saw your catchers .. PC not good. That will effect some things as well.
4/15/2018 8:11 PM (edited)
Why isn't this pitcher much better??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.