American/National Combo Spectacular YR-5 FULL Topic

NEXT SEASON POTENTIAL RULE ADDITION. After season 5, I'm thinking of trying something new to freshen this up a bit. The addition of "Team Captains", where you must spend over 7 million for one player. That one player must come from one of your chosen franchises, but outside of the decade! So for example, if you choose 80's Tigers Hitters and 50's Cubs pitchers, your team captain could be Al Kaline from the 60's where his salary was over 7-million, but still a Tiger hitter.
Thoughts? Too confusing? Fun extra twist?
I think it would be fun to have a Team Captain. It might not make a big deal for some, but I generally never take a 7-mil player in a low cap. It would force owners to really balance the rest of their team and eliminate choosing as many 200-300 PA guys with great stats. You can still do that, but the salary usage would be more of a challenge during the draft. Or if you went with a high priced pitcher as captain, it would be harder to run a 6-7 starting rotation filled with 3-4 inning guys unless you draft unbalanced and sacrifice your hitting.
This is NOT for this season, but possibly for next.
4/22/2018 8:15 AM
I think with 10 years periods for pitching and hitting you can select a 7 million dollar guy.Secondly,Iwould discourage owners from filling the roster with extremely low priced players by saying the minimum salary is say $700,000 and you can only hab ve 2 players at thta salary.Alos,if you allow players from outside the decade,you invite players from selecting deadball pitchers tha have huge innings and low HR's and this also penalizes newer franchises that entered MLB since 1961.The Red Sox,Yanks,Pirates would have many more players to choose from than the Blue jays,Astros and Angels.Really,I think th ebest thing to do is have a MINIMUM salary to discourage loading up on minimus salary guys in order to have more higher salaried players.
4/22/2018 9:30 AM
I see what you're saying Jeff. And team captain's would still need to be within the 1940-current rules. Yes, no deadball era guys. Even in the 40's there's some deadball rotations owners are taking advantage of. But our champions have never been from 40's pitching yet.
And yes, I think your recommendation that the captain should be within your 10-year window is a good suggestion.
4/22/2018 3:16 PM (edited)
I didn't have any $7M+ salary players last season and I don't plan to use any this season. I suppose if I had to use one I could make it work, but the $70M cap with below average AAA really limits your options. I'd prefer not mandating any individual player salaries, but I'd be fine with allowing a wild card player from a different decade.
4/22/2018 7:57 PM
I'm with Soup re: the Team Captain idea...we already work w/ a $70 million cap which challenges us to be creative in our team-building within the framework of a franchise/decade...if I was going to suggest any tweaking of your current theme, it would be to allow any consecutive 10-year time span; i.e 1983-92 Indians batters combined with 1967-1976 Mets pitchers...vm
4/22/2018 11:17 PM
0Soup and Van, I love making the draft tricky. The real tricky was when I had this league at 60-mil! But the problem was I couldn't get anyone to sign up. It still seems everyone loves the GIGANTIC 100mil+ themes where there's no lineup change all season and luck wins the day.
But I hear you both. I'm getting pullback from everyone so far, so I'll probably just keep it the same. I thought a change would be fun and didn't want to see this theme get old for people.
And as I mentioned, I generally don't run with any 7+mil guys either. Hence why I thought it would make things even more challenging. But for some, that wouldn't be a challenge at all because they already do this.
4/23/2018 7:09 AM
FYI, I'll be at a tradeshow this week for my work. So if folks enter, please be patient. I'll get to all posts when I can. And if others would also be so kind as to bumping this occasionally. Thanks all!
4/23/2018 7:10 AM
polymerguy we are in teams TBD

4/23/2018 12:41 PM
Ok, just let me know. I've reserved your spot.
4/23/2018 3:30 PM
Bump
4/25/2018 1:18 AM
Second team - 1990's Part Two, 1990's Oakland A's hitters, 1990's Houston Astros pitchers. Astros, as you are all aware, were an NL franchise throughout the 1990s.
4/25/2018 3:23 AM
Got ya Snedden.
4/25/2018 9:54 PM
get up there.
4/26/2018 8:16 PM
1990s Angels hitters 2010s Nationals pitchers
4/26/2018 10:25 PM
Topps!
4/27/2018 5:20 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
American/National Combo Spectacular YR-5 FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.