my hardest challenge Topic

the thing i can't figure out

worked at it can't come to a conclusion have not been able to make my ideas stick

how to stop a team that passes two downs of three and runs it outside one down of three
4/13/2018 5:18 PM
That is basically 80% of the offenses right now. Pro-Set Med Pass 2/3 and RB outside run 1/3.

nitros
4/13/2018 6:08 PM
Recruit great LBs and DLs, and play pass D every down. I play the 4-3, and on pass D I send all my LBs out on coverage. If they run, it seems like there's about a 10% chance their RB will fumble.
4/13/2018 6:19 PM
I love the 4-3 but have noticed that the 3-4 is the way to go. It defends rbs catching passes and flexible for pass or run. I'm trying to learn it myself because a lot of people can shut you down with it
4/14/2018 2:02 AM
Unless you go up against a good Shotgun team. Then you are short on db's with 4 WR + TE out there. What one can do another can stop or vice versa.
With 2 equal teams it is often the choices they make that determines the outcome.
Which formation matchups?. Throw a lot short, med, long ?... And to who, primarily to RB and or TE(need lb's playing pass)? To WR's ?(better have good and plenty db's).
Just saying......(PS:in the middle of converting 2 of my teams to shotgun :)
Adding to this where matchups and choices can hugely affect the outcome vs equal opponents: IMO, many an NC is won or lost depending on the teams that make it through to yours in the playoffs. Im not talking about the AI or inferior teams. But to the good ones that usually make the final 8 or final 4. If you are lucky you have good matchups with your O vs his D and vice versa. This not only includes the formations but the choices you can make . Especially in Final 4 it's sort of like the end game in chess . Who can outfox the other ? Do you do what he expects because that is your strength ? Or , do you do what he may not expect ?(which he "may" expect because "he" is figuring you will not do the obvious :).
4/14/2018 10:20 AM (edited)
Not a direct answer to the OP, but some comments on how things seem to work in general:

My base of proof is pretty small, but I've found my 3-4 is much more effective when I can mix in some Nickel, but of course there are teams that are pure 3-4 and are great and there are a couple that are pure nickel and are great. Same vein, I've found my Pro is much better if I can mix in some Trips. Have to decide how much time you want to put into formations, of course. Can't really do it halfway. And multiple formations can make recruiting tougher. Combining 3-4 with Nickel means you need both LB and DL in adequate numbers, but it's possible one group or the other won't get utilized enough during the season if scores dictate one or the other D.

To the mojolad question, when I go against teams that pass a lot to RB/TE I've found my Nickel D is more effective than my 3-4. I don't know if it's the extra DB or if I just have a better design in my nickel package.

Another way to affect how you do against certain O's or D's is deciding who you want to redshirt. If your primary D is 3-4 does it help to RS a DL? I know of at least two teams that seem to RS only O players and focus on trying to outscore the other guy, not worrying as much about D. Lots of interesting options that can affect how you play this game. I mostly only RS the highest potential, which is logical, but I'm thinking of changing to only D or only O to see if it makes a difference.
4/15/2018 10:22 AM
In a 3-4 I almost always RS a DL. That is my plan. If I goof or HAVE to RS another defensive player I will..but my view is that since I only have 3 DL on the field...I want them to be the best ones in the league....so I put a RS on one every season.
4/18/2018 12:07 PM
my hardest challenge Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.