Six Random Pages and $82m to spend (full, but ..) Topic

For years I've run my Twelve Random Pages theme, aka the Baker's Dozen, with each owner having to build a roster from pages randomly generated on www.baseball-reference.com. It's a challenge because it gets people outside their comfort zones, having to use players they've never considered before instead of old reliables, and having to resort to entirely different roster strategies because of the talent pool they're assigned.

However, last year, the random feature at baseball-reference started spitting out predominantly box scores after an upgrade, and we found that building a roster from close to a dozen box scores was just too much information. I have been playing around with a fix, and here it is: the new version of the league will generate SIX random pages for each owner, who will then choose four players from each "page" for their squad, plus a wild card 25th man of their own choosing from the entire universe of eligible players.

The most common result of the random page generator now are the box scores that go back to 1913, which come up around 70% of the time. When you get a box score, you'll be obliged to take any four players who played in that game - no twisting.

The rest of the time, you could get any sort of result: players from an all-star game, pitching leaders from a season or a franchise, leaders in any statistical category, players from a certain college, etc. Most of these are pretty self-explanatory: you take four players listed on the page. If you get a player page, you have to roster that player, and any three of his teammates from the season you choose for him. If you draw a really odd page, I'll make the ground rules for you as it comes up.

One aspect of the league is that sometimes your page will include players who didn't have a season eligible for the SIM: for example, cup-of-coffee players who happened to play in the game you're assigned, or even Negro League Hall of Famers. I love that the league includes guys like this, but last time around my rules for this were too liberal, so that the more such players you could find to use, the better your chances. "Non-sim players" will still be eligible this go-around, but if you decide to use them you will roster a 200k player as a place-holder, and then the AAA player who will replace them for the season is whoever I deem to be the most similar substitute who has a sim season. [Generally, that will be a way-below-average AAA player with fewer than 100 PA or 40 IP, but not if you draw a Negro League HoF player.]

Are you confused? Here's a sample draw:

1. Tigers @ Yankees 8/1/1943 2nd game of doubleheader
2. Royals @ Devil Rays 8/9/2003
3. Marlins @ Diamondbacks 8/22/2012 1st game of doubleheader
4. 2000 Red Sox batting gamelog - page actually lists the opposing starting pitchers vs. the Red Sox for every game that season, so you would choose four of those pitchers
5. Red Sox @ Rangers 6/8/1973
6. OF Charlie Manuel 1969-75

I prefer smaller salary caps for this league, so that the teams with the better random draws don't have a huge advantage. For this season, I thought I would make the cap equal to the highest-salaried team in my random draw ... that was the 1943 Yankees, with a team total salary of almost $82 million. [Be glad I didn't use the 1973 Rangers ... they barely had $50 million in SIM payroll.] So, $82 million it is.

Other rules:

No waiver wire or trading. Injuries off.
No DH.
No whining about your draw! If you don't draw good pitchers, put together an awesome lineup, and try to win the way the Red Sox used to :)
Your home stadium must be the venue from one of your box scores.

Any more questions? Feel free to ask here. And please sign up. Building a team this way is a lot of fun, in a hair-pulling sort of way sometimes, but it should be easier with the $82m.

Oh, and whoever is the first to sign up can also generate six random pages for my team. Be kind to me!

Owner list: eman7400, Belsea, Rattlers, ybjsports, Pzzaman001, Cicero, razorclams, specsman, sevenfifty5, kentol, jfranco77, newarkwilder, vilefileman, jkorn, willclark, reddtrain, burningcouch, redcped, mars2010, gwhouse, finn2030, polymerguy, midknight
5/5/2018 4:25 PM (edited)
I will come back
4/20/2018 10:49 PM
Tdoak here is your random pages
1 Giants @ Phillies June 6 1964
2 Roger Nelson 67-76
3 Reds @ Giants September 18 1924
4 Expos@ Giants May 22 1996
5 Padres @ Cardinals September 8 1996
6 Jim Riggleman Manager page
4/20/2018 10:58 PM
eman7400: Welcome back! Here are your half dozen pages:

1. Mariners @ Red Sox, 5/13/1988
2. 1903 St Louis Browns lineups & defense
3. Giants @ Braves, 7/23/1932
4. Indians @ Tigers, 6/9/2008
5. A's @ Angels, 4/25/2017
6. Rays @ Yankees, 4/5/2008

4/20/2018 10:59 PM
eman: Thanks for my club. The Reds and Giants played a doubleheader on 9/18/24, so just tell me which game to use, 1st or 2nd. But don't look! It's supposed to be random!
4/20/2018 11:18 PM
It is the First game I also have a Double hitter with Giants and Braves
4/20/2018 11:27 PM
Oops :) Use Game 2 of your doubleheader
4/20/2018 11:46 PM
I am so back in! This has been my favorite theme. I love the torture of trying to make a roster from random pages with a lower cap. This season's rule changes are also very well thought out in keeping with the theme's spirit. My next couple weeks are extremely busy, but go ahead and spin that wheel. (Sleep is overrated.)

4/21/2018 7:20 AM
Belsea: My next couple of weeks are extremely busy, too. But this league usually takes a little while to fill. Here are the pieces of your puzzle:

1. White Sox @ Yankees 7/14/1978
2. Mariners @ Twins 4/14/1978
3. Tigers @ Yankees 6/18/1966
4. Twins @ A's 7/6/1970
5. P Don Collins 1977-80
6. * P Lou Bevil 1942

* Lou Bevil was a 19-year-old September call up who pitched in four games for the Senators ... and walked 11 batters. Take a 200k proxy for him, and then choose 1940 George Barnicle as your AAA replacement, whom you shall re-name so that Lou gets his big chance.

** It just occurred to me that if you choose to use other players who didn't have SIM-eligible seasons ... for example, 1978 Damaso Garcia played SS for the Yankees in game #1 above ... I now have to choose replacements for them, too. Obviously, I can't do that until your roster is set. So, everyone will be obliged to post their roster here once they are finished, and I will assign AAA stand-ins as necessary when I approve the rosters. I will give an example below, with my own team [subject to change].
4/21/2018 8:18 AM
Posted by eman7400 on 4/20/2018 10:58:00 PM (view original):
Tdoak here is your random pages
1 Giants @ Phillies June 6 1964
2 Roger Nelson 67-76
3 Reds @ Giants September 18 1924
4 Expos@ Giants May 22 1996
5 Padres @ Cardinals September 8 1996
6 Jim Riggleman Manager page
So here is an example of posting a roster:

1. 3B Dick Allen, CF Willie Mays, P Jack Sanford, P Ed Roebuck
2. 1972 Roger Nelson, P Steve Busby, P Ted Abernathy, SS Freddie Patek
3. 2B Hughie Critz, C Ivey Wingo, P Dolf Luque, P Mule Watson
4. C Darrin Fletcher, LF Barry Bonds, P Pedro Martinez, P Jeff Juden
5. 1B Wally Joyner, P Trevor Hoffman, PH Willie McGee, 2B Luis Alicea
6. Jim Riggleman's 1998 Cubs: P Kerry Wood, OF Sammy Sosa, *OF Terrell Lowery, *P Felix Heredia
Wild Card. *1B Sadaharu Oh :)

So, a note on the Wild Card: It can be anyone you want, but for that, you can't just roster a 200k player and replace him with Mr. Oh [or Josh Gibson]. If you want to use a non-sim Wild Card, site mail me regarding who you'd like to use as his AAA replacement, and then you can roster a player of equal value to send down at the start of the season. For example, I searched for left-handed hitting 1B with 35+ HR and a .400 OBP, and came up with guys from Lou Gehrig and Jason Giambi to Ted Kluszewski, Jim Thome or Mo Vaughn.
4/21/2018 8:44 AM (edited)
In again
4/21/2018 3:01 PM
Rattlers: Nice to see the old gang getting back together. (I need to site mail everyone from last time, I will go there later.) In the meantime, here are six pages to torment you with their possibilities:

1. 1B Hal Breeden 1971-75
2. P Mike Trujillo 1985-89
3. Orioles @ Rays 9/2/2011
4. 1991 San Francisco Giants roster [anyone who played for them that year, including the non-sim players]
5. P Joey Devine 2005-11 [a cookie for you!]
6. Cardinals @ Padres 8/11/1995 first game of doubleheader

Only two box scores there; at least you won't have to worry about finding some low-salary players to fill out your roster. Hope you find enough big guys! I did not remember the Cardinals got that bad in '95 :(
4/21/2018 6:00 PM
^
4/22/2018 9:57 PM
It's been too long since I built a low cap team. I'm in.
4/23/2018 2:07 PM
I'll be in. Thanks!
4/23/2018 3:28 PM
1|2|3...10 Next ▸
Six Random Pages and $82m to spend (full, but ..) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.