Does WIS really care? Topic

3) Of course it matters what people want. Everyone is entitled to their preferences, but no one is entitled to a game that caters to them.

4) Yes there is middle ground. But capping recruiting by division isn’t it.

5) It’s wonderful that you had fun at lower levels. It doesn’t mean the forced stratification isn’t significantly harming retention.
5/1/2018 4:48 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 4/30/2018 8:08:00 PM (view original):
I hate it but its not like anything is gonna happen either way.
Why do you hate it?
5/1/2018 4:52 PM
Posted by Benis on 5/1/2018 4:52:00 PM (view original):
Why do you hate it?
Hate is too strong of a term, I suppose. I have often run unusual roster configurations. One time I had a team with nothing but SFs, another time I had an entire roster of players with the last name of Johnson...at DIII Johnson State. Not trying to make light of the point but a recruit having some sort of position/roster depth preference is rather realistic but, IMHO, not very fun. I don't think position matters a damn. I have played SGs at PF and a DIII C, who had amazing PER, at SG..and he led my team in 3pts that season. Another set of preferences, IMHO, lessens roster variation, and I think that is very bad for the game. Let me run my 12 SF lineup, you can run a four guard set or whatever you want to do and we can all have fun and be happy.
5/1/2018 9:33 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/1/2018 9:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 5/1/2018 4:52:00 PM (view original):
Why do you hate it?
Hate is too strong of a term, I suppose. I have often run unusual roster configurations. One time I had a team with nothing but SFs, another time I had an entire roster of players with the last name of Johnson...at DIII Johnson State. Not trying to make light of the point but a recruit having some sort of position/roster depth preference is rather realistic but, IMHO, not very fun. I don't think position matters a damn. I have played SGs at PF and a DIII C, who had amazing PER, at SG..and he led my team in 3pts that season. Another set of preferences, IMHO, lessens roster variation, and I think that is very bad for the game. Let me run my 12 SF lineup, you can run a four guard set or whatever you want to do and we can all have fun and be happy.
Well you could do that in my suggestion. I don't think it should be dictated by listed position. You can tell your PF that you will start him - period. That could be at any of the 5 positions, it doesn't matter.

The point would be that you couldn't always promise 5 new FR starts (regardless of listed or played position) because your seniors would be like "wtf guy??".

breaking promises would cause WE drop and transfers but also decrease loyalty. With a poor loyalty your promises to new recruits won't be worth much because they know youre a lying bastard.
5/1/2018 9:56 PM
Posted by wronoj on 5/1/2018 4:35:00 PM (view original):
3) it does matter what other users want out of the game... if the whole point is user retention and growth, it matters what everyone wants to spend their money on.
4) Isn't there middle ground? Can't new owners have a more enjoyable experience, and learn more quickly, with veteran owners around? I learned from vets, and was able to compete pretty quickly, and enjoyed it. Probably wouldn't have stayed long if I'd had empty conferences and nobody to bounce ideas off of, etc.
5a) I came in as a UNC grad and fan, thought the only thing I cared about was getting there and building a dynasty. Didn't turn out that way. I've played extensively at each division, with mixed success everywhere, and enjoyed it. Had fun trying with the worst rebuild I could find, or trying a PR or HI team for fun, or trying to win in the ACC (at NC State, of all places). Probably had more fun in full ACC and full D3 conferences than anywhere else... playing human teams, trying to compete against the best coaches in a division, always super fun.
5b) How many people are playing for free on credits? Have to make the Elite 8 to get a $10 credit, right? So, rounding up, 8 teams each season win at least one free season? Champ wins 2-3 seasons? Let's go crazy and say they're giving away 20 seasons per season-- still not that many people playing off credits on other teams.
5c) D1 is the focus of the game for you. And plenty of other users. But it's not the focus of the game.
Thank you wronoj. I don't know if shoe is intentionally trying to miss the point, but he states the game should not cater to one person, but wants it to cater to his own likes and dislikes when there are many out there who are of an opposing opinion.
5/2/2018 9:19 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 5/1/2018 12:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 5/1/2018 1:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 4/28/2018 9:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 4/27/2018 11:50:00 PM (view original):
shoe thinks he is the marketplace. You have 20 people telling him he's wrong, but he'll tell you most of the coaches love it. Nevermind the fact that 30% of the user population left and will not be replaced.

It's great that DI is better than before, but you killed 2 other divisions to do it. Even worse, you killed off the 2 divisions that a new user needs to enjoy before ever getting to DI. Your thought process is completely backward, because you don't want to lose DI as it currently is.

Put caps on the division. It will have no effect on DI. If a DI team is worried about a lower division school stealing a player, then that DI team wasn't going to be that good anyways. Without caps, you have the same users camping out taking DI players and running off new users. Under 2.0, I made sweet 16 as a newbie within 4 seasons. It took me 2 seasons to get a strong grasp of recruiting. Under 3.0, assuming the populations were the same, I'd be lucky if make it out of the first round. In the current population scenario, a new user won't even know where to start with a seasoned vet. On my current DIII team I help new guys out and without that assistance I know they wouldn't have a clue how to be stay competitive for awhile.
Lol, poncho strikes again. You sure told me.

I don’t know how “most” users feel, and neither do you. Every lost user can be replaced, saying they won’t be replaced is dumb. Everyone knew there would be attrition. It will take some marketing and a few structural changes would help, but caps are not among them.

Make D3 free, and remove credit incentive to park. Parked vets like you are a much bigger impediment to new players being able to advance in a national tournament than the fact that they have the ability to nab higher projected players who have been passed over by higher level teams. It’s great that you help new players, keep doing that. The game has always been complex, and with a high learning curve. The game doesn’t need to be made dumber, but it would help if the learning curve didn’t require such a steep investment in both time and money.

Let paying users start at D2, and move up to low D1 after a season if they want. Forcing them to spend money and a dozen seasons with teams they have no reason to care about is easily the biggest reason the people who should like this game say “nah”. That’s the constant refrain with everyone I’ve tried to get to play the game.
-Not sure where I claimed to know what most users feel or think. Just stated that more people are against your statement than with it from what we see on the forums. The best we can do in that case is extrapolate from the data we have to work with.

-Just because you don't like caps, does not mean it would not fix a significant issue. Opening divisions up to every level is one of the worst things I've seen in this game. It absolutely ensures a new guy has no chance at success. I'm not saying dropdowns and pulldowns were any better, but the talent level of a dropdown/pulldown was significantly less impactful than the effect of a DIII school pulling DI players and all you had to do was get rid of that from the game.

-You keep talking about parked teams. Last time I checked the game was called HOOPS DYNASTY I'm pretty sure it's impossible to build a dynasty without camping out somewhere for some time. By your logic, I guess those guys camping out at the big 6 schools should just go ahead move onto another program every couple seasons.

-Parked vets are an impediment to the NT for new players? Parked vets at the lower levels keep the game from looking like a ghost town for new players. If the game was nearly as empty as it is now when i first started, I would not have stayed. Parked vets like myself help new players work towards becoming competent coaches. The point of the game is not to hand out free championships against sims at DIII. It's to learn to play the game, build a DYNASTY and become a competitive player.

-Not everyone is driven to be at DI. If that was/is your goal as well as others, that's great. Who says we don't care about our lower division programs. My lower division program is the only thing that kept me playing the game 5-6 years ago when i got a little bored. I enjoyed the conference i was in and the DYNASTY team i had built up myself. Why should everyone else be forced to DI, because that's where you want to play? In all seriousness, I could care less what the teams are, I just want to recruit and gameplan. Give me fake team names and I'd be just fine.
1) No, you said “he’ll tell you most of the coaches love it.” I’ve never said anything like that. I’ll tell you a lot of coaches like it, which is the truth. I don’t know how “most of the coaches” feel about it, and neither do you. Extrapolating from a non-randomized pool (like a forum, where people are more likely to complain than to talk about what they like) is a good way to come to a poor statistical conclusion.

2) Caps don’t “fix” the problem of new players not being competitive against veteran controlled dynasties parked in their port of entry. They don’t increase the competitive possibilities of new players; quite the opposite, as they enhance the advantage a veteran D3 team has in landing the top players available to D3 teams. Again, the problem is not that D3 teams can sign D1 projected players that higher division teams don’t really want. The problem is that new players don’t know they can. If that’s the problem you want to fix, the solution is to present the information to them. A tutorial mode would be great, but just better language in the welcome email would also help.

3) I don’t care what you think the name of the game means.

4) You can’t have it both ways. Either new players have to be able to compete, or new players have to see lots of veteran dynasties parked in their division. Pick an argument. The first one is better, if we accept the premise that D3 has to be a part of a college basketball simulation (it’s a dumb premise, but for the sake of this discussion, it’s what we have).

5) Sure, a few people are “driven” to coach Carnegie Mellon or Augustana because that’s where they went to school and it’s a neat novelty that a college basketball simulation includes them. More are driven to play the game for free by racking up credits against new users. Neither preference needs to be catered to. D1 is the focus of the game. It’s what the vast majority of people who might want to play a fantasy-based college basketball simulation are going to have in mind when they sign up. It is easily the biggest reason people who otherwise might enjoy the game will not bother. Takes too long and too much money to get there.
2.) Caps do help the issue and you directly outline it in your statement. Instead of a DIII or even DII team having a roster full of DI starters while a new guy has his DIII or DII players respectively, the team would have players appropriate for that level and new guys would have players also appropriate for that level and would be going after the same talent right from the beginning of the powerhouse coaches. Not all new coaches realize how in depth the game is or may be intimidated to ask these questions to the vets.

3.) It doesn't matter what you care I think the name of the game means. It matters what the words actually mean though. Per Miriam Webster when discussing a dynasty: "Nowadays, this sense of dynasty is often applied to a sports franchise which has a prolonged run of successful seasons." Prolonged is not a couple seasons.

4.) A cap allows new players to compete. They see the same guys from day 1 that the top schools are going after and compete from day 1 learning in the process. Under the current system, a new guy doesn't bother scouting higher divisions unless he knows to do so. Then he still has to learn how far he can reach for those players and what distances and how to use scouting money. It's way more than before where all you had to understand was dropdowns and pulldowns were significantly less of an advantage compared to pulling from 2 divisions up.

5.) This wasn't even about being driven to play at a low level school, but that is one possible scenario. It's also not about racking up credits. At DII, you are not playing newbies and racking up free credits. In a full DIII like we used to have, coaches had to compete against other top coaches. Now in the current system, you are seeing the same winners every season, because there is less competition and new guys don't know how to compete yet. Lots of coaches start the game looking for their favorite DI program, but lots of coaches also find something they like before they ever get there.
5/2/2018 9:39 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 5/2/2018 9:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wronoj on 5/1/2018 4:35:00 PM (view original):
3) it does matter what other users want out of the game... if the whole point is user retention and growth, it matters what everyone wants to spend their money on.
4) Isn't there middle ground? Can't new owners have a more enjoyable experience, and learn more quickly, with veteran owners around? I learned from vets, and was able to compete pretty quickly, and enjoyed it. Probably wouldn't have stayed long if I'd had empty conferences and nobody to bounce ideas off of, etc.
5a) I came in as a UNC grad and fan, thought the only thing I cared about was getting there and building a dynasty. Didn't turn out that way. I've played extensively at each division, with mixed success everywhere, and enjoyed it. Had fun trying with the worst rebuild I could find, or trying a PR or HI team for fun, or trying to win in the ACC (at NC State, of all places). Probably had more fun in full ACC and full D3 conferences than anywhere else... playing human teams, trying to compete against the best coaches in a division, always super fun.
5b) How many people are playing for free on credits? Have to make the Elite 8 to get a $10 credit, right? So, rounding up, 8 teams each season win at least one free season? Champ wins 2-3 seasons? Let's go crazy and say they're giving away 20 seasons per season-- still not that many people playing off credits on other teams.
5c) D1 is the focus of the game for you. And plenty of other users. But it's not the focus of the game.
Thank you wronoj. I don't know if shoe is intentionally trying to miss the point, but he states the game should not cater to one person, but wants it to cater to his own likes and dislikes when there are many out there who are of an opposing opinion.
I want the game i want. And I argue for it. So do you. There are also many of the same opinion. Most of them don’t spend a lot of time in the forum, though, because we’re happy with the game that exists, or at least have stopped crying about the game that used to exist.
5/2/2018 9:48 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 5/2/2018 9:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 5/1/2018 12:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 5/1/2018 1:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 4/28/2018 9:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 4/27/2018 11:50:00 PM (view original):
shoe thinks he is the marketplace. You have 20 people telling him he's wrong, but he'll tell you most of the coaches love it. Nevermind the fact that 30% of the user population left and will not be replaced.

It's great that DI is better than before, but you killed 2 other divisions to do it. Even worse, you killed off the 2 divisions that a new user needs to enjoy before ever getting to DI. Your thought process is completely backward, because you don't want to lose DI as it currently is.

Put caps on the division. It will have no effect on DI. If a DI team is worried about a lower division school stealing a player, then that DI team wasn't going to be that good anyways. Without caps, you have the same users camping out taking DI players and running off new users. Under 2.0, I made sweet 16 as a newbie within 4 seasons. It took me 2 seasons to get a strong grasp of recruiting. Under 3.0, assuming the populations were the same, I'd be lucky if make it out of the first round. In the current population scenario, a new user won't even know where to start with a seasoned vet. On my current DIII team I help new guys out and without that assistance I know they wouldn't have a clue how to be stay competitive for awhile.
Lol, poncho strikes again. You sure told me.

I don’t know how “most” users feel, and neither do you. Every lost user can be replaced, saying they won’t be replaced is dumb. Everyone knew there would be attrition. It will take some marketing and a few structural changes would help, but caps are not among them.

Make D3 free, and remove credit incentive to park. Parked vets like you are a much bigger impediment to new players being able to advance in a national tournament than the fact that they have the ability to nab higher projected players who have been passed over by higher level teams. It’s great that you help new players, keep doing that. The game has always been complex, and with a high learning curve. The game doesn’t need to be made dumber, but it would help if the learning curve didn’t require such a steep investment in both time and money.

Let paying users start at D2, and move up to low D1 after a season if they want. Forcing them to spend money and a dozen seasons with teams they have no reason to care about is easily the biggest reason the people who should like this game say “nah”. That’s the constant refrain with everyone I’ve tried to get to play the game.
-Not sure where I claimed to know what most users feel or think. Just stated that more people are against your statement than with it from what we see on the forums. The best we can do in that case is extrapolate from the data we have to work with.

-Just because you don't like caps, does not mean it would not fix a significant issue. Opening divisions up to every level is one of the worst things I've seen in this game. It absolutely ensures a new guy has no chance at success. I'm not saying dropdowns and pulldowns were any better, but the talent level of a dropdown/pulldown was significantly less impactful than the effect of a DIII school pulling DI players and all you had to do was get rid of that from the game.

-You keep talking about parked teams. Last time I checked the game was called HOOPS DYNASTY I'm pretty sure it's impossible to build a dynasty without camping out somewhere for some time. By your logic, I guess those guys camping out at the big 6 schools should just go ahead move onto another program every couple seasons.

-Parked vets are an impediment to the NT for new players? Parked vets at the lower levels keep the game from looking like a ghost town for new players. If the game was nearly as empty as it is now when i first started, I would not have stayed. Parked vets like myself help new players work towards becoming competent coaches. The point of the game is not to hand out free championships against sims at DIII. It's to learn to play the game, build a DYNASTY and become a competitive player.

-Not everyone is driven to be at DI. If that was/is your goal as well as others, that's great. Who says we don't care about our lower division programs. My lower division program is the only thing that kept me playing the game 5-6 years ago when i got a little bored. I enjoyed the conference i was in and the DYNASTY team i had built up myself. Why should everyone else be forced to DI, because that's where you want to play? In all seriousness, I could care less what the teams are, I just want to recruit and gameplan. Give me fake team names and I'd be just fine.
1) No, you said “he’ll tell you most of the coaches love it.” I’ve never said anything like that. I’ll tell you a lot of coaches like it, which is the truth. I don’t know how “most of the coaches” feel about it, and neither do you. Extrapolating from a non-randomized pool (like a forum, where people are more likely to complain than to talk about what they like) is a good way to come to a poor statistical conclusion.

2) Caps don’t “fix” the problem of new players not being competitive against veteran controlled dynasties parked in their port of entry. They don’t increase the competitive possibilities of new players; quite the opposite, as they enhance the advantage a veteran D3 team has in landing the top players available to D3 teams. Again, the problem is not that D3 teams can sign D1 projected players that higher division teams don’t really want. The problem is that new players don’t know they can. If that’s the problem you want to fix, the solution is to present the information to them. A tutorial mode would be great, but just better language in the welcome email would also help.

3) I don’t care what you think the name of the game means.

4) You can’t have it both ways. Either new players have to be able to compete, or new players have to see lots of veteran dynasties parked in their division. Pick an argument. The first one is better, if we accept the premise that D3 has to be a part of a college basketball simulation (it’s a dumb premise, but for the sake of this discussion, it’s what we have).

5) Sure, a few people are “driven” to coach Carnegie Mellon or Augustana because that’s where they went to school and it’s a neat novelty that a college basketball simulation includes them. More are driven to play the game for free by racking up credits against new users. Neither preference needs to be catered to. D1 is the focus of the game. It’s what the vast majority of people who might want to play a fantasy-based college basketball simulation are going to have in mind when they sign up. It is easily the biggest reason people who otherwise might enjoy the game will not bother. Takes too long and too much money to get there.
2.) Caps do help the issue and you directly outline it in your statement. Instead of a DIII or even DII team having a roster full of DI starters while a new guy has his DIII or DII players respectively, the team would have players appropriate for that level and new guys would have players also appropriate for that level and would be going after the same talent right from the beginning of the powerhouse coaches. Not all new coaches realize how in depth the game is or may be intimidated to ask these questions to the vets.

3.) It doesn't matter what you care I think the name of the game means. It matters what the words actually mean though. Per Miriam Webster when discussing a dynasty: "Nowadays, this sense of dynasty is often applied to a sports franchise which has a prolonged run of successful seasons." Prolonged is not a couple seasons.

4.) A cap allows new players to compete. They see the same guys from day 1 that the top schools are going after and compete from day 1 learning in the process. Under the current system, a new guy doesn't bother scouting higher divisions unless he knows to do so. Then he still has to learn how far he can reach for those players and what distances and how to use scouting money. It's way more than before where all you had to understand was dropdowns and pulldowns were significantly less of an advantage compared to pulling from 2 divisions up.

5.) This wasn't even about being driven to play at a low level school, but that is one possible scenario. It's also not about racking up credits. At DII, you are not playing newbies and racking up free credits. In a full DIII like we used to have, coaches had to compete against other top coaches. Now in the current system, you are seeing the same winners every season, because there is less competition and new guys don't know how to compete yet. Lots of coaches start the game looking for their favorite DI program, but lots of coaches also find something they like before they ever get there.
2) Players on championship D3 teams have ALWAYS been head and shoulders above the players on an average newbie team. Always. Always. It’s never not been true. And people still played the game, for some reason. Just drop the new player garbage, and admit you just want the old game with the old parameters back. The “new players can’t compete!” is the “problem” your solution has been searching for. Except it’s always been true, and always will be.

3) Who cares? Yawn.

4) No it doesn’t. It’s not going to improve a new players prospects against a vet who is still going to have access to the best players in the division one single bit. See 2 above.

5) Make a coherent point. Are you drunk?
5/2/2018 10:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15
Does WIS really care? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.