Bring in height advantages Topic

Sorry if this has been said but I think it’s a logical progression as far as variables and intangibles. In basketball height is the difference between a DI and a DII player and if we’re honest the taller players don’t have to be as skilled to impact the game. Maybe treat it like a hidden variable that makes certain attributes increase depending the advantage. That being said, I love the game.
4/22/2018 1:09 PM (edited)

I think it should be some sort of factor. Like when looking at a potential individual matchup up, where ATH/REB are similar, a 6'11" PF may grab more boards than the opponents 6'7" PF.

Also i think height could be a big plus for zone defense. In real life, height doesn't necessarily equal length. But u think if the game implemented height as a factor, it would be safe to say that length would be involved. As in, the backcourt combo of two 6'6" guards in a 2-3, compared to two 6'2" guards (with skills being relatively equal) would have an impact defensively.
4/22/2018 12:03 PM
I think it is asking too much, but it would be nice to see some sort of variance. If player A is 6’11” and has an ATH of 75 and a REB of 80. He should in theory be able to rebound better than a guy with similar stats who is 6’6”
4/22/2018 12:06 PM
Posted by beachhouse on 4/22/2018 12:06:00 PM (view original):
I think it is asking too much, but it would be nice to see some sort of variance. If player A is 6’11” and has an ATH of 75 and a REB of 80. He should in theory be able to rebound better than a guy with similar stats who is 6’6”
Yeah I’m not savvy on the programming that would be involved with this, but it sounds like it might be tedious. It would definitely add to the realism and make recruiting and game match ups interesting.
4/22/2018 12:28 PM
Exactly what I said. Also I agree with you that it may be asking to much. BUT.... I would assume when you were a new player, you probably assumed height did matter. As did i. And most others (again that's an assumption). But once a coach is told that it doesn't factor in to the equation, it's just pushed aside in the mind. And forgotten

But I don't really think it should be. With the amount of extremely detailed equations that go into this site.
4/22/2018 1:04 PM
With all of the far more significant issues in the game, I would pass on this change.
4/22/2018 9:51 PM
Give me a break, IN REAL LIFE, HEIGHT MATTERS. Ask any chick. Joking aside, a 6' forward attempting a layup against a 7' center with nominal athleticism is going to get blocked most times....real life.....add the algorithm.
4/22/2018 10:29 PM
Ratings already account for any advantages that would be provided by a player's raw height.

This is a solution in search of a problem.
4/22/2018 11:00 PM
I know height is baked into the ratings already but I do agree that it'd add another level of strategy and realism if there were other impacts to height and weight. Or length as topdogg mentions.

In a zone you want long guys who can cut off passing lanes and clog up the paint. I guess it's captured within the Defense rating but its a little more in depth than just the simplistic 'defense' rating.
4/23/2018 8:19 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 4/22/2018 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Exactly what I said. Also I agree with you that it may be asking to much. BUT.... I would assume when you were a new player, you probably assumed height did matter. As did i. And most others (again that's an assumption). But once a coach is told that it doesn't factor in to the equation, it's just pushed aside in the mind. And forgotten

But I don't really think it should be. With the amount of extremely detailed equations that go into this site.
You're absolutely right its forgotten. I have absolutely no clue how tall any of my players are but I could tell you off the top of my head what their Ath/def/speed is.

4/23/2018 8:21 AM
So I don't disagree height matters, but I'd prefer for the height advantage to show up in the ratings. In other words, I'd like 90 REB to mean 90 REB regardless of height, but have fewer 6'6" guys with those ratings. On the other side, probably need fewer 6'11" guys with 90+ ATH.
4/23/2018 9:20 AM
One of the dumbest threads this month. As people have already said...and HAVE SAID for the past 10 years.......HEIGHT IS ALREADY A FACTOR IN GAME PLAY AND IS PART OF THE RATINGS.

I'm sorry if you don't get this Spoon. But based on your posts there are a lot of things you don't get.
Sure...it may be easier for you if every player had stats that said ;

Base rebounding 75
Height adjustment +10
Net Rebounding 85

But honestly that would be a waste of space and programming time. Sort of like this thread.

So all we see is
Rebounding 85

4/23/2018 9:33 AM
I made a thread about this like 2 years ago saying that night should be a factor in individual matchups, ergo a 6 foot PG with 90 ATH/ DE should get manhandled by a 7 foot big man with 60 LP
4/23/2018 10:20 AM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 4/23/2018 10:20:00 AM (view original):
I made a thread about this like 2 years ago saying that night should be a factor in individual matchups, ergo a 6 foot PG with 90 ATH/ DE should get manhandled by a 7 foot big man with 60 LP
If your C is being guarded by a PG, the first question shouldn't necessarily be "Why isn't the C dominating??"
4/23/2018 12:14 PM
from the beginning of the game, the answer has been that height is rolled into the relevant ratings

4/23/2018 12:41 PM
12 Next ▸
Bring in height advantages Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.