New player retention Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I am a new player who has been here for a little over a month and completely agree with all of this. I think D3 should be used as a learning tool for each coach to get a feel of the game, My biggest complaint as a new D3 coach is that people can recruit D1 players. That doesn't seem realistic at all in a game that is otherwise steeped in realism. At first I wasn't excited about the prospect of having to work my way up from D3 (especially with the team I randomly selected) but the more I get into it, the more fun I am coaching a small school. I know it will take time and money to make it to D1 but for me that is good because I am learning new things about how this works every day.
2/15/2019 4:15 PM
Shoe, no.
2/15/2019 4:20 PM
Posted by Sportsbulls on 2/15/2019 4:20:00 PM (view original):
Shoe, no.
Elaborate? I mean, personally, I don’t think anything needs to be “fixed”. But I hear people complaining that not enough people play D3. I also hear people talk about not wanting “D1” players in D3.

Frankly, I wouldn’t be bothered if they just dropped it, if they decided it was a bad look to have lots of sim ai teams for new players to beat at the port of entry. But if they want to keep it, want more people to play it, and want to cap it, here’s 3 birds, 1 stone.
2/15/2019 6:11 PM
If D3 was free and had its own recruiting pool, everyone would play there, not the other divisions.
2/16/2019 11:40 AM
I doubt it. Some would, for sure. But with no incentives, plenty of folks will keep moving, I think. They could always do a X-month trial period, and reserve the right to limit the amount of free D3 seasons, if it looks like higher levels are emptying.
2/16/2019 1:38 PM
No one is actually making money from playing this game. People gain credits that they use to play the game more. You're not gaining real life cash so people are playing this game for the experience, not for the money.
2/16/2019 4:09 PM
I think you miss out on new customers because there is no way to try it before paying. I know I walked away 3-4 times before finally deciding to try it. Only reason I did try it after a month of deliberating was because i've played these types of games for years and wanted to compare to others. Other folks might be new to the genre entirely, so a chance to try would be a good thing.

You could just eliminate NT from D3 or something, if it really became an issue. Make it a bit more restricted if need to be but I agree most people didn't join to run D3 teams.
3/7/2019 2:09 PM
Hi there. I'm a brand new customer, 24 hours old. I had my eyes on for a bit and vaguely remember looking about a year ago. The lack of a free trial option was a consideration. It isn't that the ~$5 is that much, but since the pricing is somewhat obscured on the website, it was my thought process of "if I like this game am I okay with yet another $10/mo bill?" (That's before I knew you could win and play, essentially, for free with credits.)

I'm fine with earning my stripes to D1, but had D3 been free I'm sure I would have jumped in a year ago. And once this season ends -- and I've paid my ~$5 to get my *** kicked because I'm learning -- what's the likelihood I'll pay for a second season at an increased rate? I can't say yet, obviously.

Honestly, D3 being F2P isn't a bad idea. Some sort of microtransactions for QoL add-ons could be the D3 revenue stream. Pay to change your team's colors, add mascots, perhaps some better recruiting options (now we're flirting with P2W, though).

What I'm seeing now is that the leagues seem pretty sparsely populated by humans. That's a problem and doesn't incentivize me to reup for season 2+.
3/20/2019 2:24 PM
New player retention Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.