Family Ties (10 in) Topic

Baseball families have produced numerous Hall of Famers, All-Stars, award winners, and a colorful cast of characters over the years. Let's celebrate family (Willie Stargell would be proud!), and one of my all-time favorite TV shows: Family Ties (Alex P. Keaton would be proud!).

The only requirement is that all 25 players on your roster had a relative also play in the majors. This is an important distinction, as there have been tons of minor league players that never made it to the show, Reid Ryan comes to mind, so in this theme Nolan Ryan would not be eligible.

Pete Rose would be eligible because his son had 14 PA's in 1997 for the Reds, even though Rose Jr isn't in the SIM database. Make sense?

Use the following link for eligible players. I will also use this link to verify rosters in addition to some others not listed like cousins, in-laws, etc.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/fammenu.shtml

League Rules:
  • $120 million cap
  • Every and all season (partial/full): 1885-2017
  • NO: AAA, DH, clones, injuries, trades, waiver wire
  • Divisions aligned randomly
  • Choose exclusive stadium when you sign up. League wide uniqueness of stadiums will be enforced.
  • Standard 24 team league with 8 playoff teams and standard playoff format.
4/23/2018 8:08 PM (edited)
Committed Owners

1) Got_Worms - ?
2) jfranco77 - Target Field
3) doubletruck - AT&T Park
4) Boddicker - Yankee Stadium
5) calnah - Three Rivers Stadium
6) fatboydad54 - Kingdome
7) bhoser - County Stadium
8) d_rock97 - Busch Stadium
9) pick1or2 - ?
10) gyrene - Petco Park
11) Eace - Tropicana Field
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
6/19/2018 5:01 PM (edited)
ADDITIONAL RELATIVES:

COUSINS
Rick Dempsey/Gregg Zaun
Bob Feller/Hal Manders
Reggie Jackson/Barry Bonds
Charles Johnson/Fred McGriff
Dave Magadan/Lou Piniella
Edgar Martinez/Carmelo Martinez
Fred McGriff/Terry McGriff
Kevin Mitchell/Keith Mitchell
John Olerud/Dale Svuem
Mariano Rivera/Ruben Rivera
Jimmy Rollins/Tony Tarasco
Greg Vaughn/Mo Vaughn

IN-LAWS
Eddie Stanky/Milt Stock
Lou Boudreau/Denny McLain
Kirk Gibson/Dave Rozema
Manny Machado/Yonder Alonso

UNCLE/NEPHEW
Ernie Banks/Bob E Johnson
Roger Cedeno/Yangervis Solarte
Roberto Clemente/Edgard Clemente
Dwight Gooden/Gary Sheffield
Ray Lankford/Carl Nichols
Leron Lee/Derrek Lee
Ryne Sandberg/Jared Sandberg
5/30/2018 3:09 PM (edited)
I'm determined to get this league filled. In the past I've required exclusive players but thought I would open it up to all relatives this time around. Was hoping to avoid rotation's full of Pedro & Maddux!
4/24/2018 3:01 PM
I'll play. Manny Machado and Yonder Alonso are in-laws.
4/24/2018 5:02 PM
Jayson Werth is a member of the Schofield family; cousin, I believe, to the Dicks, for what it's werth.

Are Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich related "by marriage"?

Seriously, Baseball Almanac has a full list of baseball fathers, sons and brothers.And you can count Christy Mathewson and Jose Canseco even though their brothers do not qualify for WIS seasons.
4/24/2018 5:13 PM (edited)
I’ll play Ben. Sounds good. We’ll play in Yankee Stadium.
4/24/2018 7:16 PM
Posted by doubletruck on 4/24/2018 5:13:00 PM (view original):
Jayson Werth is a member of the Schofield family; cousin, I believe, to the Dicks, for what it's werth.

Are Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich related "by marriage"?

Seriously, Baseball Almanac has a full list of baseball fathers, sons and brothers.And you can count Christy Mathewson and Jose Canseco even though their brothers do not qualify for WIS seasons.
The Baseball Family Tree link is posted on the main forum thread and Mathewson and Canseco are both listed so they are eligible even though their brother's don't have SIM seasons.

Did you see the example posted about Nolan/Reid Ryan and Pete Rose/Rose Jr?

Jayson Werth & Dick Schofield are listed under the Grandfather/Grandson section.
4/24/2018 7:42 PM (edited)
Posted by jfranco77 on 4/24/2018 5:02:00 PM (view original):
I'll play. Manny Machado and Yonder Alonso are in-laws.
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, Baseball Almanac doesn't list in-laws and cousins but I've stumbled across a few researching player bio pages on Baseball Reference.

I suppose even Willie Mays would be eligible since he's Barry's Godfather?!?
4/24/2018 7:45 PM
"Are Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich related "by marriage"?"

Well played, doubletruck, well played...I just blew laugh-snot all over my keyboard...for the benefit of the younger guys who missed the wacky 70's, you might want to provide a link or three to the Peterson-Kekich swap meet story...vm
4/24/2018 7:50 PM
I'll play in Target Field, ya know, Twins and all
4/24/2018 8:00 PM
O.K., this is too much fun to pass up. I’ll put In a team.

If you’ll consider a godfather, then how about Willie Mays and Willie Mays Aikens?

Meanwhile, I’ll claim AT&T Park.
4/24/2018 10:21 PM (edited)
Posted by VanMeter on 4/24/2018 7:50:00 PM (view original):
"Are Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich related "by marriage"?"

Well played, doubletruck, well played...I just blew laugh-snot all over my keyboard...for the benefit of the younger guys who missed the wacky 70's, you might want to provide a link or three to the Peterson-Kekich swap meet story...vm
I am not familiar with this story. Perhaps my age is showing!
4/25/2018 11:04 AM
Got_Worms: Instead of me telling the tale second-hand, just Google "Mike Kekich and Fritz Peterson wife swap"...vm
4/25/2018 1:56 PM
You got me on Willie Stargell and "We are Family" . Three Rivers Stadium
4/25/2018 8:44 PM
1234 Next ▸
Family Ties (10 in) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.