Under what circumstances/status will minor leaguers on the 40-man roster still opt for free agency?
5/1/2018 9:15 PM
They cannot if they are on the 40.

If they are not on the 40 they will automatically become FAs at the start of their 6th year of pro ball.
5/1/2018 9:27 PM
So, if you have a major leaguer that is becoming an FA, what happens if you demote him to AAA at the end of the season (assuming he still has an option) but keep him on the 40?
5/1/2018 9:54 PM
I believe that once a player has over five years major league service, that’s when they can elect immediate free agency over a demotion. So if you’re talking about demoting a player who’s already been around through three arbs and/or a LT contract and warned you he’s walking next year, it can’t be done.
5/1/2018 10:14 PM
You are kind of mixing things together. If a player is strictly in the minors and yet to be promoted to the bigs, he can't opt for FA if he is on the 40-man. But if his major-league clock is ticking, a demotion won't necessarily prevent him from walking if his arb years are expired.
5/1/2018 10:31 PM
Players get three major league years pre-arb. Then three arb years, or a LT contract. My point is, whenever a player earns that right to say he’s going free agent next season, whether through third arb or expiring contract, he’s also got the right to refuse demotion.

5/1/2018 11:03 PM
I've never seen an HBD player refuse demotion after clearing waivers. I've seen it done dozens of times and the player always goes to the minors, then goes FA in the offseason after their contract expires.
5/2/2018 9:16 AM
Posted by saintonan on 5/2/2018 9:16:00 AM (view original):
I've never seen an HBD player refuse demotion after clearing waivers. I've seen it done dozens of times and the player always goes to the minors, then goes FA in the offseason after their contract expires.
It does happen. I won't pretend to know how common it is, but I have seen them refuse the demotion and opt for free agency.
5/2/2018 9:32 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.