Why is my point guard only shooting 3-pointers? Topic

I wanted my point guard to attempt lots of three pointers because he has good ratings for both speed and perimeter, but in an exhibition game yesterday he shot 15 3s and only one mid-ranger. How do I make it so there's more of a balance? Or is that not possible?
5/2/2018 6:02 AM
Under "Coaching" >> "Player Game Plan", there's a column called "3-Pt".
This has a range from minus-2 to plus+2.
From what I've seen, the following settings produce these shot-type percentages:

+2 means 95%+ of player's shots will be 3-pointers.
+1 means around 75% to 80% of his shots will be 3-pointers.
0 means around 60% to 67%.
minus-1 still puts him in the 40% to 50% range.
minus-2 drops it to 0%, except for fullcourt shots at the half, and final possessions down by 3.

Also, under Team Game Plan, there's a setting for 3-point frequency in certain game situations, and that can affect the shot type too.
5/2/2018 8:03 AM
Posted by npb7768 on 5/2/2018 8:03:00 AM (view original):
Under "Coaching" >> "Player Game Plan", there's a column called "3-Pt".
This has a range from minus-2 to plus+2.
From what I've seen, the following settings produce these shot-type percentages:

+2 means 95%+ of player's shots will be 3-pointers.
+1 means around 75% to 80% of his shots will be 3-pointers.
0 means around 60% to 67%.
minus-1 still puts him in the 40% to 50% range.
minus-2 drops it to 0%, except for fullcourt shots at the half, and final possessions down by 3.

Also, under Team Game Plan, there's a setting for 3-point frequency in certain game situations, and that can affect the shot type too.
Ahh thank you so much! This was my Player Game Plan page before your response:

But this is it now:
5/2/2018 8:46 AM
I can’t see anything that’s changed, you may have pulled the same image? I would have Hardin as my top scorer, with Casiano and Finnerty right behind him. Maybe 8-7-7 for the top 3. I would not have Denn and Berry set above 1 until they have better IQ, or they will take (and miss) way too many shots. I would also think about moving Lambert in to the starting lineup, your team could really use some passing at pg. If you promised a start to Denn, he can replace Finnerty at sg. Finnerty could be better utilized (IMO) as a bench scorer backing up both guard positions. I don’t think anyone on your team warrants more than a 0 3-pt setting, unless you are specifically trying to be a perimeter team that attracts recruits with that preference.

I’d be happy to chat with you in more detail by site mail, if you want.
5/2/2018 10:40 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 5/2/2018 10:40:00 AM (view original):
I can’t see anything that’s changed, you may have pulled the same image? I would have Hardin as my top scorer, with Casiano and Finnerty right behind him. Maybe 8-7-7 for the top 3. I would not have Denn and Berry set above 1 until they have better IQ, or they will take (and miss) way too many shots. I would also think about moving Lambert in to the starting lineup, your team could really use some passing at pg. If you promised a start to Denn, he can replace Finnerty at sg. Finnerty could be better utilized (IMO) as a bench scorer backing up both guard positions. I don’t think anyone on your team warrants more than a 0 3-pt setting, unless you are specifically trying to be a perimeter team that attracts recruits with that preference.

I’d be happy to chat with you in more detail by site mail, if you want.
whoops sorry you're right, I did indeed pull the same image.

I started Lambert last year at PG, and the only reason why I was reluctant to start him there this season is because his defense is only 24, but you are right it is useful to have his passing there so I will start him in that position. Last season he averaged 26.3 minutes across 28 games, shooting 45.4% from the field, 36.8% from 3-point range and 74% from the free throw line. He also averaged 1.4 rebounds, 5.3 assists, 1.9 turnovers, 1.0 steal, 2.3 personal fouls and 6.8 points.

Casiano started at SF last season, despite me not changing his position from PF before the deadline. But this season I've already changed it and he's now my starting SF, just ahead of Daugherty whom I redshirted last year (we have bad depth at small forward). Casiano averaged last year: 24.6 minutes, 45.8% FG, 40% FG3, 63% FT, 3.6 rebounds (1.0 offensive), 1.8 assists, 1.3 turnovers, 0.6 steals, 0.3 blocks, 2.1 personal fouls and 6.0 points.

As you suggested, I will change Denn's position to shooting guard and start him there and Berry will start at center (I promised them both starts and a minimum of 25 minutes playing time). I will also give Finnerty and Faust lots of the ball when they come off the bench to score (I have set Finnerty at 1+ and Faust at 2+ for 3-point attempts)

Last season I had an insane center getting tonnes of rebounds and points, and a slasher of a shooting guard with over 90 for speed and perimeter but horrendous defense, so I think I need to definitely adjust the way my team is playing a lot because both have since left as they were in their senior year. I have us set to play a high tempo game on our motion offense and if we fall 8 points or more behind to shoot tonnes of three pointers, which worked reasonably well last season, but probably won't work now.

Thank you so much for your help! I'll definitely drop you a message in site mail now so we can discuss in more detail because I'm clearly still a tad lost playing the game and probably should've had a mentor last season to begin with.

5/2/2018 12:16 PM
Why is my point guard only shooting 3-pointers? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.