kid leaves after playing 88% of promised minutes Topic

warning to all - I promised a kid 15 minutes a game - got him 343 - 88% and he left. No assurance that 80% is enough....should have found him more minutes in non conf games!
5/2/2018 10:29 AM
People have reported kids leaving even closer to the promises, especially highly ranked recruits. Did he send you a warning? Did you get an all clear email?

Only getting him into 24 games had to hurt. Only 1 minute in the postseason, I’m sure that stings in retrospect.
5/2/2018 11:00 AM
complained, I got his WE back up but did not get an "i'm happy" message

should have got him more time early and a bit in post season.....curses foiled again
5/2/2018 12:00 PM
I thought the post season is an exempt period for minute promises and start promises. Would somebody better versed in WIS rules chime in, because when I get to Tourney time it is best player, and best IQ gets the minutes....And I have never had a Start Promise guy leave. Thanks.
5/2/2018 2:41 PM
Not playing in the conference tourney wouldn’t have hurt if the player was fine going in. If he hasn’t complained, it doesn’t matter. But if he’s complained, and you want to make sure he doesn’t leave, you have to work to get that happy email. If you haven’t received the happy email, you can still use the conference tourney to get a player’s minutes up.
5/2/2018 3:05 PM
Had 2 frosh last season. Promised 20. Hit 86% with 450 min and he left. Hit 91% with 475 min and he stayed. That’s how close it was. Will pay more attention tot the math moving forward.
5/2/2018 3:07 PM
I would guess the 88% was just fine. The 24 games was the axe. I only count on two misses, including conference tourney...that's 25 games if you get bumped in the 1st round. The post-season doesn't count.
5/2/2018 3:56 PM
I believe the CT still matters, but the tournaments played after all the practices have been completed; (NT and PIT) don't effect promises.
5/2/2018 4:33 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/2/2018 3:56:00 PM (view original):
I would guess the 88% was just fine. The 24 games was the axe. I only count on two misses, including conference tourney...that's 25 games if you get bumped in the 1st round. The post-season doesn't count.
I should have been more clear, I consider the conference tourney “postseason”. The guy played one minute of one game in the conference tourney, not at all in the NT (which doesn’t matter, regarding promises). Beyond wording, I think we’re in agreement,
5/2/2018 4:40 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 5/2/2018 4:40:00 PM (view original):
I should have been more clear, I consider the conference tourney “postseason”. The guy played one minute of one game in the conference tourney, not at all in the NT (which doesn’t matter, regarding promises). Beyond wording, I think we’re in agreement,
lol, I think. Maryland played in 29 games that counted...10 non-con, 16 conference games and 3 conference tourney games. So, if you promise 10 minutes and play 29 games that season, you just can't pile 290 minutes into the first 8 non-con games and then bench him the rest of the year.
5/2/2018 8:53 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/2/2018 8:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 5/2/2018 4:40:00 PM (view original):
lol, I think. Maryland played in 29 games that counted...10 non-con, 16 conference games and 3 conference tourney games. So, if you promise 10 minutes and play 29 games that season, you just can't pile 290 minutes into the first 8 non-con games and then bench him the rest of the year.
That would be quite the accomplishment (290 minutes played in the first 8 games which averages over 36 minutes per game, I hope a bunch of those go into triple OT or longer).

However, it's likely if you did pull that off, he's less likely to leave than if you back-end the minutes (played 290 minutes in the last 8 games).

My theory is that most recruits will be happy with 80 to 90% of promised minutes. If at *any* time they are to fall beneath that threshold, they'll send you an e-mail stating their unhappiness and likely a WE drop. To get the "I'm happy again" e-mail is paramount to ensure they don't leave. It's highly likely once they're unhappy, they'll want you to honor the full 100% of minutes (so you just can't get it back to the previous 80% for example).
5/2/2018 9:17 PM
I’m fairly certain that if you make it through 26 games with the recruit not complaining, you can leave him on the bench for the conference tourney, as Maryland did, and suffer no consequences. The problem here is that the guy complained, and he didn’t do enough to get him back; and the point is that he *could* have used conference tourney games to get back in the players good graces.
5/2/2018 10:05 PM
So, I am in a similar situation and want to make sure I handle it properly. I promised a guy 20 minutes and after 8 or so games he was averaging 17.2 and I got the unhappy e-mail. No WE drop. Made an effort to get him some extra minutes over the next few games and got the happy e-mail. He has hovered around 17.8 minutes or so for most of the season but fell to 16.8 minutes after the last few games of the conference schedule. Do I need to make sure and get him minutes in the conference tournament or am I safe since I got the happy e-mail?
5/2/2018 10:27 PM
Posted by tgblackw on 5/2/2018 10:27:00 PM (view original):
So, I am in a similar situation and want to make sure I handle it properly. I promised a guy 20 minutes and after 8 or so games he was averaging 17.2 and I got the unhappy e-mail. No WE drop. Made an effort to get him some extra minutes over the next few games and got the happy e-mail. He has hovered around 17.8 minutes or so for most of the season but fell to 16.8 minutes after the last few games of the conference schedule. Do I need to make sure and get him minutes in the conference tournament or am I safe since I got the happy e-mail?
You *should* be safe, from my understanding. I would go back and double check emails to make sure he didn’t have another complaint buried in stuff like recruiting emails. If he sent you the happygram, and that’s the last you heard from him, you are almost certainly clear.

That said, just because I haven’t seen or heard of a case where a kid transferred after sending a happy email, doesn’t mean it could never happen. I don’t know for certain that mully doesn’t have a pink unicorn hiding in his garage. I suppose the only way to be absolutely certain he doesn’t transfer is to completely fulfill the promises.
5/2/2018 10:50 PM
I had a guy last season never give the happy email, he wanted 2-3 more minutes, I have him 4.5, but he still never sent happy email. However, he stuck around...
5/3/2018 11:34 AM
kid leaves after playing 88% of promised minutes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.