Kerry Wood 20K game (oral history) Topic

This is a really fun read. Even the home plate ump and official scorer get off good lines.
5/2/2018 11:41 PM
Bagwell: I was never less upset about a three-strikeout game. I was OK with it that day.

Stone: Derek Bell was a quality major-league hitter. But to me, it looked like Ray Charles came to bat. That’s as much chance as Derek Bell had
5/4/2018 10:01 AM (edited)
Riggleman: Bob Patterson, who was a really good left-handed reliever for us, got hurt. Sprained his ankle. He was the only lefty we had in the bullpen. So Terry Mulholland, who was one of our better starters, had to go to the bullpen so we could get a lefty down there. We brought Kerry up to the rotation.

--

Amazing to think that was only 20 years ago. No team would ever dream of doing that today.
5/4/2018 10:56 AM

Ausmus: I vividly remember swinging at one breaking ball that bounced in the grass. And I think it might have gone all the way to the backstop. But hey, if it was a fastball I would have been right on it. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a fastball.

Biggio: After that game, Brad and I were in a cab. And whenever you’re in a cab, they’ve got (sports) talk radio on. And the guy on the talk-radio show was laughing and making fun of us. He said, “There was a guy on the Astros who actually swung at a breaking ball that hit the grass!” We started laughing. I’m like, “Dude, that was you, bro!”

5/4/2018 11:48 AM
Thanks CS.
5/5/2018 2:02 AM (edited)
Kerry Wood 20K game (oral history) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.