Low speeds effect on defensive range. Topic

Does low speed hurt a SS if he has good Range?
5/3/2018 9:49 AM
Range is Range; Speed doesn't affect it.
5/3/2018 10:04 AM
Oh terrific. So if I have a slow shortstop, like 30 speed, but he is EPIC with all 4 defensive stats (85 Range/93 Glove/92 Arm Strength/96 Accuracy), he will (or should) still be an amazing defensive player?
5/3/2018 10:18 AM
This guy is a positive defensive SS and has 17 speed. Speed only effects base running/stolen bases, as weird as it seems!

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7780641
5/3/2018 10:37 AM
Think of it this way your guy has great instincts and gets a quick jump on the ball. he reads it so well off the bat his speed does not greatly affect his range adversely.
5/3/2018 11:03 AM
A short anecdote. I was coaching against a team at the college level who had a fat boy at SS. The team ended up winning 40 games and was a game away from the college World Series. All 3 games that we played them, I went back and forth on whether I would have recruited the kid because of his body type, but he got to everything and made every play. The kid ended up getting drafted at the end of the season.

Point is, after seeing that kid play, I don't think it's unrealistic to have a SS that is slow straight ahead, but is quick laterally.
5/3/2018 11:12 AM
Even early in his career, Cal Ripken couldn't score from second on a triple-- but his defensive positioning gave him outstanding range.
5/3/2018 3:24 PM
Great points gents! Thanks!
5/4/2018 9:58 AM
Low speeds effect on defensive range. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.