SG/SF Positions Topic

I usually always recruit SG's for both the SG and SF position as I run the flex/press and value speed, passing, and perimeter. With all else being equal, which guy would you put at SF?

Player A: 30 rebounding; 50 athleticism
Player B: 10 rebounding; 65 athleticism

From what I know, rebounding gets more value at the SF (greater chance of team getting rebound on any given missed shot). At the same time, it would be nice to have more athleticism at the SF. Maybe there wouldn't be a huge difference.
5/4/2018 10:17 AM
I'd rather have Player A, but I also play a lot of Zone.
5/4/2018 10:24 AM
Assuming you have strong-enough rebounding from your PF and C slots, I'd take B at SF. A 15-pt difference in ATH is huge.
5/4/2018 10:38 AM
Thanks for the response gentlemen. I'm also wondering if it matters less in the press because they're double-teaming and trapping. Who knows where each player will be when a shot goes up. Which brings up 2 new questions:

1. How does the press decide which players are double-teaming?
2. How does the coding determine rebounds? Is it based solely on position and rebounding attribute, or does the code state where each player is currently on the floor before checking rebounding attribute?
5/4/2018 10:50 AM
Posted by mlitney on 5/4/2018 10:50:00 AM (view original):
Thanks for the response gentlemen. I'm also wondering if it matters less in the press because they're double-teaming and trapping. Who knows where each player will be when a shot goes up. Which brings up 2 new questions:

1. How does the press decide which players are double-teaming?
2. How does the coding determine rebounds? Is it based solely on position and rebounding attribute, or does the code state where each player is currently on the floor before checking rebounding attribute?
All else equal, I use B at the 3.

1. Functionally, it could be anyone. From a game planning standpoint, I assume the guy lined up at the position of the shooter will be one of those guys more often than not, but I don’t think that’s necessarily always true. I value ath and def pretty high for the SF, assuming he could be involved in a shot anywhere on the court (whereas the 4 and 5 are less likely to be involved on the perimeter, and guards are less likely to be involved down low).
2. I don’t think in terms of physically where a player is on the court, but I do assume that position plays a significant role in rebounding. Playing a low rebounding sf will affect your rebounding, so you account for that in game planning. My impression is that rebounds are determined based on probability, like every other outcome. When a shot is missed, the rebound odds for each player on the court are determined based on the formula, whatever that is; likely some combination of rebounding, athleticism, IQ, and position, adjusted by fatigue and defense/setting.
5/4/2018 12:08 PM (edited)
Posted by bhansalid00 on 5/4/2018 10:38:00 AM (view original):
Assuming you have strong-enough rebounding from your PF and C slots, I'd take B at SF. A 15-pt difference in ATH is huge.
Totally agree.
5/4/2018 12:07 PM
I prefer A. To me, a "10" at rebounding is brutally bad for a non-guard. But I can appreciate the arguments going the other way.
5/4/2018 12:29 PM
Assuming their defense ratings/IQs are equal, I lean toward B. I think the ATH advantage for B will be such a difference maker defensively that it overcomes the rebounding weakness.

The rebounding difference between A&B might cost you 1 or 2 rebounds per game. And shoe is right -- your SF is probably the one player that will be used on double teams across all 5 positions, so he can make a difference defensively on every single play.
5/4/2018 1:20 PM
ATH is a panacea for everything else. Take the ATH.
5/4/2018 3:05 PM
For me, the defensive rating matters as well. If both guys are 80 def and I needed rebounding, I’d be fine with player A. But if we are talking D3 and both guys are 40 defense, then it’s player B all the way because I’m not giving up that much athleticism AND defense.
5/4/2018 8:51 PM
SG/SF Positions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.