Speedy catchers Topic

I've been experimenting with Catchers having a Speed rating in the 90's. They don't hit quite as well as their peers and you have to go digging to find out how they did on the bases. So I'm opening it up for discussion. How much is 50 points of speed worth for a Catcher?
5/5/2018 5:29 PM
A very limited number of them, really only Buck Ewing is good enough to use regularly...and he is pricey.

King Kelly is another.
5/5/2018 6:19 PM
I've been using the $6M King Kelly, but only on slappy teams facing deadball piitching. still not sure if he's worth it. The 74 speed Pudge is tempting if you can afford him.
5/5/2018 6:26 PM
I've become a big Fred Carroll fan. He gets on base, is leading a triples team in triples, and even has an A+ range OF season.

Jason Kendall? He WAS a catcher that hit leadoff...he has several affordable seasons. Speed is 50's - 60's...
5/5/2018 6:40 PM (edited)
1887 Arlie Latham , He got me over 100 stolen bases on one team.
5/15/2018 5:17 PM
How much is it worth? Depends on A) where you bat him in the order, B) what his hit distribution looks like and C) what the rest of your offense looks like

I like John Kerins and Fred Carroll a bunch. Both hit triples, which their high speed rating lets them replicate in the sim, but the real benefit is that they'll take the extra base. If you have a good offense that puts a lot of balls in play and hits a lot of singles, doubles, triples, the value of high speed players rises in concurrence. I typically spend more on hitting than pitching and a big reason for this is because I favor the speedy guys (not just at C, but including C).
5/15/2018 5:35 PM
What came first the chicken or the egg? Draft him for a specific role or draft him because he's got value and fits a general plan, then decide what to do with him. I'm the second type of drafter. I am more likely to draft a speedy catcher when everybody else has speed, for a different reason. because Base Running Aggressiveness will be set high, I don't like doing that with a couple slow guys in the lineup making outs on the bases.
5/17/2018 8:32 PM
Speedy catchers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.