Stupid Programmer / Programming Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It does normally. Bad SIM?
5/6/2018 10:22 AM
More like TYPICAL end of game SIM. And by the way..
11/14/2012 8:11 AM Customer Support
Chris,

Defensive positioning didn't really change that much in general..... In the old system, a +5 setting would dramatically reduce perimeter shooting efficiency, regardless of defensive ability of players, which just isn't realistic.
5/6/2018 11:01 AM
My question is then does it have little effect on rebounding too? If it's going to have little effect on 3 pt shooting then it should have little effect on rebounding, or else what's the point, right?
5/6/2018 1:20 PM
His answer Mully seems incomplete... In the end, there are often crazy 3pts shooting and I make adjustments and still get SIMS to shoot the 3 like crazy
5/6/2018 1:33 PM
Posted by billscnb on 5/6/2018 1:20:00 PM (view original):
My question is then does it have little effect on rebounding too? If it's going to have little effect on 3 pt shooting then it should have little effect on rebounding, or else what's the point, right?
I've always felt that the impact of +/- on rebounding was really overrated.
5/6/2018 2:40 PM
It doesn’t stop the effectiveness of 3 point shooting, nor should it. It does affect effectiveness, but it’s hard for us to notice the difference between 30% and 40% probability in a given game when all we see is the outcome. Small sample sizes, and all that.

The question is, why do you keep your late game settings at +5, if you’re not getting the results you want?
5/6/2018 3:25 PM
I did a study a few seasons ago and found the 3pt shooting in the last minute was actually higher against a +5 defense than the other defenses played during the rest of the game. Sure the sample size was still smallish (50 shots or so). But I also have a suspicion they purposely increase the chance of making a 3 at the end of the game no matter what you do anyway.

To answer your question. If a team needs to make a 3 to tie the game I am going to instinctively send out the defense that is supposed to stop a 3 whether it actually works or not. If they make it while I run a -2 then I would blame myself.
5/6/2018 3:48 PM
But net - a change that he made +7 years ago to make it so defensive positioning doesn't affect FG% is plain retarded and the worst game engine change he made in his tenure.
5/6/2018 3:49 PM
Posted by mullycj on 5/6/2018 3:49:00 PM (view original):
But net - a change that he made +7 years ago to make it so defensive positioning doesn't affect FG% is plain retarded and the worst game engine change he made in his tenure.
It does impact it. It just impacts it in conjuction with your defender's ability. So it isn't applied in a vacuum. If you have a terrible defender on the perimeter, he is not going to be as effective as a good defender. But yes, +5 has more impact than +4 etc.
5/6/2018 3:55 PM
Posted by mullycj on 5/6/2018 3:48:00 PM (view original):
I did a study a few seasons ago and found the 3pt shooting in the last minute was actually higher against a +5 defense than the other defenses played during the rest of the game. Sure the sample size was still smallish (50 shots or so). But I also have a suspicion they purposely increase the chance of making a 3 at the end of the game no matter what you do anyway.

To answer your question. If a team needs to make a 3 to tie the game I am going to instinctively send out the defense that is supposed to stop a 3 whether it actually works or not. If they make it while I run a -2 then I would blame myself.
Well the end of game logic you mention makes sense. It’s exactly the way it works in the GD game. They force unrealistic upsets and outcomes into the game. But gotta take the good with the bad. I do agree that bad defenders shouldn’t impact shots AS MUCH AS a good defender. But if the effectiveness is tied just to defensive skill ability then that’s unrealistic. Even more so then the CS agent saying that was the fix that was implemented. That is an awful fix to the engine if true. Formation IQ should mean something.
5/6/2018 7:33 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 5/6/2018 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 5/6/2018 3:49:00 PM (view original):
It does impact it. It just impacts it in conjuction with your defender's ability. So it isn't applied in a vacuum. If you have a terrible defender on the perimeter, he is not going to be as effective as a good defender. But yes, +5 has more impact than +4 etc.
Good to see you back Hughes.
5/6/2018 7:49 PM
Posted by tampafla on 5/6/2018 7:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 5/6/2018 3:48:00 PM (view original):

Well the end of game logic you mention makes sense. It’s exactly the way it works in the GD game. They force unrealistic upsets and outcomes into the game. But gotta take the good with the bad. I do agree that bad defenders shouldn’t impact shots AS MUCH AS a good defender. But if the effectiveness is tied just to defensive skill ability then that’s unrealistic. Even more so then the CS agent saying that was the fix that was implemented. That is an awful fix to the engine if true. Formation IQ should mean something.
I don’t see any reason to suspect there is end of game logic “forcing” upsets. Although, it can sometimes work to “force” close games, but that’s not the intention. The engine just works to compensate for early runs, which is why if you go on an uncommonly good run against an opponent, you can be almost assured the engine will snap you back; either you’ll go cold for a spell, or your opponent will get hot, or some combination. It regresses to the mean, which usually works *against* upsets. Different concept than what mully is talking about, although there is probably some cross reference in many instances (ie, the late game hot streak is really the engine regressing to the mean).
5/6/2018 8:07 PM
The guy (Richard Chamberlain) making the shot was a 100 Athleticism, 100 Speed, 92 Perimeter, 88 BH, and 89 Passing with an A- IQ. Yeah I could see a guy like that making a play despite a +5 defense from an NBA team. Am I wrong?

Both Oklahoma and Texas are stacked with future NBA draft picks and led by Hall of Fame coaches.
5/6/2018 10:35 PM (edited)
So .. they have programmed in a :

if [ "$username" == "mullycj" ] && [ "$DefPosition" -gt "0" ]; then
sed -e 's,+,-,g'
fi

I helped them put it in. It works fine for everyone else.
5/6/2018 10:52 PM
1234 Next ▸
Stupid Programmer / Programming Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.