DFA Matt Harvey - A Met fan perspective Topic

Mets DFA Matt Harvey

When he came up from the minors, and had immediate success, especially in his second season 2013 - in which he started the All-Star game - to me he was the second coming of Tom Seaver. From his poise on the mound, to the immaculate command of his pitches, to the way he powered his fastball with his strong thighs just like Seaver, it was clear to me, he was the Franchise (II).

Matt Harvey’s first three years in the MLB (2012, 2013, and 2015) were outstanding. He started 65 games, pitched 427 innings, allowing 120 ERs for a 2.53 ERA. He struck out 449 batters (9.46 K/9) and he allowed 333 hits and walked 93 for a WHIP of 1.00! Even so, he missed the entire 2014 season (between his 2nd and 3rd year) with Tommy John surgery. Over that three year time span, he allowed 30 HRs.

Subsequently, Matt Harvey’s last three years included more surgeries, more stints on the DL and for his time on the mound, a totally different result. The last three years, Harvey made 39 starts and four relief appearances. He pitched 212 1/3 innings, allowed 254 hits, 81 walks, 140 ERs, 35 HRs and struck out just 163. He gave up more ERs and HRs in (2016,2017,2018) than he did in his first three seasons, in about half the innings!

Harvey did not have the same results in 2016 that he had in 2015 and it was a bit puzzling. He was put on the DL in June with shoulder pain and eventually had season-ending surgery to correct thoracic outlet syndrome. In 2017, he was suspended for three games for violating team rules and admitted he had made mistakes (too much partying perhaps?). Later that season he had yet another surgery, this time to correct a stress fracture in his scapula.

It is interesting to me, that he came back from Tommy John surgery, then had a successful 2015 season. His struggles came in 2016. I guess now is a good time to mention that in 2015 Matt Harvey and the Mets won the NL Pennant and Matt Harvey made four post season starts pitching 26.2 innings including the ninth inning of World Series game 5 after pitching a tremendous game. And the Mets lost. Whether those 26 inning pushed him over the edge physically, or the loss of the final game of the World Series (mentally) had a lingering affect on him, he was not the same Matt Harvey in 2016.

Met fans have just been waiting for him to get 100% healthy. And when the Mets announced they had designated him for assignment, I thought it was hasty. While I agree'd that he does not help the Mets on the field currently, it just seems like if we wait just a little bit longer, he’s going to get back to where he was and be that ace again. Well, I was wrong, the Mets have been patient. His last year pitching effectively was three years ago. I hate to say it, but the Mets might have done Matt a favor by DFA’ing him. He needs a change of scenery. Maybe he is hitting the bottle too hard, or staying out too late. Perhaps a new team, a new city, could change all that. I hope he makes a great comeback and gets back on top of his game. I’m rooting for him, I’m just sad that he won’t be the next Tom Seaver.

5/6/2018 11:38 PM
Damn 3 years already? I’m still waiting for that super rotation with 4 aces to come thru. And with modern medicine, I don’t understand how this happened. Only 10 years ago, an ACL tear was the worst thing you could have. Now it’s nothing. If players now come back stronger after ACL tears, I don’t understand how these other injuries still affect players.

Also, is it time to consider Zack Wheeler and Steven Matz busts?

Its just crazy to think of the hype behind a

Matt Harvey
Noah Syndergaard
Jacob DeGrom
Zack Wheeler
Steven Matz

rotation in 2013
5/7/2018 2:14 AM (edited)
Met fans have no perspective. If they had any, they wouldn't be Met fans!
5/7/2018 6:32 PM
Stifle, Coyote.
5/7/2018 6:38 PM
Remember Bill Pulsipher in 95?
5/11/2018 1:36 AM
DFA Matt Harvey - A Met fan perspective Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.