Advice for becoming a better coach Topic

Posted by zagsrulez on 5/12/2018 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by brianxavier on 5/10/2018 8:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Wales_ on 5/8/2018 12:31:00 PM (view original):
I guess I just have to accept that it is more of a give and take at D3. I used to be way too enamored by high OVR and ended up with what I thought was a star player, who in reality is a liability. I think so far this has really helped me develop a much more complete understanding of this game, it used to be very black and white. It’s funny based on what I know now that I was wondering why I was losing to teams with a lower OVR than mine.
For what it's worth, I think Ostby is okay. Sure, he sucks on defense and isn't the most athletic guy, but he can come off the bench and score and rebound. That's two valuable skills. And depending on the climate of Tark, it might be hard to find athletic big guys. I am willing to take a 50+ ath at D3.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread (just scanned them) but you want to look for guys at D3 that excel in some way. This guys will be good at LP and rebounding... that's solid for a bench player. Also, his defense might not matter that much coming off the bench. It's possible you can move him to PF or Center based on their back up forward and have him guard the guy that isn't a scorer.

Obviously more Athletic skill is great, but sometimes you can't find it. I would have 50 as my low probably, but I think it's acceptable. Especially if you are not playing press and if they have skill in other areas (i.e. LP and rebounding in this case).
There are many times that I struggle to find players with 50+ ATH at the D3 level. So I usually compensate on that with 90+ core ratings.
this guy for example: https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3928866

He is on track for 100 REB. I feel that he will be effective off the bench and would a good possibility as a senior when he has As for IQ. Do you agree/disagree?
I think he will be an effective rebounder and low post scorer. He's not useless.

His sub-50 ATH plus sub-50 DEF means he will always be a massive defensive liability regardless of his IQ. I don't see how you can give him more than 10mpg in a man defense.
5/12/2018 4:44 PM
He will be well over 50 DEF by his senior year. I play press D. In D3, honestly I only require my bigs to have high REB & BLK or high DEF, not both.
5/13/2018 1:51 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 5/13/2018 1:51:00 PM (view original):
He will be well over 50 DEF by his senior year. I play press D. In D3, honestly I only require my bigs to have high REB & BLK or high DEF, not both.
Is he green or blue for defense/athleticism?
5/13/2018 3:15 PM
defense went from blue to black at 36, so his final rating will be between 50-55 area. His ATH is red.
Projected senior ratings:
ATH - 31
REB - 100
DEF - 52
BLK - 100
LP - 100

i truly believe that he will become a decent starter. He will be an asset for rebounding, lowering FG %, and creating points. His low ATH might result in him committing higher fouls but with a high IQ, it won’t be a significant problem. Like most D3 players, he has a flaw, but he also has many positive attributes.

5/13/2018 3:46 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 5/13/2018 3:46:00 PM (view original):
defense went from blue to black at 36, so his final rating will be between 50-55 area. His ATH is red.
Projected senior ratings:
ATH - 31
REB - 100
DEF - 52
BLK - 100
LP - 100

i truly believe that he will become a decent starter. He will be an asset for rebounding, lowering FG %, and creating points. His low ATH might result in him committing higher fouls but with a high IQ, it won’t be a significant problem. Like most D3 players, he has a flaw, but he also has many positive attributes.

Well he is pretty similar to Ostby on my Millsaps team. His final ratings for ATH/DEF will be something like 60/40 and he has sky high LP/DEF/BLK. I have heard conflicting opinions about how useful he truly is, but I believe that he will be a valuable asset off the bench until he is an upperclassmen. I think your guy will be the same way.
5/13/2018 4:06 PM
I don’t think their opinions are conflicting, these forums are mostly used by established coaches who already have a NC under their belt or are pretty damn close to winning one. Their advice is usually geared to helping others go deep in the tourney.

Ostby will get the job done against average opponents, but will definitely suffer against elite bigs. You’ll need to find a big with higher DEF rating if you’re aiming for a long NT run so that you will be able to handle tough inside scorers.

5/13/2018 5:13 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 5/13/2018 5:13:00 PM (view original):
I don’t think their opinions are conflicting, these forums are mostly used by established coaches who already have a NC under their belt or are pretty damn close to winning one. Their advice is usually geared to helping others go deep in the tourney.

Ostby will get the job done against average opponents, but will definitely suffer against elite bigs. You’ll need to find a big with higher DEF rating if you’re aiming for a long NT run so that you will be able to handle tough inside scorers.

Yeah, unfortunately when I was recruiting the class 2 seasons ago I didn’t really grasp what it took for a player to truly be effective. Some players I recruited worked out well, others kinda flopped. So far I don’t think he has hurt in me in the few games and exhibitions I’ve played in. He is definitely an effective scorer/rebounder, but will probably be best used off the bench behind a better defender.
5/13/2018 5:24 PM

This is a spot on analysis. Veteran coaches probably do new coaches somewhat of a disservice in this regard. To over-simplify things, there are three levels of progression in this game: 1. getting good enough to make the NT, 2. getting good enough to advance in the NT and 3. becoming a Final Four-level coach.

Most of the answers posted here have been through the lens of what is needed to achieve level 3 success. This is where mentoring is advantageous. Having one person at a time to bounce ideas off of, so that there isn't a crowd of voices seemingly contradicting each other, would be very beneficial at this point, IMHO.
5/13/2018 5:48 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/13/2018 5:49:00 PM (view original):

This is a spot on analysis. Veteran coaches probably do new coaches somewhat of a disservice in this regard. To over-simplify things, there are three levels of progression in this game: 1. getting good enough to make the NT, 2. getting good enough to advance in the NT and 3. becoming a Final Four-level coach.

Most of the answers posted here have been through the lens of what is needed to achieve level 3 success. This is where mentoring is advantageous. Having one person at a time to bounce ideas off of, so that there isn't a crowd of voices seemingly contradicting each other, would be very beneficial at this point, IMHO.
I suppose it’s a good thing that I have sitemailed a few people who have given me great one on one advice.
5/14/2018 12:14 AM
◂ Prev 123
Advice for becoming a better coach Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.