91 on the fence Topic

When has Duke lost recruiting battles to D2 and D3 schools in HD? Honest question but it would surprise me if it is common for high prestige D1 schools to lose to D2 and D3.
5/8/2018 5:09 PM
Posted by kingsallday on 5/8/2018 5:09:00 PM (view original):
When has Duke lost recruiting battles to D2 and D3 schools in HD? Honest question but it would surprise me if it is common for high prestige D1 schools to lose to D2 and D3.
It's incredibly common for high D1 schools to go after recruits that are currently considering D2 recruits in the second recruiting session and lose. Theoretically, if a PG is committed to a D2 bottomfeeder they would still jump at the chance if Duke called them at the last minute and offered a scholarship, but that doesn't happen in HD.
5/8/2018 5:17 PM
A famous (or infamous if you prefer) example is when A prestige Uconn lost to a D3 school in a dice roll.

I don't remember the coaches involved.
5/8/2018 6:22 PM (edited)
Posted by Benis on 5/8/2018 4:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mamxet on 5/8/2018 4:15:00 PM (view original):
happens in real life

might or might not be good for game play

I dont think its good for the game to have guys who arent even on the big board 100 leave EE

but it for sure happens in real life - IF that matters
Honestly I don't think it does matter. If you use 'it happens in real life' for a reason for something happening in HD then it should apply to everything else too. So Duke shouldn't be losing recruiting battles to D2 and D3 schools... because that doesn't happen in real life.
We have opposable thumbs. Surely we can go beyond “100% realism, or realism doesn’t matter!” nonsense.
5/8/2018 6:14 PM
Posted by mbriese on 5/8/2018 5:17:00 PM (view original):
It's incredibly common for high D1 schools to go after recruits that are currently considering D2 recruits in the second recruiting session and lose. Theoretically, if a PG is committed to a D2 bottomfeeder they would still jump at the chance if Duke called them at the last minute and offered a scholarship, but that doesn't happen in HD.
Keep in mind, by “going after”, we mean giving enough attention to offer a scholarship, but having spent all resources on higher priorities, gambling that the lower division team has not established a foothold on the emergency backup option.

When effort is even, there is no dice roll. When the effort is something north of minimal, there is rarely a dice roll, though fighting off already-invested, high level D2 schools may sometimes require more than a couple visits.
5/8/2018 6:20 PM
I just lost a guy off the big board in Knight. He was picked 57th overall, stupid decision on his part?
5/8/2018 6:49 PM
Ah here we go

It was only A- not A so my fault there.

The D1 A- team put in 15 Home Visits... 15! And lost to a D3 school..

Results like this are not in the same planet of realism (if that's what you care about) and highlights how broken the new system is and what should be changed.
5/8/2018 7:41 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 5/8/2018 6:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mbriese on 5/8/2018 5:17:00 PM (view original):
Keep in mind, by “going after”, we mean giving enough attention to offer a scholarship, but having spent all resources on higher priorities, gambling that the lower division team has not established a foothold on the emergency backup option.

When effort is even, there is no dice roll. When the effort is something north of minimal, there is rarely a dice roll, though fighting off already-invested, high level D2 schools may sometimes require more than a couple visits.
This is what I was trying to get at, that there isn't really a "battle" happening between the D1 and D2 teams. In the "real world", it's true that a recruit would never sign for a D2 team over Duke. In real life, Duke dominates recruiting. This year, Duke signed the #1 PG, #1 SG, #1 SF, #7 SF, and #1 PF. Last season, Duke signed the #2 PG, #3 SG, #14 SG, #20 SF, and #1 PF. Since 2015, Duke has signed at least 3 players rated in the top 5 at their positions. I would assume that this is not the direction WIS is trying to go in, especially since evening the odds a little bit and also by eliminating conference bonus cash.
5/8/2018 7:53 PM
We’re not saying that’s how it should be. We’re mocking the idea of saying, “We need to change things to make HD more realistic!” when really that is the LAST thing everyone would want. What you really want is for bad, “unfair” things to not happen to your roster.
5/8/2018 9:43 PM
Posted by Benis on 5/8/2018 7:41:00 PM (view original):
Ah here we go

It was only A- not A so my fault there.

The D1 A- team put in 15 Home Visits... 15! And lost to a D3 school..

Results like this are not in the same planet of realism (if that's what you care about) and highlights how broken the new system is and what should be changed.
I’ve only heard of one other instance of anything like this occurring. For the most part, a D3 team is absolutely sunk by any level of effort by a D1 program, especially a high level one. I encouraged the participants of the other one (it was a battle for an international, that’s all I remember about it) to send in a ticket to clarify, because I suspected what happened was that somehow the D1 effort - all of which came in on the cycle the player made a decision - didn’t get counted. There was some question of that in beta, with a few battles seeming to suggest that effort took a cycle to “stick”, and that a player could make a decision on the cycle you decided to love bomb, and your effort wouldn’t count.

I never heard back on whether they asked or not. But I’ve also never heard of another instance where 15, or even 5 visits from a high level D1 failed to swat away D3 effort.
5/8/2018 11:31 PM
The game has an area (D2) where there are no early entries. If one doesn't like early entries then one can play D2.

Being a Kentucky fan, I can tell you that the college players do not make rational decisions.. Guys go who shouldn't and guys stay who should go.

TBH.. I don't watch enough Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina games to judge their EEs. But I do watch each and every UK game every season, most more than once. I am always surprised with at least one EE decision by a UK player every year.
5/9/2018 3:28 AM
Well UK is an unusual situation where the coach actually forces players out so he can make room for the next great recruiting class. He did that with the Harrison twins.
5/9/2018 6:17 AM
Posted by Benis on 5/9/2018 6:17:00 AM (view original):
Well UK is an unusual situation where the coach actually forces players out so he can make room for the next great recruiting class. He did that with the Harrison twins.
He has to do that or he would have HUGE salary cap issues
5/9/2018 2:55 PM
Generally curious about this, is it true? Any idea how he does it? Does he just say go pro or I pull your scholarship?
5/9/2018 7:51 PM
Posted by mamxet on 5/9/2018 2:55:00 PM (view original):
He has to do that or he would have HUGE salary cap issues
Well put, metmax. I don't have firm numbers on coach Cal's recruiting budget... It's probably fluid
5/9/2018 8:13 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
91 on the fence Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.