US - USSR - World War Two Topic

Were they allies?

I say "yes"

Tangplay says "no"

Please opine
5/10/2018 11:18 AM
Google found 398,000 references to the subject. Every reference on the 1st 20 pages says that they WERE allies, but I'm sure tang knows better.
5/10/2018 11:45 AM
He was a history minor. So yeah. He is the SME for sure......
5/10/2018 11:48 AM
I don't think they fit MY DEFINITION of an alliance. You can disagree if you want. But I am entitled to my opinion.

Alliance:
1. Working together
2. Multiple similar social, economic, political, military goals
3. Not actively trying to limit power of the other party.

If you tell me that USA and USSR fit definitions 2 and 3, you are lying.
5/10/2018 11:32 PM
Let's say Canada got nukes and bombed the USA and Russia totally separately. Russia and the USA, bitter enemies, both declare war on Canada independently, and both fight and defeat Canada. Both of them try to take as much territory as possible during and after the war in order to limit the others' power. Russia and the USA almost go to war immediately after they defeat Canada.

Were Russia and the USA allied in this scenario?

I would say no. CCCP would say yes.
5/10/2018 11:35 PM
Allies in an essential part of WW2...yes. Out of necessity. Before and after? **** no.

Basic history. Jesus.
5/11/2018 12:05 AM
Yeah but I don't consider that a true alliance.
5/11/2018 12:15 AM
Posted by tangplay on 5/10/2018 11:32:00 PM (view original):
I don't think they fit MY DEFINITION of an alliance. You can disagree if you want. But I am entitled to my opinion.

Alliance:
1. Working together
2. Multiple similar social, economic, political, military goals
3. Not actively trying to limit power of the other party.

If you tell me that USA and USSR fit definitions 2 and 3, you are lying.
Your definition is flawed. Therefore your conclusion is incorrect.
5/11/2018 7:24 AM
Those Allies were in a bitter race to Berlin, Ike veered off. Our " allies" also refused to fight Japan until the last days so they could scoop up territory
5/11/2018 7:42 AM
Posted by bronxcheer on 5/11/2018 7:42:00 AM (view original):
Those Allies were in a bitter race to Berlin, Ike veered off. Our " allies" also refused to fight Japan until the last days so they could scoop up territory
Correct. You are correct. Tang is also correct in another thread.

He was wrong to say we were not allies. He cleaned it up when he admitted we were military allies.

GOOD JOB!
5/11/2018 10:58 AM
It only took 48 hours...
5/11/2018 11:04 AM
U.S.-Soviet Alliance, 1941–1945. Although relations between the Soviet Union and the United States had been strained in the years before World War II, the U.S.-Soviet alliance of 1941–1945 was marked by a great degree of cooperation and was essential to securing the defeat of Nazi Germany.
5/11/2018 11:04 AM
In spite of these differences, the defeat of Nazi Germany was a joint endeavor that could not have been accomplished without close cooperation and shared sacrifices. Militarily, the Soviets fought valiantly and suffered staggering casualties on the Eastern Front. When Great Britain and the United States finally invaded northern France in 1944, the Allies were finally able to drain Nazi Germany of its strength on two fronts. Finally, two devastating atomic bomb attacks against Japan by the United States, coupled with the Soviets’ decision to break their neutrality pact with Japan by invading Manchuria, finally led to the end of the war in the Pacific.
5/11/2018 11:07 AM
Cccp1014, who ignores Russian treatment of his people, also seems to ignore history.
5/11/2018 12:10 PM
This has nothing to do with this thread.
5/11/2018 12:34 PM
123 Next ▸
US - USSR - World War Two Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.